Toyota Camry Reviews

Toyota Camry Reviews and Owner Comments

bought this car brand new in 2013. front seats are extremely uncomfortable. long trips are a killer. No real leg room to speak off. Interior dash and door panel looks like cheap plastic. adjusting radio controls can be distracting while you are driving. If seats were any more uncomfortable would have traded in car!
bought toyota xle new in feb 2002,in april 2011 at 230000 mi.3 head bolts loosen,had to rebour.at 203000 put first set of new brakes on, since then,new starter,cat,and regular maintance things.have now 349000 on this. excellance car
I have a 2008 Camry and will never own another. It is a piece of junk. Eats oil, eats gas, hesitation, brakes and rotors gone, mildew smell in heater/AC, AND THE WORST PART OF ALL - WAY TO MANY BLIND SPOTS WHEN DRIVING - I DO NOT FEEL SAFE IN THIS CAR..
I currently built and drive a 1991 DX 3SFE 5sp. Purchased as a beater to keep city miles off of my Cummins. I have had 1986 (SOHC is super reliable but lacks power), 1987, 1989, 1997, 1998, and 2010 Camry, with a 2004 in the family that I maintain. 1986 and 1987 were purchased new in the family and my 1986 lasted to 268K and the 1987 still runs with a broken speedo showing 232K. I wanted another 2nd gen because the build quality from Japan is far superior to what we have had this decade from Toyota. I am 3rd owner of this car, first owner took excellent care of her, 2nd owner was a college girl who probably didnt change the oil... ever. Bought with 142K, replaced all of the maint items (clutch, timing belt, seals, distributor shaft o-rings, ICV, ball joints, tie rods, brakes, struts (at a shop), full tune up and all gaskets) for around $3K. I even put new rubber on my old 15" Enkei RF-1s I bought in 2003 for a 1991 Celica that were in a relative's basement for years and they look like they were meant for this car. I put this time and effort into an older car because our 2010 3.5 SE (6th gen) was such a disappointment, I know the reliability of the 1st/2nd/4th gen Camry with the expectation this car will be tip top for at least another 100K, and I also wanted OBDI for maintenance reasons. It is running 28mpg in 80% city traffic, costs $25 to fill from fumes, and does well enough in the snow. Aside from a seat rail that is going to be handled very soon, I am pleased with my investment.
My car has 98,000 miles on it. As a stay-at-home mom, I use it sparingly during the school year, and on long-distance car trips each summer. It's been a great car for us.
My 91 now has almost 260,000 and is still going strong and looking good. Just now replacing a couple of motor mounts and the radiator just developed a seal leak around the top, but parts for all this cost me only about $150. Overall this has been THE best car I've ever owned hands down. Not fancy but ALWAYS runs. CHange the oil and fluids and the absic maintenance items (alternatorm starter, master cylinder, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, PS pump, wheel bearings). I did the CV's myself which was a pain and don't recommend but the new ones will last longer than the car. Hoping to get 300,000. These cars are amazing
First and last Toyota for me. I have a 2008 Camry LE with 106,000 miles around 80,000 + miles starting smell like burnt rubber or antifreeze took in to local mechanic said I needed an new engine replacement. My car using a lot of oil which dipstick boned dry and all spark plugs etc., are melted because engine is ruined in $$$. Don't have money also contacted Toyota Corp who wouldn't solve my case but I am expected to take money out of my pocket buying a new engine. This car might be the cheapest Camry had features like an upgraded model but I religiously take excellent care of all my cars I buy and keep until 200,000 or up but don't believe will keep this one not too long. Money I spend getting new engine replacement could be on a new car payment hate to say but I can't stand Toyota at all this company is horrible look at unintended acceleration and engine sludge problems who knows what else this company is hiding not telling consumers that buy these cars thinking would last me forever. I am going to sell this car off to a junkyard and put a down payment getting something like Hyundai or American made automobile. Never I own another Toyota not even my family won't drive them either if I had the money definitely get a lawsuit with Toyota because this is ridiculous having to pay something is not your fault. Know most people don't take care of their vehicles as should but me I am a strict person who stays on top of maintenance doing oil changes between 3,000 - 6,000 miles bought this car new now starting to be like a beat up car. I'm done!!!
I purchased my Camry new, but have had some surprising problems with it. As others have noted, alignment is a BIG problem. It always wants to pull to the left and I've had several alignments at several different places with the same result. My struts leaked and had to be replaced (all four). That was an expensive repair for something that came prematurely. I had premature brake wear on the rear brakes and had to replace them. I haven't touched the front brakes yet which indicates another problem...I have never had a car where the rear brakes wore out before the front brakes. Lastly, oil consumption is starting to be a problem. Unfortunately I kind of consider this car a clunker. I had expected to keep this car for many years but I can see that won't happen. Toyota's quality reputation is undeserved in my opinion.
I bought a 2004 Camry from a relative who bought it new. It currently has 110K miles. It had been a great car up until the last month. On e long road trip, after a brief stop, the car would not start again. I had it towed, they said that it started fine for them and nothing was wrong. SO while cruising down a busy highway in torrential rain, the car shuddered a few times and turned off. Therefore no steering at 70 mph, in the rain, narrow shoulder by a deep ravine. Had it towed to a dealership where they said it need 3K worth of various work (I have been meticulous with maintenance), but that it has turned off because of low battery power causing an error code. No one has been able to explain why an 'error code' would just turn a car off at 70 mph. After talking dealership #1 into what I needed to continue with our trip, they said battery and serpentine belt. Car ran okay for another 1,500 miles home. Then while driving locally, the car turned off again, replicating the same issue I'd had "repaired". I towed it to a local dealership due to warranty on the battery and got a completely different diagnosis. This time it was a crank shaft problem linked to a 'crank code' caused by dead sparkplugs. I took it from the dealership, who would not touch on why there were two different answers to the same exact problem. I took it to a local mechanic that I trust and so far, so good. At this point I am 2K in the hole for a "great car". I will never buy another Toyota. Ironically I received a $22 check from Toyota 3 months ago referencing a class action settlement with no further details and that by cashing the check, I was releasing them from liability. I did NOT cash the check. After the debacle of the last few weeks, I am glad because I suspect something big is about to come out.
Bought V6 used in 2006 with 162K now 235K. Good thing is that it just keeps running for my 70 mile/day commute. I replaced gas filter, O2 sensor, temp sensor, radiator hose, turn signal lever etc. in addition to regular maintenance (oil, filter, tire and brakes). Rack & pinion leaked with some Lucas oil it stopped. Car is running fine and past SMOG checks, however it has cheap interior (mine is a XLE) and the ride is boring. It has some power when you need but the 4 speed tranny gets stuck when pushed hard.
Bought the Camry brand new. Very happy owner 4cylinder is smooth running like the ride although have the cheaper LE model this car is the best ever had. I am at 180,000 miles haven't noticed any problems with my Camry did get something fix in engine be a leaking oil pump cost $200.00 fixing add that with A/C need repairing at 67,000 miles nothing else hasn't gone wrong with car. It is comfortable handles well plenty of room has good acceleration this car was built to have excellent speed with a 4cylinder engine its at best driving this car loving my Camry. ATM transmission still shifts smooth I changed oil with Castrol and use Lightweight 5w30 tranny fluid doing flushes for the ATM transmission Camry has always received good maintenance mechanic tells me this car will go another 100,000 miles just took care of most minor things had to be done on the car but can trust because its very dependable lasting me much longer on the road.
Purchased in late 2011 has few problems. The car has been acting up lately like won't start loss acceleration and A/C smells like mildew. Took in this week to shop because engine makes a loud noise at 30 mph mechanic did some coils but nothing showed also experience transmission problems the car will get stuck into 3rd gear I am taking in to a specialist about this problem. I bought this car because had a 1991 Corolla that was a darn good car but now Toyota quality has falling down in last couple years this is first and last Toyota will ever buy. I'm switching to Honda.
Just bought car 11 months ago I enjoy every bit of it. It does have little rust around wheel wheels but a wonderful car with 221,000 miles. I got clutch installed plus change out spark plugs etc. This little car runs well finally pass inspection one thing dislike about this car be electric seatbelts but has electric windows, locks, am/fm cassette player, security/alarm and keyless entry. Starts up right away no issues I see distributor cap might needs fixing after while but so far my Camry has been very flawless it looks decent on age it is but truly the most dependable car I have ever had.
We got this car off craigslist had 147,000 miles did put little investment in repairs like struts, brakes, A/C, 2 window motors, wheel bearing and CV boots. It is a Northern car purchased in Connecticut to say with weather climate this owner really took care of this car. No rust, dents nowhere around car looks good in remarkably great condition we have 234,000 miles haven't had no expensive problems with it. Gas mileage estimates 28 mpg 4 cylinder engine is quick very comfortable lots of room its been a keenest car we driven after bought 7 years ago very happy with it driving around town while been well maintained.
I lose faith in Toyota. This car has been well maintained but now will never buy a Toyota ever again had a 1995 didn't even have all these repairs. My Camry burns oil like crazy and A/C has a mildew smell from the vents took to dealer got fixed now more problems the dashboard is melting. I spent quite few getting these things fixed on this damn car it starts to ride rough while idles terrible. It stalled at stop sign took back to dealer they said need an oil pump the engine was estimated in high expense in fixing what needs to be done. Now I'm trying see get an engine replacement but sense I am out of warranty Toyota wants me to pay half of the cost. Believe me never trust a Toyota again this car has 79,000 miles don't ever abuse or driven hard plus transmission slipping into 2nd gear think this car is nothing but a piece of junk. Stay away from Toyota.
Bought my Camry used. Am at 150K miles love the ride and power gets good fuel economy purchased at Hertz was a rental at 69,000 miles now I have 140k miles. Wouldn't dare look elsewhere but at Toyota very spacious and stylish with LE trim model a good vehicle with best Toyota quality.
Love my 92 Camry LE bought from original guy owner who took excellent care of this car. That was in 2011 since than no problems had 63,000 on odometer now driven 186,000 changed timing belt and tires replaced. Engine runs quiet very fun to drive gets good gas mileage. Think V4 has bit more power than 6 cylinder Camry can handle highways so well I am driving until another 90,000 miles. It was my 1st Toyota but when this car dies my next car will be another Toyota know these cars are reliable mines haven't shown any history of mechanical problems serving me excellent up/down the streets a truly amazing car.
Bought this car in 2012 it's the most reliable car I have ever owned. I always get scheduled maintenance done making last a very long time planning to drive as did with my 1989 Mazda 626 at 300,000 miles. The mechanic that has worked on my vehicles in the last 30 years says this car have is reliable and never needs nothing done on the engine first got it had 120,000 miles now I have driven to New York and Minnesota at 268,000 miles. The Camry is a comfortable car being a retired mom (LOL) love having fun driving it no problems I commute a lot in this car. In next couple hours driving to Cincinnati visiting all my relatives from Christmas gets 30 mpg on V6 engine. It only requires low maintenance changed brakes, rotors, struts and spark plugs minor things etc. Truly love my car just can't pass reliability with a Toyota vehicle it is a beautiful car being it's almost 13 years old absolutely love this gem.
This was my very first car and I absolutely LOVED it. Had 350,000 miles on it when we bought it and it and I am confident that it could have made it another 50,000 and maybe even more! It was a very smooth ride and we never had any problems with it other then the usual maintenance. Sadly a lady came up my street going 45mph and totaled it while it was parked. This car will forever make me biased towards camry's!
this car will not out any heat below 20 degrees. below zero temps you can count on being cold for your trip It takes forever to warm up inside. If you drive it for about 5 miles, let it sit for 30 minutes, then it will warm up
We have a 2008 Camry SE, this car has been phenomenal so far. It currently has 94,000 on the clock and we bought it new. Yes it has had some minor flaws, the visors did break (eventually covered under a recall) and the brakes do wobble a little coming down long mountain grades. Other than that I have changed oil and tires and that is it. I am still even on the original brakes. Fuel economy for the V6 is close to 30 on the highway. My water pump is starting to make a little noise, but for 100k miles and the only issue is a water pump? I will take it. Don't let these couple of complaints keep you from this vehicle. Toyota sells thousands of these cars annually, if they sucked that bad then people wouldn't be driving them. Oh buy American you say? Some of my WORST vehicles were from Govt Motors, I drive a Ford to work everyday and it seems to be okay, but our mining roads are rattling it apart.
My 2008 Camry Hybrid works fine, except the sun visor broke in 2011, merely 3 year-old. :( I have searched the web and found it was a common problem. Toyota did not recognize it is a design/manufacturing flaw and refuse to recall the product. It cost about $90 to $160 to git it fixed. I tried to fix it and cost me less than and hour and less a dollar. Here is my video: http://youtu.be/yvPxParKy9w Couple years later, Toyota realized the problem but stop short to make recall. If owner complains, they will fix it for free.
At around 55,000 miles, my 2008 Toyota Camry started drinking oil. Using approximately 1 quart every 800 miles. According to the Toyota owners manual this is acceptable so they won't do anything about it. I have to carry oil around in my trunk all the time, just in case my oil light comes on. Not much use in changing the oil since it is always "new". Now my dam sun visor is broken on the drivers side and it won't stay up! I WILL NEVER buy a TOYOTA AGAIN!
I bought this used in 2007 from a kia dealer with 248,000 miles as I turned in my 2007 328i BMW $40K leased car. Now 2014 and still drives brand new with over 307,000 miles. Please note I changed the oil with high mileage oi1 every 3K miles along with adding Lucas engine stop leak (does NOT leak). Note: Older cars need more TLC. I replaced the rack when I bought it. I replaced the EGR valve/sensor, intake air hose, strut mounts with new struts and tires, mass air flow sensor. Power steering pump, power steering pressure hose. With older cars things wear out over time. Upper mount torque strut. Oil leak was oil housing unit and front main seals...including cam and crank seals. OVER TIME I FIXED WHATEVER BROKE AT THAT TIME...I DID NOT WANT TO SPEND $25k ON A NEW CAR. I paid $1,999 for car used. It is basic reliable transportation. Good for someone who has monthly mortgage payments and puts their money into an increasing asset rather than a deprec. asset.
i bought a 1992 toyota camry from a private owner. he said he bought it new . it looked well taken care of to me. he had it recently inspected. anyway ibought it because of the gas milage which was good. bakes were ok. drive train was ok.wireing in door, window would not go down or up some time. engine was good for a couple of years than seals startid to leak very bad on right side of motor. had new exhaust put on. heating cold and drafty in the winter- cab not well insulated.wind shield would freeze up in winter. 4 cyl. i guess. steering ok. suspension fair. unibody was badley rusted was unrepairable. would not pass inspection. joangreensburg@aol.com
i bought a 1994 toyota camry le. 6 cyl. i liked it very much ,until the wiring that went to the battery caught on fire. also i was in an accident and another car hit the left front of the car and the air bags didnt deploy. my daughter hit the windshield at this time and had a concussion at this time. the car was totaled at this time. never bought another toyota after that. they are also colder in winter i think, they are not that well insulated. thank you for letting me voice my opinion. joangreensburg@aol.com
..MY CAR HAS BEEN BURNING OIL BAD..I FOUND OUT IT WAS THE ENGINE..I TOOK IT TO A COUPLE OF TOYOTA DEALERS..DONE WHOULD ADDRESS THE PROBLEM SO I TOOK IT BACK TO WHERE IBROUGTH IT ..THEY DID A OIL CONSUMPTION TEST ON MY CAMRY AND FOUND IT WAS BURNING ALMOST 5 QUARTS IN LESS THAT 900 MILES..THEY CALL THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND GOT IT APPROVED TO BE FIXED..IT WAS THE PISTINS..IT WOULD HAVE COST ME 2900.00 THEY WILL FIX IT BUT YOU HAVE TO FIRST TAKE IT IN TO GET IT TESTED......ALL DEALERS ARENT GOING TO DO IT. SO YOU HAVE TO BE PERSISTENT. ALSO FOUND OUT THAT MY WATER PUMP NEED CHANGING..YOU HAVE TO DROP THE ENGINE TO CHANGE IT...SINCE THEY WERE ALREADY FIXING THE ENGINE..I GGOT A BIG BREAK ON THE REPAIR PRICE FOR THAT. I DONT WONT T O MENTION MY DEALERS NAME..MY CAR IS GETTING FIXED AS WE SPEAK. BUT THEY ARE GREAT!!!
I inherited this 1997 Camry LE 4cyl when my mom passed away a year and a half ago, at the time it had 190,000 miles on it, it now has 235,000 on it, I am the 4th owner, I change the oil every 5,000 miles, it has had the struts replaced, the exhaust cat included ( it was a north east car at the begining of it's life ) and the AC compressor, I use it to commute 60 miles one way to work, 75% highway, 25% city, i am averaging around 29MPG, very good car
Just changed my rear disk pads, front pads and rotors for a total of about $170 worth of parts from NAPA using premier pads. The vehicle has 128K and that was the first time the rear pads were changed. The front pads had been changed only once. I changed the front rotors not because they were worn, but I think they were warped because you would get vibration when stopping. Runs like a top again. Terry
I have a 2007 camry le and is nothing but problems, the engine burns oil since 40,000 miles, the car shakes on fwy about 65 mph, the sun visor came of by it self, the side airbag cover came off too,on a hot day the dashboard is like melting down, i own a 2005 pontiac grand prix with more miles and runs better that my camry.