Reviews for Toyota Avalon years:

Toyota Avalon Reviews and Owner Comments

Toyota AvalonOwner Reviews (64 reviews)
    QuirkyJoe, Maryville, TN, July 01, 2014 21:20
    I got this car second hand. The original owner worked for a local Toyota dealer and his wife drove it for 13 years. In that time they had the rack and pinon replaced and had the engine rebuilt due to a recall for engine sludge for this model. When they got into the engine they discovered this car didn't have the same problem and was in great shape. I have all the original service papers/receipts. I bought the car in Jan 2010 and have only had to do the regular maintenance and replace the battery due to the door switch (engine off) not shutting off my lights after opening the drivers door (sunny days a failed to notice the lights not turning off and it cost me a new battery). It's do for rear breaks and system flush. I should also flush the radiator soon. I've only driven it about 15,000 miles over the past 4+ years.
    4RunnerDude, Nottingham, MD, May 12, 2014 07:01
    I bought my 2006 Avalon Limited brand new in December 26,2005. I wrote a shining review on it a few months after I had it. If I knew then what I know now, I would never have bought that car new. I would have leased it and turned it in at the end of the lease and gotten another one. The manufacturers are no fools. They make cars to last up to the end of the warranty or a little beyond. It has been 8yrs and 160,000 miles and in that time I've learned the meaning of what it is to own a luxury vehicle. It means that you pay and you pay a lot for that luxury. The toggle button for the GPS Nav doesn't work right so it takes forever to try and set a destination or scroll through any of the other features of the display that requires the toggle button on the command console thingy. I don't even know how much it would cost to get fixed. The rear shade went up about 3yrs ago and the dealer wants $2000 to repair. I replaced a headlight(HID) and the dealer wants $275. The engine was dropped twice to repair an oil leak under the warranty so I had no out of pocket expense. Now that the warranty has expired and I must pay for the existing oil leaks that keep sprouting up. I recently learned that 2006 was a bad year for the Avalon, but that didn't stop the A/C from malfunctioning. Last year the A/C went up. Why oh why does the dealer want $2300 to repair. I'm so through with owning luxury vehicles. I've made up my mind that if I ever get a luxury vehicle then it would be a lease. I don't know if these are minor concerns or not, but to pay upwards of $40k for a luxury vehicle you don't expect things like this to set you back like they do and it's very disheartening when you buy a car based on the car manufacturer's reputation. Now, in all fairness, I must write the pro's about this car and believe me there are pro's. The acceleration is still mind-blowing. The transmission is quirky at times, but still performs flawlessly. The electronics get a pass for the most part with the exception of the previously mentioned problems with the media console toggle button. Another quirk, though, is that there's no darn volume indicator to show you how loud you are turning the volume up for the blasted radio. Since my income has taken a hit and I have a large mortgage, I've realized I don't have any extra money to pay for expensive repairs on anything so the only wise choice I can make now is to lease my next car. Even still, who in their right minds would pay $2000 to have a power rear shade repaired? I took the fuse out to stop the annoying grinding gear noise from the shade trying to go down whenever I put the transmission in reverse. I've learned a expensive lesson though and LORD willing it will be the last expensive lesson for a long time to come. When it comes to cars, don't buy and hold expensive cars unless you have the finances for the maintenance over the long haul. It's not worth it and you can lease a later model vehicle without all the drama of repairs and finding a good affordable mechanic. In summary, I would say the the car during the warranty period was amazing to have, but this 2006 Toyota Avalon Limited did not live up to my expectations of Toyota Reliability and I should know because this is my 4th Toyota in 30 years.
  • 2003 Toyota Avalon
    Visitor, Manchester, NH, February 25, 2014 05:55
    Owned Camry's up until this one. I love the conformable ride and so do our friends. Only problem, master cylinder went @ 108,200. All in all the car has been great. Just remember your service check-up, its been a fantastic car for us.
    Visitor, Chehalis, WA, February 22, 2014 22:59
    2005 Avalon XL; purchased it used in 2007 with 17K miles. Currently 111K and drives like the day we bought it, great car. Very comfortable, reliable, and problem free. We have serviced it regularly at the Toyota Dealership and replaced the brakes (rotors & pads, all 4 corners, 650 w/labor)at 90K, to be expected. This has been an outstanding vehicle for our family and gets 25-29 mpg with plenty of power. Avalon's are great cars. Advice; try to purchase the 2005 model year to current, depending on budget. The 3.5L motor doesn't have any issues and the transmission's are very solid (5 & 6 speed versions). There's a reason they have outstanding resale.
    Visitor, Bryant, AR, November 04, 2013 11:34
    One owner with 256,000 miles; a great car for over 18 years; only 2 negatives; I have had to replace the front passenger power window regulator twice and the rear suspension has a "noise" problem that neither Toyota dealers or independent repair shops have been able to diagnose and repair. Otherwise, this car is a winner!
  • 2008 Toyota Avalon
    Visitor, Morganton, NC, October 30, 2013 14:04
    purchased 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 3.5V6 engine with 30, 205 miles one owner in great shape. Shortly after it started making soft pinging noises in the engine when first started up. I bought it in Feb 2013, and now 10/30/13, have 37,000 miles and in the engine intermittent and at times much worse than others it sound like the lifters are making noise in the engine. I took it to the dealership purchased from and they say it is nothing to worry about and all ok. I don't like hearing the noise and would like it fixed, but they hesitate to do it. I bought a 4yr extended warranty for all major repair. Does anyone else hear these noises in their engine when starting or after driving awhile it will do it and usually when stopping and then starting at a light, it will do it for short periods.
    Avery Automotive, Wichita, KS, July 31, 2013 05:28
     Technician
    I have had this car from 2007. Gets great mpg and has a lot of power. I have done all the recommended service to car and tires and brakes that's it. Very fun to drive and lot of run.
    Visitor, Cape Vincent, NY, July 17, 2013 20:42
    595547 klms and still going. Amazing car. Balanced, comfortable and well thought out. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Just change the fluids every 5K
    Visitor, Fountain Valley, CA, February 06, 2013 10:38
    55,600 miles, only replacements are tires and one battery. Like new and the best driving car ever.
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, January 28, 2013 19:17
    I have owned this 2000 avalon since 2003. It has never left me anywhere. I've had problems with the rear stabilzer links. I had a engine sludge problem, because I didn't change my oil as scheduled. I flushed the engine and had the oil passages blown out. this car just runs and runs. I have 250,000 on it. You can't beat the quality of a toyota.
    Visitor, Inman, SC, January 14, 2013 17:44
    Bought this one used with 114,000 miles. Have had nothing but continuous expensive repairs. Love the looks of the car, both inside and out. Love the ride and all the conveniences but hate the expense. From papers left in car, new price was $35,774. I paid $7900. Have paid out about $7500. Which means I paid over $15,000 for a car that list at 12,000.
    tazmaz, Sacramento, CA, October 17, 2012 23:46
    Bought Avalon new and have 140,000 miles on it and only have changed oil, wipers and tires at regular intervals, brakes twice and spark plugs at 100,000 miles ... nothing else. Need to get in for cooling system flush no though overdue
    huggy703, Greenville, WI, August 18, 2012 17:45
    This is the second Avalon we have owned. Thefirst was a 2002 and had no problems when we traded it at 50,000 miles. Other than oil and filter, and wiper blades, we stuck nothing else into it. We have 95,000 on our 2005 Touring and the only thing we have done is the oil and filter changes.wiper blades, a set of brake pads at 60,000 and 2 sets of tires and a new battery in 2010. My wife drives it everyday to work and we have taken numerous trips with it and never had a problem.
  • 1998 Toyota Avalon
    Visitor, Land O Lakes, FL, August 06, 2012 10:59
    My car is making a knocking noise increasing in loudness. If it is not the motor, what else could it be? My car has slightly over 230,000 miles.
    Visitor, East Brunswick, NJ, July 28, 2012 19:14
    this car is like a Camry XLE from later years...solid as can be...
    Visitor, Dublin, NC, July 16, 2012 18:51
    My 2000 Avalon which I bought new, has 187,000 miles. Except for routine maintenance, it has virtually been problem free. I have a new Camry but I love my Avalon best-it rides like a Lexus still.
    Visitor, Anaheim, CA, June 30, 2012 20:33
    I have owned Toyotas since 1973, and this is the first dud I've had. It was wonderful at first, but I have had nothing but problems since. I've experienced virtually every problem you can find on the Internet regarding this car, including 4 recalls. The steering consistently pulls right, and I've chewed through tires. I had the oil line burst, shimmy in the wheels at freeway speeds, oxygen sensors go out 4 times, among others. And now, at only 67K miles, I just got an estimate for over $4000 to repair the rack and pinion and an oil leak in the timing cover. If you're considering buying this model, run!
    Visitor, Vero Beach, FL, June 29, 2012 10:49
    Bought my 2000 Avalon in Dec 2003, with 135K on the odometer. Had brakes replaced in 2010, as well as catalytic converter a month earlier. Now have over 175K. No major problems other than those, and it has been one of the nicest cars I've owned (my 93 Bonneville was roomier). I need to replace my spark plugs and am wondering if the iridium tipped plugs recommended are necessary, or is it just a manufacturer's suggestion. They are more expensive. Would it harm the engine if stock plugs were used?
    Visitor, Denver, CO, June 26, 2012 12:05
    I live in colorado with steep foothills. I have to replace brake pads three times in7 years. The milage was 50 k when I buytin 2005, 2012 has 148k. Had idler arms replaced, front and rear. True about toyota delerships replacing parts/ they replaced my water pump after having to repair a hose, to save me labor costs later. Frunt wheel bearings had to be replaced just after I bought it. (squealed cornering.) The engine has great pickup on the road. Rear seating is quite roomie. The anti skid and allwheel drive is most excellent. It has gotten out of some hairy situations in mud and snow. (just let the computer do its job) ps the flap over gas cape won't work when you pull inside gas cap cover opener.
    Visitor, Payson, AZ, June 13, 2012 07:08
    I have a 96 with 300K miles on it and it still runs very strong. The body is falling apart faster than the engine. Now I have a 2000 Avalon as well and this car is so comfortable. It drive very good and has a strong engine. I change the oil every 3k miles. Car has 110K miles on it and so far I have had no problems. Stick with Toyota folks....You'll love them.
    Visitor, College Station, TX, March 20, 2012 14:36
    I bought a 2001 Avalon new, has 110,00 miles now and still love it. Needs a wheel alignment & have had problems with the engine light, this is the 3rd time it came on and that is the emissions things. Has never been worked on other than the emissions in 11 years..
    Visitor, Miami, FL, March 05, 2012 20:55
    I purchased my 2001 avalon xl 2 weeks ago with 126,000 miles and it is flawless. I commute 70 miles daily and with this car I had to look at the speedometer twice and could not believe I was going 90mph...no wind noise, velvet smooth ride. This is my 2nd Avalon the first being a 1995 xl that I retired with 297,750 miles on it. Plan on keeping this one for 6 years (120,000 miles). I went to have an alarm installed and across the street was a used car dealer and I observed a family test drive and look over what appeared to be a '99 Avalon so I walked over there and asked the guy if he was buying the car, he responded that he was thinking about so I told him flat out 'Buy it". Avalon's are the best kept auto secret.
  • 2008 Toyota Avalon
    Visitor, Hillsborough, NC, March 01, 2012 10:49
    Replaced condenser at 15,000 miles for $500 as rock hit condenser and damaged it. Toyota said road hazard no warranty coverage. Same thing at 62000 miles. Another500$. This is obviously a design defect. No more Junk Toyota for me. Obviously there is improper protection for the condenser. JUNK JUNK and more JUNK Toyota DOES NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT
    Visitor, Petal, MS, February 14, 2012 11:21
    We hate our 2010 Toyota Avalon (39,800 miles). The motor makes a tapping noise, sounds like a diesel truck. We have complained to dealership about this for over one year. They said there's nothing they can do about it. Leather seat was showing wear but they did replace. The quality is not what it's built up to be. There were many recalls on this car.
    Visitor, Harvard, MA, February 05, 2012 12:36
    I bought my 2001 Avalon new early '01 and have 291,500 miles on it. The biggest problem was a rear suspension noise issue which did not get fixed despite replacement of most of the parts. Eventually, a local mechanic discovered that the trailing arm bolts were stripped, something he had never seen before, and something two dealers and other mechanics had "missed." I replaced the computer (with a used one I had rebooted at a dealer). A recent problem with the timing was caused by critters getting into the timing belt area. Now, with all the miles, the car runs beautifully and I am looking forward to trying for 400K.
    Visitor, Rockwall, TX, January 24, 2012 06:39
    My 2011 toyota avalon has 9000 miles on it. At about 8000 miles I began to notice a pop in the steering collum when I would turn in either direction. The dealer stated that they would probably have to change out the steering colum assy. but would have to get authority from the toyota factory. I am still waiting. It is a great driving auto and very smooth but I am not happy abour having to wait for some one with authority to decide if they are going to repair it or not. The early model 2011s had this problem so if you buy be sure and check the vin number to see if that car is in the problem vins.
    Visitor, Leonia, NJ, January 21, 2012 19:03
    Wish I could afford a new car jap junk made in non-union assembly plants. Whats with the brakes?
  • 2003 Toyota Avalon
    Visitor, Rapid City, SD, November 30, 2011 07:44
    have 110,000 miles. been getting a thumping noise from the rear. Have replaced struts and sway bar bushings, still getting the thumping noise. Looking for thoughts as cause. Please reply to drwnbhlr@rushmore.com thank you
    Visitor, Phoenix, AZ, September 26, 2011 15:09
    I have a 2001 TOYOTA AVALON 123,000 miles .THE ONLY CAR I KNOW THAT CAN KEEP A 70 deg inside while 115 deg outside for an hour at IDLE WITH NO CHANGE IN ENGINE TEMPERATURE!!! DO I NEED TO SAY MORE???!!!
    ildephonse, Voorhees, NJ, September 13, 2011 12:40
    I have a 2011 avalon with 4700 miles. their is a whisling sound inside car between 2000 and 2500 rpms it sounds almost like a turbo charger.also in drive without AC on engine rpm drops down slowly while sitting to the point that car starts to shake. tech rep ststes this is normal. I am very mechanically inclined an old school mechanic and not crazy or ill.does any one out there have a cliue or suggestion.my e-mail is frankwf809@comcast.net
    Visitor, Grove City, OH, September 12, 2011 17:56
    My 1995 Avalon XLS has 308,000 miles on it. It's been and still is a great car, having only required one emergency fix - a bad A/C compressor that shorted out the heater/vent fan circuits causing those fuses to blow. Over the years, I've done mileage-related replacements on preventative maintenance schedule - tires, belts, hoses, fluids and filters, brake pads and one set of rotors. I had a stuck left rear caliper that necessitated replacement of rear rotors and pads. I've changed CV assemblies once, timing belt kit once, spark plugs once, both oxygen sensors and one ABS sensor and fixed a small valve cover leak. So far, a great repair record over 16 years. It runs like a top and by frugal driving, I get between 28 and 31 MPG. Fit and finish remain excellent. I only had one rust spot - on the driver's side upper corner of the windshield. Body shop fixed that some years back. I wax it twice a year using Carnuba wax and keep the engine compartment and undercarriage clean. To sum it up, it's the nicest and most expensive car I ever bought, but the cheapest car I ever owned.
    Visitor, Matawan, NJ, September 09, 2011 10:44
    2000 Toyota Avalon XLS. 212,500 miles. Replaced transmission at 197,000 miles. Change oil every 6-7 thousand miles. Only changed brake rotors, brake pads. & tires at normal intervals. Changed timing belt & water pump 2x. Need to replace shocks. Still drves better than anything from GM,Ford & Chrysler. Hope to get at least 300,000 miles Also have a 2011 Honda Accord V6 EXL. Avalon is quieter.
    Visitor, Columbia, SC, June 05, 2011 12:26
    I have a 2005 Avalon Limited with 69000 miles. I recently had problems with the dual zone climate control. The drivers side was dramatically warmer than the passenger side with both set on LO. I started by checking the servo controlled actuators for both driver and passenger sides and found they were functioning properly. I read that low R134a refrigerant could possibly cause this. The mechanics at Firestone confirmed it and proceeded to evacuate and recharge the system. No leaks were found. This whole ordeal cost $169.
    Avalon Guy, North East, MD, February 24, 2011 07:28
    Have a 2000 Avalon with 260,000 plus miles. That equals 122 in Ford years My strategy: keep it away from a dealer, except for oil changes. Check engine light comes on once or twice a year, turn it off by disconnecting the positive cable on your battery. It will usually occurs due to a misfire during starting, My car still gets over 30 miles to a gallon on the road and I have never changed the plugs or wires timing belt or water pump. Car is a dream. Have been bitten by the dealer about oxygen sensor, it is a rip off in most cases. Strategy to long lie of vehicle, drive the speed limits, change the oil every 5 or 6,000 miles and trans fluid and power steering fluid @ 150,000. Have dealer do these as the Toyota additives seem to work long term. Preparing it for a cross country trip, get it washed and treat it to wax it is eleven now
    Visitor, Huntsville, TX, January 25, 2011 20:41
    This is my second Avalon. It is smooth and quite and it gets great gas mileage. I have had no problems with my Avalon. It has 65000 miles and I just put my second set of tire on it. I plan on putting another 100000 on it before I purchase another Avalon
    JConthego, Tampa, FL, December 17, 2010 07:10
    Hi Wolfman. I've had my Avalon for almost 11 years, original owner. DO NOT take your car to the dealer! I've been to four in Tampa Bay; all of them lie. One tried to sucker me into replacing all my belts, even though they had been replaced in the past year. Why? I asked because they didn't see a sticker, unique to Toyota dealers. No one even looked at the belts!! My car has 125,000 and runs great! Find yourself a good mechanic and you'll most likely find out your car is in good shape. Oh, one problem from day one; vibration. I have to have the tires balanced (on) the car or I have a vibration in steering and seat.
  • 2007 Toyota Avalon
    Visitor, Mason, OH, December 01, 2010 02:58
    This is my second Avalon, and I love the car. Small problems with the interior are (1) I have long legs, and the driver's side is tight, sometimes I have trouble getting legs out (even with the adjustable steering wheel, and power seats); (2) the plug-in location to recharge my cell phone is in an awkward location and sometimes does not connect.; (3) there is a noticible blind spot (for me) as I turn left, and look to my right. The combination of right-side mirror plus the roof support post that separates the front windshield and the right-side door creates an occasional blind spot. It has hidden an oncoming car that happens to be in just the right place, given where I am sitting and my view. I've learned to be very careful on left turns. My engine critique is recent. Immediately following my 60,000 mile checkup, I noticed -- a block away from the dealer and the checkup -- that on turning a corner, the accelerator "hesitated" before it caught. The power was not consistant. On a return check, the dealer could find no problems, but the power hesitation persists. It's something I have to solve, as my wife refuses to drive the car until she KNOWS it's fixed. Any ideas, Toyota?
    CARBUFF2, Pompano Beach, FL, October 25, 2010 07:02
    THIS 2000 TOYOTA AVALON IS THE BEST CAR EVER! It now has 165,000 miles on it and rides like a dream. The airconditioning is far superior to the MERCEDES airconditioning...which is the car I used to drive.
    Visitor, Woodbridge, VA, September 17, 2010 12:55
    I bought my Avalon new in 2000 and have had no problems. 125,000 miles and going strong. The roominess in the backseat is hard to beat.
    bamagram502, Valley Head, AL, August 30, 2010 16:03
    I bought my Avalon used. It had 76,000 miles on it. It now has 257,000 miles. I love this car. Have never done anything but replace struts. I have a Lexus also and would take my Avalon over it again and again. The inside and the body is still beautiful. Wish I could buy a new one just like it!!!!
    sapiing, Cleveland, OH, July 30, 2010 10:39
    I purchased this car in 2009 with 100k miles on it because after doing a ton of research I expected, with care, it would be good for another 100k miles. So far I'm not disappointed - the car has had a couple issues but no major repairs. Battery died, but it was the original factory battery so it had a good run. Rear rotors were extremely rusty and had to be replaced. Also shortly after I got it, it had a PCV valve issue (same as listed on RepairPal in the "frequent problems" area). That said, overall the car is great. I feel safe and like it can be relied upon. I drove it 1,000 miles cross-country and back, and no issues. Overall, I would highly recommend this car and am pleased with the quality in a used car. If you're looking for reliability, many of the components are identical to the Camry which also has a good track record and is a popular car making parts easy to find.
    Visitor, Fort Lauderdale, FL, July 21, 2010 14:57
    Original owner of '96 Avalon.. It now has 240,000 miles on it and it still runs smooth.. I have replaced the struts at 175k miles and the power steering rack at 200k (due to road debris damage).. This is undoubtably the best car I have owned. have to replace the front cv axle now.. (very tough mileage, it has been used as a work car for 10 years).. My wife has a 2007 Lexus es350.... my Avalon is quieter and runs smoother....
    Visitor, Fort Belvoir, VA, May 31, 2010 22:40
    i have a 2005 toyota avalon and i love it!! i have over 84000 mile on it now and i have not had to replace anything besides brakes, air filter and tires!!! which i just changed my air filter to a k&n and i got one mpg better and i i use full sen oil andi change
    Visitor, Columbia, SC, April 27, 2010 17:18
    245000 miles and still running good. Recently it started leaking oil from the valve cover gasket
    claire51, Las Vegas, NV, April 15, 2010 21:58
    excellent
    shirlo, Southbridge, MA, March 28, 2010 14:32
    I bought this car "new" at the end of 2001. I love my 2001 Avalon, however, with only 12,000 miles on the odometer, new brakes were needed. At 50,000 miles, it needed all new shocks. All highway miles, on my car and it is pampered. Love my Avalon, best car I have ever owned.
    Visitor, Charlotte, NC, March 27, 2010 12:36
    Overall, this is a nice car roomy, good gas mileage on highway, etc.
    Visitor, Carol Stream, IL, March 25, 2010 00:33
    It has become known to me that almost on every toyota the gas tank is broken, which tells me that the design of the gas tank should be highly reconsidered for redesigning. also i think that toyota are extremely high in cost to keep scheduled maintainence.
  • 1999 Toyota Avalon
    xcrunner645, Huntington, NY, November 30, 2009 09:29
    Recently purchased one of these with ~63k miles and it still runs very well. The interior is roomy and the engine has a nice feel and provides much better power than my Camry but still maintains decent fuel economy (about 23/24mpg).
    foot, Westerville, OH, November 07, 2009 15:03
    Bought this car new Dec. 1996. Original tires wore out in less than 20,000 miles. Replaced with Michelin and have been happy. Just replaced the first part (sway bar link), and the rear struts are starting to leak. The only other problem is the aluminum wheels, the air leaks from the rims. The battery is still good after almost 13 years.
  • 2009 Toyota Avalon
    WayIRoll, Gurnee, IL, October 03, 2009 06:18
    I love this car! I've had a recent year Lincoln Town Car and Lexus E series, and this car is superior to both in performance, fit and finish. Avalon performs, rides and looks "luxury." Its ride is smooth, quiet at any speed, and handling is deft. While Avalon is not a sports model by any mean, its acceleration and handling can make it entertaining. Avalon's exterior has a pleasing, distinguished, and conservative appearance, though we've lately noted increasing numbers of other brand copy-cat look alike's. The interior is very roomy and airy, well-fitted and appointed. Controls are easy to comprehend and manipulate, Both heating and air conditioning work well throughout the interior.. Acceleration is quick, and there is ample power (V-6) left to easily pass while cruising at high speed. After one full year, my suburban gas mileage is averaging 21 mpg and long distance highway 30 mpg. Expense has been nominal; no repairs or re-adjustments have been necessary, aside from regular oil changes and mileage-based maintenance visits. (I chose synthetic oil and change it about every 3,500 miles to help ensure higher miles / longer car life.) There was a recent recall of some 3.8 million Lexus and Toyotas, including this model year, for a design flaw of the driver's carpet mat for reported jamming over the accelerator pedal, though this driver has not experienced the problem. We initially checked for used cars and had a great deal of difficulty with locating them. There were few ads and we heard the same from local dealers we checked; drivers keep them. (We eventually bought new.)
    Lances, Linden, MI, September 13, 2009 08:03
    Bought our car new Oct ’03. My wife picked this car over any other car, mainly for its roomy back seat and comfortable ride. At the time I didn’t even know that Toyota made a model called the Avalon. I have come to like this car for its overall economy in MPG, maintenance and great ride. In 53,000 miles we have replaced 4 tires and the rear brakes. It’s not a head turner, nor a tire burner, but it has been (and I hope it continues to be) a very good value. I have had 20 plus cars so far, some new, some not so new and the only one I liked more was our Cadillac ETC, it was a head turner and tire burner. It was also tens of thousands of dollars more than the Avalon. In summary: the items I like are good quality/cost-to-own, comfortable ride, and classy looking interior. The items I don’t like are the plain looking exterior styling and lack of power. It seems that both of issues have improved in newer models.
    gwa1225, Williamsburg, VA, August 29, 2009 14:51
    I bought my '06 Limited new after coming to the startling realization (after test drives) that my 60-year-old self now values comfort, room and quiet over sport-sedan athletics. As long as one keeps in mind the obvious -- this is NOT a G35 or a 330 or even a TL -- it's a fine car and an outstanding long-legged cruiser with a strong engine and MPGs that border on the amazing. At 55k miles I have the following observations: strengths are its commodious, beautifully-appointed interior with a back seat worthy of a sheik and small harem; its velvet-smooth power train; its long legs (over 500 miles between interstate fillups) and excellent MPGs (up to 30 at interstate speeds, 22 - 25 around the 'burbs); and oustanding fit and finish. Lesser items: flaccid handling with numb, uninspired steering feel (and the Touring just added a hardher ride, in my view); a very user-hostile GPS, corrected in subsequent years, and truncated sat-radio/music readouts; and occasional abrupt downshifts at low speeds under load. I know at least a few of these cars have had quality niggles; mine has not and it was zero-defects from delivery until now, as one expects from Toyota. If you're looking for a comfortable, luxurious "poor man's Lexus," this is da bomb. If you want a sports sedan, go elsewhere.
  • 1998 Toyota Avalon
    carsforcars, Erie, PA, July 26, 2009 12:01
    This car now has 104k miles and it runs beautifully. All I had to do is replace the rotors, brakes, tires, which are all due to the high mileage. The mechanic tells me it will run for some time.
    frank beans, Ceresco, MI, April 25, 2009 14:19
    I have 2006, been at best fair..Just had to have timing belt gasket replaced $1200, had to drop the engine out to get at it. On my 3rd set of tires..and now the air conditioning is a problem ...not the end all be all ...next time maybe a Buick
    John1946, Wilmington, OH, April 15, 2009 16:09
    A Very Solid Car
    regjane, Wilmington, DE, April 11, 2009 20:27
    I have owned this car since August 2005 and love it. Major repairs were brakes.
    Spanky, Lake Mary, FL, April 06, 2009 19:38
    This has been an outstanding car. Just had a 98 point inspection, the kind used when toyota certifies a used car. Only items needed were an air filter and cabin filter. Everything else on this 3 year old car was in excellent condition. I also use Amsoil in the transmission and engine. I get better mileage, runs cooler and seems to shift smoother. I change oil and filter every 10,000 miles. This is my third Avalon and I have used Amsoil in all of them with over 140,000 on two of them with no problems except normal wear. i.e. brakes, oil change, tires, etc.
    4Wolfman, Mebane, NC, March 18, 2009 09:25
    2nd owner. 135k miles. Car is OK, but emission problems frustrate me. Dealer says we have to replace all 3 catalytic converters at $2600 because they can't troubleshoot and find the specific problem!! And Toyota tells them to do this, supposedly. Constant electrical problems. $500 to replace valve cover gaskets!!
    harley99, Kingwood, TX, February 28, 2009 11:27
    I have own this car since it was new. No one else has driven this car (295,000 miles) but me. The suspension for the 97 Toyota was beyond bad. Had to be replaced with stiffer struts. Starter went out at 200,000 miles but this was an easy fix. $150 for new starter. I will never own any car except an Avalon and never any bike except a Harley.
    lpuls, Eagle Mountain, UT, February 14, 2009 23:43
    Problems with Tranny making a vibration noise at 3-45 MPH, in 5th gear. I have 104,000 miles on this car. Great care except for tranny.
  • 1999 Toyota Avalon
    toyman, Springfield, MO, January 30, 2009 08:50
    This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. As is often said; it's the best Buick General Motors never built. My first Toyota was a 1973 Celica,which I kept til 1990,at which time I gave it to an employee that needed reliable transportation.
    noonanpa, Bronx, NY, December 18, 2008 12:59
    I love this car.... 1996 Avalan roomy- powerful - great engine
  • 2007 Toyota Avalon
    carman, Moses Lake, WA, November 21, 2008 14:41
    Near comparable to Lexus LS for signifcantly less $$. Regular fuel instead of premium, front wheel drive vs rear, rear power sun shade std on Limited vs optional for the LS, larger interior, better fuel mileage.