Reviews for Toyota 4Runner years:

Toyota 4Runner Reviews and Owner Comments

Toyota 4RunnerOwner Reviews (62 reviews)
    Visitor, San Bernardino, CA, May 03, 2014 23:39
    My 92 has never had a problem /She keeps going even when its something wrong. So this truck is like one of the kids apart of the family, strong till the end!!!!!!
    Visitor, Wichita, KS, March 13, 2014 18:37
    I have put 40,000 miles on my 2010 & have no complaints. Gas mileage is really better than I expected it to be. It is comfortable & handles well. I just pulled my 16' fiber glass bass boat with 50hp merc 3,000 miles and averaged 19.1 mpg from Kansas to Florida & back. If it were a heavier boat I would want a larger engine but would have to go to a Sequoia which I love to drive.
  • 2012 Toyota 4Runner
    Visitor, Atlanta, GA, March 13, 2014 13:44
    I've had my 2010 4runner since new and never had any issues except for a blown speaker at 5000 miles. To the author of the post with the 2012 4runner who was complaining about the recirculating air. Just hold down that button for about 5 seconds and it will stay on till you turn the car off or press it again. This will keep outside air from following into the car, regardless of hot or cold.
    Visitor, Tupelo, MS, December 02, 2013 13:20
    I own a 2011 4Runner, 4x2 with 92,0000 miles on it. I have enjoyed it until today when I carried it in with a roaring sound. They came out to tell me my rear wheel bearings are bad. Not a cheap fix. Bearings are right at $400.00 each and Labor was going to run me another $550.00 + the tax. So as of today not to happy with my 4 runner :(
    que1, Chesapeake, VA, November 21, 2013 04:43
    Gud Day All, I have a '97 that i purchased way back in '99, SR5 verison, and I love that truck. Currently i have 220,000 miles on her, and still running strong!!! I have a oil leak that is dropping i believe on the manifold which is causing smoke coming for the engine bay out of the passager side wheelwell. The compressor (heat) acts up once in a while, but it works..still good on gas, and i just love my runr...Thanks
  • 2013 Toyota 4Runner
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, November 18, 2013 14:33
    My 4runner get stuck between 35-45 mph, the automatic gear does not shift, and looks like my rpm spinning to 3, and the car speed is stuck to 45. not sure what is the problem does not happen all the time, but its been difficult to drive the vehicle, on highway, when you need speed the vehicle is stuck at certain speed....
    Visitor, Stella Niagara, NY, April 14, 2013 17:14
    i purchased my 4runner 2 years ago brand new and its probably the best car i've ever owned and i've owned many cars, looks great and makes me feel good driving it. never anything wrong with it. the only problem i have are the dealerships that sell and service these cars, just horrible service. dealer experience is why ill never buy another Toyota, not the car itself.
  • 2012 Toyota 4Runner
    Visitor, Fort Worth, TX, January 21, 2013 08:41
    This is specifically about the Heating/AC System. In cold weather, it will not stay in the recirculating mode. It cuts out after about three minutes. Thus, outside air is sucked in. This may not be a problem for many people, but for those of us adversely affected by exhaust fumes, it borders on life threatening, especially when caught in heavy stop and go drive time traffic. I have talked to two dealership service managers and both told me there is nothing they can do about it. I hope somebody who matters reads this post.
    Arissa P, Oakland, CA, January 16, 2013 13:36
    I LOVE my 4Runner! I bought a 94 about 5 years ago and have kept up on maintenance so it runs like a champ. The 3.slow engine can be frustrating when going up hills but it is great for 4wheeling and driving in the snow. I put KM2 tires on it and even with the slower engine my 4runner can hold its own in the mud and snow. They just dont make em like this anymore...
    Visitor, Phoenix, MD, October 01, 2012 12:43
    When shifting into overdrive there is a knocking or rattling sound which comes and goes when shifting into overdrive it is comming from the engine or transmission. Brakes seem to lock causing car to lunge foreward. Has anyone had these problems.
    Visitor, Kirkland, WA, August 02, 2012 10:20
    Brakes are aweful, and Toyota needs to fix this issue or I will never buy another Toyota. When you step on the brake pedal, nothing happens for the first few inches of brake pedal travel, so you tend to jab the brakes at that point as you are not stopping at all. Then the brakes activate all of a sudden and you are nose-diving. The modulation is terrible! You expect more for $40k, to say the least. Also, it is very easy to setoff the stability control going around corners, which is very disconcerting. The suspension is unsettled, which makes the vehicle feel tippy.
  • 2001 Toyota 4Runner
    Visitor, Ringgold, GA, April 19, 2012 10:50
    I have a 2001 Toyota 4-runner two wheel drive v6? I have aprox 250,000 miles and have had to do NOTHING but change the oil and brakes. What a GREAT vehicle. I have always driven Jeep or Lexus. I know they are related but I hope to never own another Lexus. This car if very plain and a little small ..no creature comforts but is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am the second owner and I bought it in aprox 2005.
    Visitor, Orlando, FL, January 01, 2012 17:41
    I had a 2003 4Runner and traded it for my 2005 4Runner in 2009 with 35,000 miles. It is the sport edition V8 4WD. I love everything about this vehicle. Although it rides a bit stiff, I can't complain. The Jensen sound system is amazing, although could have had a better stereo system. I can't get some local stations, however the ones that come through are clear. Not a crucial downfall for me. Just recently the check engine light,VSC Track and VSC off lights came on with the vehicle skidding icon. They stay on for a few days and go off, coming back on eventually. I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as the Air intake valve malfunction. They said it needed valve assembly x3, pump assembly, and gaskets x2 @ $2500. Labor $1100. They said it was common with the V8's. Has anyone had this same problem? Would love some suggestions. Other than that, I have had no other mechanical issues with this vehicle and recommend it to friends, minus the 4WD. I would most likely purchase another 4Runner minus the 4WD.
    big cooley, Canton, NC, November 24, 2011 16:38
    love the car no problems till now try to start just hear relay click nothing works on switch headlights and horn are good would be gratefull for any ideals
  • 2001 Toyota 4Runner
    Visitor, Saint Johns, FL, November 15, 2011 06:21
    I am another victim of poor 3.4 engine design. SLUDGE. Only 1220,000 miles. I have all reciepts from my oil changes and regular service from the Toytoa Dealership. My very last Toyota.
    zunoto, Brooklyn, NY, September 11, 2011 02:33
    Well, I finnaly traded my 2003 yesterday, it had 74500 miles and 8 years. I am going to miss it a lot. It was the Sport Edition in black. The dealership only gave me $9000 for it, and i took it with a smile! Bought 2011 SR5 since i am on a budget now. Halloween 2009 kids dropped eggs on my hood, and i had to bring my car for a paint job, went to Maaco BIG MISTAKE, horrible job and they devalued the price of my car. DO NOT GO TO MAACO! The major problem was the paint rims that peeled off after the warranty was out. You can buy replica on line for $161, factory ones are $350. Slight issue with the driver side door lock, when it was under warranty. The driver seat had a slight side to side motion that Toyota never really fixed to my satisfaction, i beleived the problem came about because of the valet parking, those guys just slam the seat when sliding it! If i was you i would get the hood protector, i am going to get it for my 2011, and maybe even the clear film for some of the paint and front lights. My 2003 had front and rear brush guards, still need to buy it for my 2011... Overall my 2003 was really a great truck, off road and all. I would tell anyone to buy a 4Runner. When the original tires need to be replace go for the Michelin! The front suspensions needed to be changed, it was getting rough down there.The reason for me to sell it, was i could not stand the fact of loosing of the car value.
    zunoto, Brooklyn, NY, September 11, 2011 02:29
    Just bought the 2011 SR5. Drove it back home 65 miles from the dealership. I miss my bucket seat from my 2003 Sport Edition. The engine is smoother since it is a five speed and not a four speed like my 2003.It looks bigger in and out. Too new to rate...But for now i give it 5 stars.
    Visitor, Salem, OR, August 26, 2011 11:00
    i have a 94 ben a pain. new hg timing belt water pump exhaust shocks blow out in wear and know my rear end is going out. one thing after another. hoping this will end soon. doing the rear end tomorrow
    Visitor, Edison, NJ, June 13, 2011 15:34
    we like our 2003 4runner but it is not that roomy for a family of 4 the ride is rough like a truck and it is not really a good winter truck
    Visitor, Bedford, IN, April 12, 2011 11:01
    280,000 miles, never a major repair and still going. great SUV
    Visitor, Addison, TX, March 05, 2011 08:50
    I have bought 5 of them. Sold 1, wife wrecked 1 and at last count I still have 3. All Ltd.s. I oviously like them and will buy another asap just to keep as a spare. Enough said.
  • 2008 Toyota 4Runner
    Visitor, Ellicott City, MD, March 02, 2011 17:58
    the V8 4.7 is a turd because of the piston engine knock at cold start. Toyota apparently does not have a fix for it.
    Visitor, Chowchilla, CA, March 01, 2011 21:52
    1990 4runner ..this was my 1st truck when i bought it..it had 165,000 mi on it..it was 6 yr old i put 565,000 mi on it with no prob ..went throw 8 sets of tires and a lot of brakes shoes it has the org stater !!! itnever let me down on the road or just tacking my kids to school its ben a great truck
    Visitor, Oceanside, CA, February 18, 2011 02:55
    I have had a Cellica and Camry previously and I bought the Sport Version of the 2005 4 Runner, without 4 whl drive. The only regret I have is that it is too stiff of a ride for me...I like a little bit more of luxury and comfort when I drive. My husband wanted the Sport Version to take his surfboard to the beach...I like how it looks, but wish I had gotten something better on gas and cushier....We also bought a 2001 MR2 and a 2004 Tacoma SR5....We like Toyotas for their reliability, but I wish all of our cars were a little more comfy to ride in.....
    Visitor, Troutman, NC, January 07, 2011 19:18
    I love this SUV. Have done everything the manual says since purchase and it just keeps on going without any problems.The finish is still great (altho it has been garaged and I get it detailed once a year.)Most cannot believe it is 9 years old.I think it looks better than the new ones. I will drive it as long as I can!
    HiluxSurf, Chesapeake, VA, January 07, 2011 17:33
    My Hilux Surf is a incredible! The only problems this vehicle has ever has was a bad head gasket (recalled item & was replaced) and my transmission needed servicing after 208,000km of HEAVY use (rock crawling, mudding, towing and years of skiing trips). The body is sound (NO rust holes), drivetrain like a tank, and the only electrical issues I have is the wiring to my rear window de-fogger needs to be repaired (haven't been bored enough to rip apart my tailgate to reattach it yet).
    Visitor, Arvada, CO, January 03, 2011 14:00
    '06 4Runner Sport V6 Bought this used about 6 months ago with 38,000 miles and am extremely happy with my purchase.... GREAT TRUCK! This is my 4th toy, have owned a 99 Taco, 05 Tundra and an 07 Tundra. The runner drives the best of any 4wd I have ever driven. Very tight turning radius, no rattles or creaks in the interior, suspension is firm but not punishing, love the X-Reas system in the corners, very little road or wind noise!! Driver seat is very comfortable but I wish they hadn't cheaped out on the passenger seat... shouldnt everyone have lumbar?? V6 is very responsive and delivers a consistant 21/23 mpg! My only complaints are with the fender skirt rivets break occasionaly and the paint is very soft. Really have to be careful not too scratch or chip it as it is very delicate. Otherwise an outstanding SUV. So glad I didnt buy the new 2010 runner instead, Toyota has definitely lost some quality control in their new models.
    Visitor, Queen Creek, AZ, December 23, 2010 22:22
    Great Car runs like a beast never broke down yet 230,000 miles and counting only thing ive had to replace was the distributer cap and some spark plugs other then that runs just as good as it did 20+ years ago.
  • 1995 Toyota 4Runner
    micahskinner, Pensacola, FL, December 12, 2010 19:44
    I've got a 1995 V6 4Runner SR5 2wd with 254,000 miles and still running like a champ! It's been in a couple minor parking lot run-in's, but it still looks, runs, and drives better than my 2000 Durango! Just put a whole new set of engine gaskets on it and had my mechanic tell me it's nicer than some of the 2001+ models he's worked on with less than 100K. The ONLY thing I can criticize about it is that I had to replace the rear suspension (just like EVERY 4Runner of this era) due to sagging, even though I've never pulled anything heavier than a jet-ski. Aside from that, it's mint!
    Visitor, Melbourne Beach, FL, December 12, 2010 19:44
    I couldn't be happier with my 1997 4Runner in every way ~ 146000 Toyota miles and going strong! Well kept/maintained, and it looks brand new. Back off Obama ~ stop trying to ruin this great Japanese car company who continues to run rings around every other car manufacturer, year after year. Consumers know their cars and we keep them for many years of safe and happy driving. Hopefully you won't be effective in chasing Toyota out of the USA to deceitfully bring GMC or whoever you what to thrive to the forefront, while you try to destroy Toyota.
  • 2000 Toyota 4Runner
    sharonsue, Kendalia, TX, November 27, 2010 19:08
    I purchased this 2000 4 runner used in 2003. It only had 50,000 miles on it. I have been completely satisfied with its performance and appearance. The only thing that could be considered not so good is the expense for repairs or maintenance, since after market parts are not recommended. But I have had not major problems with it. And it still looks really good
    shaolin, South San Francisco, CA, November 27, 2010 19:07
    Overall this truck just keeps going and and going without much of an issue. As with any SUV, the handling could be better, but it's not built for taking the corners anyway!
    Phana, Riverdale, GA, November 27, 2010 19:07
    I don't know how to rate my car
    4runnerbaby, Semmes, AL, November 27, 2010 19:06
    I love my 4-runner.That is the best car i have ever owed.I will never get ride of it.
    webwevers, White Water, CA, November 27, 2010 19:06
    Love my 4Runner, I had a 1990 with 340,000 miles on it and it finally died. Bought a 1994 because I needed the tailgate and they changed it in 1996 to a lift back. Great car.
    Visitor, Anderson, SC, November 27, 2010 19:06
    This is a very good truck my truck has got me trough anythang ive went through with no problem
    Visitor, Chesterfield, MO, November 27, 2010 19:05
    Have 2010 SR5 4Runner 4wd only 3 months old and have rust on frame and on axles and parts of axle, also when driving if you press on brake peddle too hard the brakes lock up without antilocks braking system kicking in. When coming to a stop after coming off the highway and if you step on the gas before a complete stop the engine races but the transmission does not engage
    chefwithwrenches, Raleigh, NC, November 27, 2010 19:05
    I bought this car used in 1999 and have put over 175k on it. Thankfully Toyota put in a new engine on a recall at 153k so now it has 240k on the body but less than 100 onn the engine. It has been used and abused, son took it to college and drove it on the beach for three years, but still is reliable transport. Paint is original and not bad.
    Visitor, Moscow, PA, November 27, 2010 19:03
    had my 1994 for 2 years then died with 215,000 it overheated but was a good car in the snow
    Visitor, Campbellsville, KY, November 27, 2010 19:02
    love my toy,,,
    dgarci24, Rogers, AR, November 27, 2010 19:02
    GREAT CAR 1998.
    Visitor, West Danville, VT, November 27, 2010 19:02
    I bought my 3rd used 4runner in 2002 (a 1998) with 40,000 + - miles. It now has 178,000. However, the body has a LOT of rust. I hope they now make them more Vermont friendly or any place where road salt is a necessity in winter. The only other fault I've had is with the brakes. Overall, I have loved it and it has basically been trouble free. I would buy another if they were more affordable.
    Nate Diggidy, Oakland, CA, October 20, 2010 19:48
    Excellent car. Purchased with 11k on it in 2006 and it's been a top performer in all conditions, including deep snow. No major repairs, but do plan to replace the shocks at about 80k. I test drove everything at the time and I've never had a moment of regret about this purchase.
    Visitor, Von Ormy, TX, September 15, 2010 09:11
    i love my 1992 4-runner that baby it almost twenty years old and never had an transmission problem but lately a few wear and tear items been messing up but still runs like a champ and no one can complain about the 4x4 defiantely a good first car
    ZeeTech, Charlotte, NC, September 14, 2010 20:26
    I bought tis car new and ever since she served the family well. I had to wait for it an extra 3 weeks, because I wanted one without the sunroof and leather/electrical seat. I'm a tech, so I take care of all the maintenance or repair and the car gets all the best - OE or better parts. Beside the reg. services I replaced the following: -all tires @ 40K -front brakes @ 50K -A/C evaporator @ 55K (that's the reason for 3 stars on the A/C system) The only thing I miss is an MP3 capable CD player and a switch for the traction control. There are some off-road situations when it would be better off. Overall - it's a great car, I'd buy one again.
    LuckyGuy69, Bedford, OH, September 14, 2010 08:37
    I purchased my 2006 4Runner in January, 2006...other than changing the tires and regular maintenance I have had absolutely no problems with my vehicle. Of all of the cars I have purchased in my lifetime, this one far surpassed my expectations.
    Visitor, Gainesville, GA, August 31, 2010 17:39
    I have 2005 4runner it only has 72000 miles on it and a piston went out took it to toyota and they only fixed the one piston don;t know how they did that but this truck was running fine. Got back in to go to the store and had a bad rod knock so just not so sure of the vehical now. Has anyone else had this proplem? V6 Lucky I bought the extended warranty.
    Visitor, Issaquah, WA, July 14, 2010 08:24
    Love my 2004 4Runner! Bought it new on December 2003. It is currently 118K and so far, it's been great! I changed out factory tires at 60K for the Michelin tires at Costco. It is still under original gray paint. Still shiny after each wash. I've drove my truck down to CA from WA at least once a year. It has been through rain, sleet, and snow. LOVE IT!
    Visitor, Burbank, CA, July 09, 2010 23:35
    Help! I burned a hole in my car and i want to change the cloth on my seat. I need to know where i can buy the same cloth and have someone sew it on
    Visitor, Beverly, MA, June 02, 2010 19:20
    Had a grand cherokee before that went to 167,000 miles. 3 sets of brakes, 2 sets of tires and 2 water pumps. This 4-runner is much better. I have 127,000 miles on this baby and I love it! Would buy another one in a minute. After 80k miles I put new tires on it, Nokians which is a better tire in the snow than Michelin. Bridgestone's were on the car and were terrible. One set of brakes put on front at 60k, back at 120k. Very happy with the truck!
    Visitor, Placerville, CA, June 02, 2010 15:00
    very dependable, bought used w/ 200,000 + miles and drives great any and all problems it has our compliments of the previous owners handi-work
  • 1990 Toyota 4Runner
    Visitor, Sedona, AZ, April 18, 2010 17:38
    Best vehicle ever built. Solid and dependable in any weather. Cheap to keep and easy to repair if needed.
  • 2008 Toyota 4Runner
    Visitor, Dothan, AL, March 31, 2010 16:07
    I Love my 4Runner! Actually getting 26mpg on the highway on a V-6!
    yoginash, Nashville, TN, March 03, 2010 07:19
    The best car I've ever had. I use it for a couple of long trips a year, pulling the fishing boat in and out of all sorts of conditions, and a 40 mile commute every day. 108k on it with no repairs. I keep the tires rotated and aligned and have gotten 55-60k each set. Still drives like new and gets 21mpg overall. I'll drive this one 'till the wheels fall off and gladly buy another..
    noLimits, Glen Allen, VA, December 29, 2009 09:15
    Great truck. it has over 90k miles on it and still drives like new. It has seen everything from beach driving to blizzard conditions and has never failed on me. Still feels solid and seems like it will last forever. I've driven other model SUVs with the same mileage and they feel like they're going to fall apart any minute.
  • 1995 Toyota 4Runner
    liljen, Parachute, CO, November 19, 2009 22:11
    I LOVE my 4Runner! I gave a 3* in electrical, because my rear air, back up lights, and front running lights do not work, and I can't figure out why...4* in engine because I think a vehicle of this size should get a little better MPG's (otherwise it is great). It handles AWESOME in 4X4 driving. mine has a 2" lift & 30" tires, but my friends call it the "mountain Goat". My family of 5 fits pretty comfortable, its fun to drive and the 4Runner bodies (all years) are attractive! PS mine has 197,000 miles and very minimal repairs!
    resqhobbit, Reston, VA, August 11, 2009 07:25
    Good performer on and off road and in poor driving conditions, reliable fuel consumption, great versatility for hauling people/stuff/towing, wish it had a manual transmission but they are not available with this option as far as I know.
    oranger, Seattle, WA, February 17, 2009 14:43
    Had a few issues with rear springs, like many in this year range. Also have always been leery of the reported HG problems, although I've seen nothing on mine yet. Overall, great feeling truck.
    gypzman, Pinole, CA, February 07, 2009 13:44
    Overall it's a good running car I've taken a lot of trips in it. The only problem that I have is my dash lights are out and I can't figure out how to get the dash out so I can fix them.
    jhump12, Broomfield, CO, January 29, 2009 14:01
    Love this truck. great engineering, good looking, good power in the V8. I haven't had any problems with it.
    hemicuda, Pacifica, CA, December 26, 2008 12:06
    Hunted out of this Four Runner for years just have to make sure to rotate the tires, They seem to cup with the four wheel drive, Had to change one injector from running cheap gas besides that really reliable.
    TigressBCC, Redwood City, CA, November 05, 2008 15:55
    I had my Toyota 4Runner for many years and it was a great car that generally needed little time at the repair shop. The one exception was the head gasket issue with the V6 motor. The V6 version has too small a border between the piston and water jacket in one spot, and after a while it blows out the head gasket. I blew two head gaskets, and each one cost $2500-$4000 to fix. Definitely don't go to just any shop to get this work done, as it's a complex job and if they don't do it right, they can screw up lots of other stuff on the car. If you really want a 4Runner that will last a long time, get the 4 cylinder version. It doesn't have the head gasket problem like the V6. Beyond that, the car is a trooper, rinning over 300,000 miles with no issues. The 2005 4Runner was back when in still had sightly stiff truck-like suspension - hard for long drives - but newer versions ride more like a car. All-in-all, great car.