Toyota 4Runner Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Toyota 4Runner
- 1999 4runner 3.4v6 that idles fast and doesn't drop down very quick
- car starts or not starts may set then start it does not turn over
- My 4 runner doesn't have power in reverse. It feels like the trans is slipping.
- Why does my 4 runner drive in lower transfer case position but not in 2 hi or 4
- What would cause the brakes to become hard to push.
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
Toyota 4Runner Problems
At higher mileages, (125,000-150,000) the automatic transmission may not shift correctly. This can be caused by the throttle position sensor being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be replaced. Typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled.
The evaporative emission (EVAP) system may illuminate the vehicle's Check Engine Light due to intermittent failure of the charcoal canister purge control solenoid valve or canister failure. Upon failure of the charcoal canister, debris may circulate around the EVAP system causing other emission control problems.
If the car will not start, the most likely problem is worn or corroded solenoid contacts in the starter. Usually, these parts can be replaced without purchasing a new starter.
Toyota 4Runner Questions
this happens at every start
starter tested 3times ok neut. swct. new- post. cable new batt. ok - car may start 20 times then not start sets then may start. had starter tested because tapped on and started new starter 3wks old may be bad ground or ingt.switch bad help thanks
The brakes act as though the engine isn't on and you have to almost stand on them to stop, even at slow speeds
Toyota 4Runner Recalls
Vehicles have a tire size/weight rating label to inform owners of the carrying capacity of their vehicle. These models are being recalled because the incorrect vehicle weight rating is shown on the information label. This could result in vehicle and tire overloading, increasing the risk of tire failure. Owners will be provided an updated vehicle weight label to correct this concern.
The accelerator pedal can become trapped under an unsecured or incompatible floor mat. This can cause the accelerator pedal to stick in the wide open position, increasing the risk of a crash. At this time, the remedy plan is still under development, but will most likely involve modification or replacement of the accelerator pedal and Toyota all-weather floor mats. No schedule of owner notification is available at this time. The Toyota recall number is 90L; the Lexus number is 90LG.
These vehicle were sold without the required load carrying captivity modification label. Dealers will mail the corrected label to vehicle owners. Owners have the option of requesting that the dealer install the label. This recall is expected to begin on May 27, 2010.
Toyota 4Runner Reviews
280,000 miles, never a major repair and still going. great SUV
1990 4runner ..this was my 1st truck when i bought it..it had 165,000 mi on it..it was 6 yr old i put 565,000 mi on it with no prob ..went throw 8 sets of tires and a lot of brakes shoes it has the org stater !!! itnever let me down on the road or just tacking my kids to school its ben a great truck
I've got a 1995 V6 4Runner SR5 2wd with 254,000 miles and still running like a champ! It's been in a couple minor parking lot run-in's, but it still looks, runs, and drives better than my 2000 Durango! Just put a whole new set of engine gaskets on it and had my mechanic tell me it's nicer than some of the 2001+ models he's worked on with less than 100K. The ONLY thing I can criticize about i...