Toyota Q&A

2006 Toyota Matrix Question: Toyota Matrix 2006 FWD Brake Problem

canabear, 1.8L 4 Cylinder, Zamora, CA, December 07, 2009, 20:07

I bought a brand new Toyota Matrix 2006 FWD from the dealer for my brother. He has been behind the wheel for more than 10 years, good records as I did. He told me he could feel that the brake doesn't response quick enough, but I though he possibly just needed some time to get used to it. Last Winter he made a left turn on a snowy day, about -20 degrees, he found the brake responsed wierdly and he lost the control, and the car hat the curb and bent the front wheel. I thought he possibly just careless driving, and we switched our car. This winter I encounted almost the same problem as he did. I drove on a snow day for about 60KMH with about -20 degrees, found a car stalled at least 20 meters in front of me, start to brake but my car shaked uncontrollably once brakes are applied, and it turned almost 90 degreees and slipped on the car in front. Well my car didn't have an ABS and snow tires, however, I had driven cars without them for more than 10 winters and never ha such a bad situation. Could anybody explain to me what might be wrong with the brake system?
Thank you in advance!
Johnson in Canada

1 Answer

Bret Bodas from RepairPal Test Shop, January 10, 2010, 21:47

Hello, sorry to see you didn't get any advice here, were you able to figure out the issue with the brakes?