Timing Belt Tensioner
The timing belt tensioner maintains appropriate tension in the timing belt. The tensioner can use spring tension or hydraulic pressure to properly tension the belt.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Grinding or roaring type noise from inside the timing cover
- Belt may "jump time" (skipping a tooth or more, usually on the cam gear). This results in a loss of synchronization and engine performance.
- Trouble codes from the camshaft or crankshaft sensors, causing Check Engine Light to illuminate
- Slapping or scraping noises from engine
Related Repair Advice
- It is often recommended that you replace the tensioner along with items like the water pump, front engine seals, drive belts, and idler any time the timing belt is replaced