Auto Systems and Repair: Timing Belt Idler
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Grinding or roaring type noise from inside the timing cover
- Belt may "jump time" (skipping a tooth or more, usually on the cam gear). This results in a loss of synchronization and engine performance.
- Trouble codes from the camshaft or crankshaft sensors, causing Check Engine Light to illuminate
- Slapping or scraping noises from engine
Related Repair Advice
- It is often recommended that you replace the idler(s) along with items like the water pump, front engine seals, drive belts, and tensioner any time the timing belt is replaced