are the timing chain and timing belt the same thing?
timing belt on 2003 Ford Focus
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by munkyrench ,
April 05, 2009
A timing belt is made of rubber (similar to a vacuum cleaner belt, only bigger) and needs to be replaced as part of the maintenance of the vehicle. A timing chain is a metal chain (like a motorcycle/bicycle chain) and only needs replacement if the chain or other parts wear out.
This week's top 10
Recent Ford Focus Questions
- When I let off the acceleration...then accelerate...trans.feel like it slips??
- Alarm going off randomly but seems to go off days after I have opened the hood.
- A yellow light comes on and looks like the shape of a motor. What does this mean
- How long can I let my squeaking alternator squeak?
- Are the rear wheel bearings pressed in the hub?
2003 Ford Focus Estimates
- 70,000 Mile Service ($53 - 94) in New Stuyahok, AK
- Ignition Coil Replacement ($158 - 189) in Pulaski, VA
- Wheel Bearing Replacement - Front ($325 - 455) in Gordonville, MO
- Radiator Fan Assembly Replacement ($286 - 537) in Elmsford, NY
- CV Joint Boot Replacement ($389 - 646) in Rockland, ME
- Drive Belt Idler Pulley Replacement ($97 - 113) in Buckingham, VA