Chevrolet Q&A

1997 Chevrolet Malibu Question: The engine starts with no problem, but after 15 or 20 minutes the engine stalls.

Trenrev1, 3.1L V6, Saint Louis, MO, December 12, 2013, 13:23

The engine cranks after stalling, but does not turn over. After 15 or 20 minutes the engine starts, but then repeats the same process. The theft light has not come on the last 2 months. Is this a passlock issue, a relearn issue, a fuel pump issue, a fuel filter issue or an ignition lock issue? Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, how did you resolve it?

pushrod December 12, 2013, 13:27

Have a mechanic scan test it for codes. To many possibilities to guess at it! May need to leave it with the mech for a day so it can be tested while it will not start! It's possible the crank sensor is failing but that is a guess!

ebans777 December 12, 2013, 23:21

agree with #1 poss fuel pump issue

cardocIII from Gillespie's Auto Service, December 13, 2013, 01:55

We solve problems like this all the time. The first step is to get ready to test for what is missing (spark, fuel, or both) when the problem occurs. Typically I'll attach a fuel pressure gage and scan tool and have my scope, voltmeters etc at the ready while I get a good baseline on the car. Then I let it sit and run while attending to other work in the shop. The moment it cuts out, I drop what else I was doing and start testing for what failed. Some cars must be driven in order to get them to act up, we call those suicide missions because everything has to be set up and then done on the road wherever we happen to be when it stalls out.

Greg's Orange Auto (13601 Answers) , Orange, CA - (714) 361-9386
    globalhelper December 13, 2013, 06:38

you have named a few of the things it could be,but seek a diag