Chevrolet Q&A

1997 Chevrolet 1500 Pickup Question: Temp problems....HELP!

97chevy, 5.7L V8, Woburn, MA, January 29, 2014, 15:57

Hi I am having temp, issues. I have changed the thermostat, water pump, heater core, radiator, coolant temp sensor, and intake manifold gasket. Also I have had the system vacuum bled at jiffy lube to remove the air. Now, I have heat and the temp holds fine around where it should while its idling in the morning. If I stick to back roads and keep it under 50 it works ok. The heat cools off and the temp either drops back to 100 or begins to go above normal. If I go on the highway the temp gauge will show I'd overheat and the heat inside goes ice cold. I feel I've run out of parts to throw at this and I'm out of ideas on how to fix this. I also have no leaks...Help!

1 Answer

G. T. Service Center (3099 Answers) , Stephenville, TX - (254) 638-3236
    ProfessorG January 29, 2014, 16:28

Low on coolant or thermostat, did you get a more expensive thermostat or a cheaper one. The better one will hold the temperature better.

97chevy, January 29, 2014, 16:51

Coolant level is good and thus far holding I'm not losing any. I did get the cheaper t stat tho. I'll try the better one but I would think that even the cheaper one wouldn't cause me to over heat. It does initially open up after I hit about 210 degrees. My temp seems to fluctuate with my throttle activity. If I stop at a red light my heat begins to get warmer. I'll try to swap out the t stat, could I have a possible vacuum issue also?

ProfessorG, January 29, 2014, 17:47

Just commenting; Not all thermostats are created equal. I see so many different things daily and there is no reason for the problems until you find some stupid thing that shouldn't have happened. When you slow or stop the circulation slows as well, slower circulation can build heat, the faster you go, the water is exchanged through the radiator bringing cooler water into the system. Now if the thermostat does it's job, it will close some allowing the water to heat to the rating on the thermostat. If it doesn't close some to allow the water to heat properly, well guess what, the water stays cooler. It is supposed to constantly open and close to maintain the coolant temperature. As far as the vacuum, what vacuum?

asksteevies, January 29, 2014, 18:20

What so u have for a cooling fan, electric??
    Something's not rite , I'm thinking u gotta single core radiator
    When it needs a dual core??