how do you fix the tailgate latch if the tailgate is closed?
Chevrolet Q&AAsk Your Question
2003 Chevrolet Silverado SS Question: tailgate latch
Answer #1patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, August 26, 2010, 19:05Master
Autozone have some popular workshop manuals for free on line once you register (for free) on their website http://bit.ly/autozone_repair_info or there is a company that independent auto repair shops "buy" their information from that offer a very reasonable service to do it yourselvers. You can get a one week subscription or year subscription very cheap. The information is year make and model specific repair procedures, service bulletins, component locations, wiring diagrams ect.... great quality information same as the professionals have ,much better than generic workshop manuals from parts stores, much cheaper than the factory manual try http://bit.ly/mitchell_repair_manuals_online
and get an online repair manual subscription.
ReplyVisitor, May 05, 2011, 02:02
Its a very touchy process at first, but once you have the cover off it goes by pretty smooth and fast.
1) You need a skrew driver, gently pry the tailgate cover loose[DO NOT PULL IT OFF YET]. If you pull the cover off you most likely will break the clips that secure the cover to your tailgate.
2) Once you have loosen the cover, with both hands gently push the cover up and back to release the clips and free the cover[might take a few gentle tries]. You should now be able to access the pulley. It's usually the left side plastic coupler that breaks.
3) Pull the pulley and your tailgate slowly, this will release your tailgate.
4) With tailgate down partially unscrew/untighten bolts[I believe it's 3 bolts, if I remember
correctly]. This tailgate handle will be loose, you will be able to better access the pulley and the broken plastic coupler. (Coupler cost $5-9.00, kind of expensive for such a little piece of plastic, but if your inventive you could Jerry-Rig something. I don't recommend duct tape).
5) Replace broken plastic coupler and reattach pulley.[MAKE SURE REATTACHMENT IS
6) Reset handle and retighten bolts. Lift tailgate and check to see if tailgate releases correctly. Once you have verified this, secure tailgate in the upright position.
7) [GENTLY] Reattach cover by sliding up then pressing down firmly but gently until you hear it snap into position.
8) CONGRATS!!! You have successfully repaired your tailgate. On to the next!
9) If still having problems please refer to YouTube for visual reference.
ReplyVisitor, May 05, 2011, 09:12
Your advice worked great, I thought I almost broke my clips but I took it easy and it ce out fine thanks for the step by step list. It really helped.