Subaru Reviews and Owner Comments

Subaru owners review and rate their Subaru.

Subaru (129 Reviews)
Overall
I have a 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 with 32,000 miles that I bought used in 2012. Four years later I now have less than 52,000 miles on it. After going to the shop 4 times for chugging on acceleration and the CEL on, I am told I need a new transmission. The dealership at first quoted $10,000 for a new transmission and labor, but I think they are now down to $7,300. Subaru will give me $1,000 for good will, but that seems a lot to me for a car that I paid $23,000 for and only drove for 20k miles. I am a woman who knows nothing about cars. Is a dealership the best option? (My last car was a Rav4 I bought 5 years old with 50k miles on it that I paid $8,000 for. I drove it 8 years then sold it for $6,000. That was a good car!) Help!
awesome car rides smooth and very quit
Extremely practical, very roomy. Good at everything, bad at nothing. A/C could blow colder, and ride is a bit harsh, but I love this vehicle. The AWD is excellent. Superb gas milage. 30000 miles with NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. Added roof rack for hauling long items. Added hitch for small trailer and bike rack. All day comfort, good handling, and descent acceleration even without the turbo. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone!!!
2007 Subaru never gave me problems until the check engine light came on and cruise control light was flashing. I have 120,000 miles and now was told to replace timing belt, head gasket and fuel tank and straps which cost me over $4,000. I don't understand why everything is failing and I don't think I am done yet. Always brought into dealership for maintenance and none of this was identified prior to this mileage.
I have 64K miles on vehicle. Only 2 complaints. 1) Low beam Headlamps last about 30k miles guaranteed!! My biggest concern is both will go out at the same time. Have also replaced several bulbs in rear. 2) Inside Rear view mirror to big and difficult to see around for us taller folks. Other than a recall on puddle lights, I've got no other qualms..
This is our 2nd Subaru that we bought new, (1995+2005). I think an above average car. Still, I think all of us would like to think that our cars would be exceptional (In the car reviews we only see a few that stand out with low maintenance.) Leather seats... Low quality leather seats, and driver seat didn't wear well. Not the best support either.
This is my wife's car, (I wouldn't buy a Subaru). Still, it is exceptional in the snow, as we run with 4 snow tires in the winter. Regular fuel...20 around town, and 28 on the turnpike. When the car was new the automatic transmission would shift a bit rough, the dealer put an "additive" in it and so far at 107,000 it still works ok.
The engine runs strong, but with limited power. Fuel system is good, but the car has a gas oder where you add fuel, this started around 70K, (the 95 Subaru had the same problem). At around 80K we had to replace the whole exhaust system, (except for the catalytic converter). Replaced the rear struts around 70K, not the best handling car, lots of body roll going into turns. The car has been well maintained.
Struts are rubbing making noise when going over small dips or heaves in the road. Dealer says they all make noise in the cold. Bs. My 2002 subaru doesn't make any noise.
I bought my forester at 108,000 miles and 6 yrs old, it now has over 210,000 miles, it has taken my family across country twice. Replaced the radiator, all my fault for not keeping it filled or noticing the leak. New cv boots, one battery, i have to get it smogged again now that I'm in California again, makes a rattle when accelerating, the catalytic converter is the issue. Maybe it will pass? I know it will. I love my Subaru, i will never buy anything else. I want to see 400,000 on the odometer with my son behind the wheel. It's our little Spaceship that knows no bound. Pass smog baby, by some miracle so we can rage the west coast together a while longer.
I have heard of maintenance problems with the 2012 Outback, by a competing dealer. ??
We have had all Subaru outback S.W. since way back and love them.Two of them a 1998 and a 2000 both have 300,000 plus miles on and not really any problems.Still driving them today.Right now though the 2000 check engine light is on,replaced a few sensors,but code still says po303 and po304 new plugs wires,still keeping it hopefully will find out whats wrong.
Stiff Ride, watch out for pot holes it's very stiff suspension. Great on flat road and handles well on smooth roads.

Slightly under-powered, though the only option is to get thier Turbo which comes with it's own problems.

Paint is very, very thinly applied and chips and peals very easily. POOR PAINT JOB.

Have done all the services on it at specified times and even the 3-4,000 mile oil changes. The car only has 54,000 miles and Subaru just told us at an oil change appointment that it needs an engine head gasket, steering rack replacement(no problem with steering but leaks) so recommends replacement not repair, and thermostat replacement. That's A LOT for a well cared for SUV.

ALSO, since the car is always in 4-wheel drive...if you need to replace one tire you need to replace all four to keep even rotational travel on all axles.

It, at this point, will cost more than the car is worth! Subaru may be a safe car but it is cheaply made. Seats rip, plastic controls...black paint wares off, etc. Handles well but not worth it!

Other cars handle well too but don't have as many problems so soon at low mileage! Stay away from SUBARUS!
My main problem with this model is an oil leak. It was minor at first, but now leaks a lot. I've been told it is from the front head gasket. I keep check on oil level but it does not take additional oil. What is this? Mileage is low. I am wondering if there will be a sudden collapse of the engine! Otherwise, I have enjoyed the ride.
I have a problema with hight level heating the motor, but I have colante a normal level,what's happing?
Bought Premium Outback to replace 2006 VW Jetta TDI w/183K, primarily because I wanted a more reliable car for my wife to drive. CV auto takes some getting used to, but seems to be as advertised. Interior, electronics, ride, features, etc. all excellent.

With approx. 10K miles on vehicle, wife begins 220 mi. highway trip. 30 miles into trip, at 70 mph highway speed, vehicle starts billowing smoke screen trailing the car...looked like a NASCAR race, engine blown. Pulling off the highway and into a gas station, she shuts the car down; check engine light and low oil light are on.

When I arrive, I check vehicle, no oil discernible on dipstick check; oil and/or other fluids flowing freely away from parked vehicle. Use Subaru service, have wrecker transport to dealer.

In diagnosing the problem, the dealer, under the direction of the factory, pulls engine from car. Problem found: bad rear main seal. Under air pressure, the leak was felt by finger touch; approximately 1/2" in length between seal and outer seal block.

A warranty repair all the way; nobody has any idea how it could have happened except through a bad part and/or faulty installation, all at factory. Subaru is replacing the seal at their cost, placing motor back in vehicle; vehicle still under original 5yr/60K warranty period.

We have a dealer loaner at no cost to us but are without our vehicle for an entire week with limited mileage restrictions on the loaner vehicle. I'm wondering if any permanent damage to the engine was sustained while experiencing this mail seal failure at highway operating speeds.

Any suggestions on how to have them test for engine damage?
I loved my 2010 Outback and bought the 2014 for better mileage and some updates. The mileage is so much worse that I took it in to the dealer They were not the least concerned that it is getting more that 5 miles less per gallon than my 2010.
great car. only bad thing I can think of is that it is too low. scrapes a lot and the front lip is all ready cracked. I got this car for a fun all year round car and it might be to low for snow.
I have hade my 2003 Subaru legacy for 2 years runs great drives great the best car I have owned for winter driving heats great cools great I just cant say more than just a great car seems if you take care of them they run great don't take in red and wow you don't have head problems drive with common sense and it will treat you good never ben on the side of the road more than I can say for vw much nicer car love it will by another next time a wrx sedan cant what
Bought this car in 2012 with 166,000 miles on it, it is now 1year later and i have spent no less than $12,000.00 just to keep it running. I still have yet to have ac as it was also broken when I wasted my money on this money pit. as I ran out of money. Both head gaskets were blown when i bought it and did not know as the mechanic in blue jay calif doctered the car to get far enough away from his 76 station before it died. Now the heads are cracked and loosing 12 to 16 ounces of coolant per day for a 50 mile round trip to my job.
I will never buy another piece of crap subaru again. Thie car was totally misreprensented if not downright lied about when he sold me this wreck.
love my car but mine is a stranded and can not find a drive shaft for it.
I BOUGHT MY FIRST BRZ LAST YEAR OCTOBER 2012. I LOVE THIS CAR. ITS VERY SPORTY IN EVERY WAY. I TRADED MY X 2007 MERCEDES BENZ CLS63 AMG CAR FOR IT. THIS BRZ IS BETTER ON GAS THAN THE CLS63. IT HANDLES GREAT AND DRIVE SUPER. ITS HAS KEYLESS FEATURE. IS HAS A WOUNDERFUL TOUCH SCREEN AM/FM/CD/SAT RADIO THAT WORKS WITH YOUR CELL PHONE. THE RADIO TALKS AND YOU CAN TALK TO THE RADIO AND TELL IT TO CHANGE STATIONS. THESE BRZ'S ARE VERY HARD TO FIND IN THE UNITED STATES. I NEVER HAD NO TROUBLE WITH THIS CAR SINCE I HAD IT. MY BRZ HAS A FACTORY TINTED WINDOWS ON IT. ITS FACTORY LOWERED. I AM PLANNING TO KEEP THIS ONE FOREVER. THE ONLY THING THAT IS BAD ABOUT THE CAR IS THE REAR BACK SEATS. IT HAS NO LEG ROOM FOR TALL ADULTS. THIS CAR IS GREAT FOR DRIFTING ON A RACE TRACK.
We bought this used in 2004 with 24K miles. Now at 220,000 miles and still going strong. It is a joy to drive.
2010 Legacy GT 6spd manual, 2nd Subaru ( last one was a 2002 WRX Wagon ). I am a HUGE Subie fan, and have enjoyed fantastic experiences with both vehicles. In fact, my mother now drives a 2008 Outback v6, my father 2013 Legacy Premium, my sister-in-law 2013 Forester.

The Legacy GT offers a much more mature and sophisticated ride, plush comfortable interior, and upscale styling to the WRX's street fighter demeanor. But it doesn't give up any performance with 35 HP more than the old WRX.

I baby my Subarus with maintenance, Mobile 1 oil and filters, BP premium gas, nothing but the best in parts. It may cost a little more ( $0.20/ gal, no biggie ), but you will get that money back if you ever sell it.

I sold my WRX at 10 years old with 177k miles, sold in 3 days for $3000.

Take care of your Subaru, and it will take care of you.
When I test-drove my '07 Legacy I fell in love. The car handled like a dream. Steering was tight, with zero body roll - which the five star score for suspension and steering hints at - and the engine let out a gentle rumble that I loved. The car had an understated elegance which the new model lacks. "Platypus" comes to mind. During snowstorms, so common in the Northeast, this car kept driving long after Accords and Camrys got stuck.

Fast forwarding to ~50,000 miles, I had to replace my first wheel bearing. Two more were to come, both before 150,000 miles. I soon learned that wheel bearing failures are epidemic with Subaru cars, be they Legacy, Impreza, Forrester, or Outback models. So much for Subaru's safety focus.

The beginning of the end came at 140,000 miles. At that point, I discovered that both head gasket and front cam seal were leaking. Subaru specialists told me I had little time before the engine went bust.

Being worn out with my Legacy's issues - in addition to a deer hit that cost 8k to repair and a rear collision from a young kid talking on a cell phone which led to a poor repair - I lost any shred of motivation to fix this car. I was simply not paying over 1K to repair the engine only to wonder what else would break.

Honestly, I love the way the car handles. I love how I can count on this car during a snow storm. I know that if my car can't handle a road, most cars can't handle that road either. But I feel cheated. I thought I bought a car, but I bought a toy.

I don't know what this "Subaru Reliability" thing is that people talk about. Data and reviews based on that data clearly show that Subaru has subpar reliability. Ford and Dodge, two brands I have long associated with low reliability, have superior reliability. My previous Mercury Mystique, a cheap cheap car, drove to 175,000 miles without major issues. Subaru can't?

So figure out what you want in a car. Reliability you probably won't get. If my experience says something, you may find yourself in the shop more often than you expect.

...but you will get good handling for a cheap midsize sedan. You will get a car with an outstanding all-wheel drive system that you genuinely can count on. If these matter to you, the Legacy still makes sense. But you will need to budget for the extra time and money you will spend on this car. Here are some of the costs I ran into in 150,000 miles:

- Three unexpected 4-tire changes due to a single sidewall cut (which you can't repair). At $125/tire, this equals roughly $1.5K unexpected expenses (vs
Got hit with a lemon. Purchased for $5000.00 and in 2 months have had to rebuild engine completely and now am replacing the electrical unit. The car has 130,000 miles on it.
The 2012 Outback is an excellent vehicle. Large, but with very good gas mileage for its size. The only issue is that the a/c cannot be directed in enough positions, otherwise is a great all wheel vehicle
I've had to replace a head gasket once and then decided to buy a crate engine when appleway subaru decided that since I was 2,000 miles over my 15,000 mile warranty when they installed the wrong head gasket! There are 3 different types of head gaskets for this year. I love how the car handles and rips through the snow but I personally will probably never buy another 98. I'm beginning to have problems with my electrical that has been nothing but a head ache. Love the car hate the problems
i like this car but ther are lots subaru cheepened, and as with the 98 to 2002 head gasket issue subaru dosnt stand behind thier product , the manual trans has tooo high 1st gear and always stalls when i leave my driveway on a snow day,also driving lights go off when switching to high beams this sucks and is dangerous. also drink holder is in the way of shifter and e brake, poor lay out. also park /neutral switch went out at 80k mi ,why it has a park switch on a stick nobody knows!
I love this car, the only thing is, the motor was rebuilt prior to me purchasing the car.... After the rebuild the car drove amazing, after replacing a hose that goes to the turbo that was broken causing an intake leak. Later, i noticed my car was going through gas like i have never seen, i ran OBD2 Diag. on it.... Short term fuel trim is at -25 at idle!! and also while driving. I did some research and was looking at Blow Off Valves... noticed that the stock was a recirculating BOV. I disconnected the hose that ran from the BOV to the intake system so i could get the "pshhh"... could that be what is causing my fuel problem?? Should i re-connect that hose? Or are theyre any other ideas on what i should do. I cannot drive the car until it is fixed because the gas mileage is so terrible.
LOVED my Baja--the perfect vehicle for the Western NC mountain terrain, good on gas, plus the handy back compartment for hauling a bale of hay for the garden or taking the trash to the dump--that is, until it burst into flames on I-81 coming into Syracuse last week. I was lucky to get out. Took 4 firetrucks, and literally melted into the pavement. "Nightmare" does not begin to describe it. Fire inspectors determined it was an electrical fire originating with the blower (fan) that circulates air through the vents. OMG.
This is my 1st and perhaps last Subaru (not that I think it will last me forever). It is a 6-speed manual with the short-throw shifter (that is the only "extra" that the car has -- and it is factory installed). The car doesn't have 20K on it yet & already, I've had 2 clutches put in it (so this is #3) -- about 1 every 8K. Just this evening, I have lost reverse gear. I do not grind gears, I don't ride it hard, I don't rock it back & forth, I drive reasonably & responsibly.