A steering rack bushing is a steel sleeve surrounded by neoprene rubber that’s used on each mounting point of a steering rack. Its purpose is to dampen the vibration caused by the operation of the vehicle and the steering gear.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Steering may clunk or jerk while turning
- Clunk when going over bumps
- Excess free play in steering
Related Repair Advice
- A four-wheel alignment should be performed after replacing the steering rack bushings
- The steering rack bushing should be inspected as part of any front end or pre-alignment inspection