Steering Problems on 1997 Dodge Intrepid

I've had my Intrepid for 3 years now and have had to replace minor things along the way. Now, however I'm having major issues with the steering. After replacing the tie rod ends and having a front end alignment in Oct, I noticed that making turns I started hearing clunking noises, the steering wheel would catch then suddenly release and at times would be like not having power steering at all. Now, the noises have disappeared and it is just to a point where it basically has no power steering especially when braking or turning at slow speeds. Power steering fluid levels are fine. Is this something that is going to get worse? One garage told me I would just lose the power steering and another told me it's an accident waiting to happen.

by in Crossville, TN on June 26, 2011
1 answer
ANSWER by on June 26, 2011
Both garages gave you good advice. You are losing your power steering and you could experience an unfortunate accident if you can't steer your car. Most likely it's a failing PS pump but it could also be a failing steering rack. There are ways a pro would check these things. Get it diagnosed ASAP. If you want to find a Dodge specialist, here's our directory link for you:
...s it turns easier, after 5 days driving it like this today I drove it and 90% of time no power steering problems. a shop told me the rack and pinion is bad but why would it now have power steering? could it...
I was driving and heard a loud noise and car would not steer what could be my problem.Car will go back and forth but not left or right
I have a 99 dodge intrepid with a thumping noise in the steering. This noise only occurs when you are pulling out of a parking spot and are only moving the car with idle speed. It makes a loud th...
I have a problem with my steering wheel locking up, and I can't turn the key to start my car. A friend told me that this is a child safety mechanism. Does anyone know anything about this and how I ...
when driving there is a heavy rattle. we thought it was the alignment. then steering column started smoking!!!!What could be causing this.