starting problem on Jeep Grand Cherokee

Average mileage: 118,193 (45,000–270,000)
14 model years affected: 1995, 1997, 2000, 2002, more2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
42 people reported this problem
25 people shared problem details
Very similar situation. Wouldn't start earlier in the day, but eventually did after about 15 tries and after a failed jump. Started next 5 times throughout the day, but then didn't at the end of the day. Battery has been tested and has good charge. I only hear a click, and no turning over. Having it looked at tomorrow, will report the problem once it's fixed.
On January 17th I took my car in because I went to the gas station after leaving home got my gas went in to pay for my gas came out and my car would not start. Tried starting it 15 times and finally it started. Took it into the dealership and they said that the battery was bad so I replaced it. Today left my home vehicle started. I got to the gas station again shut the car off locked it came back out within 20 minutes and it would not start it just clicked. I took it back into the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with it. They let it sit for 1 hour and it still started up. I need help I have not had this vehicle even a year.
Same deal cranks fine but no start, New Battery. New Starter. New Crank Sensor. No problems for about a month. Did it again last night. Very frustrating.
When I insert the key in the ignition to turn the vehicle on, it makes a clicking noise and does not start up. I replaced the battery less than two months ago. The last time I drove it before this new problem, it overheated and a yellow fluid started pouring from underneath the car.
I swapped the Air Conditioner relay with the start relay. This fixed the random start problem. Two months later it was back, only much worse. This time I changed to a new relay. Problem was fixed. I removed both the start and A/C relay's and opened them up. Both had badly pitted and burned contacts. I then also replaced the A/C relay with a new unit. This seems to be a common problem with the Grand Cherokee series.
Same problem as everyone else. I replaced battery, start relay, checked wires, in fact all of the reported fixes. I have lived with this for almost a year. Finally it failed completely and would not start at all. My problem was a loose wire on the inside of the starter solenoid lug. On the outside of the lug bolt are two nuts. The inside one holds the lug bolt tight against the solenoid cover. Then the battery terminal is secured with the outside nut. I found the entire terminal lug was slightly loose and I could easily twist it. Although I have not seen the inside of a starter solenoid I surmise that on the inside is a wire lug for the solenoid coil and that is what is loose. I removed the battery terminals wire and associated nut from the solenoid and tightened the bottom nut so the entire terminal was solid. I then replaced the battery terminal and tightened the outside nut. It has been seven months and the problem has not occurred again. The click you here is the solenoid operating, however, if the battery wire is not tight you will not get sufficient current for the starter motor to spin. The starter and solenoid are a one piece unit. Getting to the assembly is a large pain but if it solves the problem it is worth it. Howard
turn key on sounded like it wanted to start, did, and just died. did this about three times and then it just clicked
Had the same problem with my jeep starting, first it was the battery on my daughter wedding day, replaced that and now i have to replace the starter. the list goes on.
Follow-up on "Report #2": the problem for me was a starter. Sounds like that is likely the problem with your's, too, though I'm no mechanic and can't say for sure. Basically, I was having the same problem where the shop didn't know the problem since it was starting for them, but once it didn't they knew it was definitely the starter. Ended up being about a $300 fix for me, but it took a little more labor since they didn't know what it was, and a tow job. Part costs $150, so you could likely get this replaced for around $200 at a reasonable shop (not a dealership).
solenoiod clicking but starter not engaging
So they replaced my ignition switch, if I don't start the truck by pushing it in when turning it on or off. It won't start. It locks up. I'll let it sit for a hour or two go back and it will start. When I put the key in, the lights and dash board comes on. So they said they coded my key to the ignition switch.
There has been a recall on the ingnition key fob. The dealership states they replaced the recall but it's still not starting!! Now they want to charge me and also this take the responsibility off them to refund me for the tow service because their are saying it's not the recall. Very frustrated!! Has anyone else had the same issuse's??
Started great then just started making a clicking noise and won't start.??????? Starter? Battery? ????
Same issue as everyone else, except it's on a 2012... Dealer was useless and still no fix to this day
Try to start the Jeep and the engine sputters and will not fully turn on. Tried many time and after about 20-30 minutes it starts normally. I've taken it to the dealer and they cannot find codes. The ignition switch was recently changed per the safety recall. I did not have the problem previously, but have had this engine sputter several times since the ignition switch was changed. The dealer said the ignition switch is working properly... Any ideas?
Intermittent crank no start. Some days car runs with no issues, then two days later it takes four tries to get it started. Crank works just fine, but the car won't start. Spark plugs replaced. Battery one year old. Has been to Jeep dealership several times without success of getting the car diagnosed as it won't act up for them.
Hello, I have 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 125,000 miles and it will not start sometimes. By sometimes, i mean it just clicks. Other times it starts just fine. I have full batter life, so that cannot be the issue. Has anyone else experienced this before and how do i fix it?
when i try starting my car it makes a clicking sound and the check engine light comes on. it's not the first time it happened and I thought I had the fixed the problem
My jeep did not start yesterday. I was able to start it with the remote start feature but it died as soon as I put the key in the ignition. It eventually started on its own about 10 minutes later. Today the Jeep stopped working after driving it all day. Now it will not start at all. Everything works and does not flicker when I try to start it. I tried unhooking the battery for 30 seconds to reset everything and using the spare key. Nothing has worked. Any other suggestions?
will not start but the starter is good when you turn the key it will not start
the starter relay buzzes and vehicle will not start---replaced starter still has same problem.c...
Will not start at times. Has happened numerous times. When you turn key on and directly to st...
Check engine light on, note said "key fob battery low" I changed the battery in both fobs and...
Have owned is jeep since aug.09. 3 times Ive had it towed off because it wont start. Everything...