starting problem on Jeep Grand Cherokee

Average mileage: 10,834,479 (45,000–212,000,000)
11 model years affected: 1994, 1999, 2000, 2002, more2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012
26 people reported this problem
18 people shared problem details
On January 17th I took my car in because I went to the gas station after leaving home got my gas went in to pay for my gas came out and my car would not start. Tried starting it 15 times and finally it started. Took it into the dealership and they said that the battery was bad so I replaced it. Today left my home vehicle started. I got to the gas station again shut the car off locked it came back out within 20 minutes and it would not start it just clicked. I took it back into the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with it. They let it sit for 1 hour and it still started up. I need help I have not had this vehicle even a year.
Upvoted (13)Flag Inappropriate
Very similar situation. Wouldn't start earlier in the day, but eventually did after about 15 tries and after a failed jump. Started next 5 times throughout the day, but then didn't at the end of the day. Battery has been tested and has good charge. I only hear a click, and no turning over. Having it looked at tomorrow, will report the problem once it's fixed.
Upvoted (10)Flag Inappropriate
Same deal cranks fine but no start, New Battery. New Starter. New Crank Sensor. No problems for about a month. Did it again last night. Very frustrating.
Had the same problem with my jeep starting, first it was the battery on my daughter wedding day, replaced that and now i have to replace the starter. the list goes on.
I swapped the Air Conditioner relay with the start relay. This fixed the random start problem. Two months later it was back, only much worse. This time I changed to a new relay. Problem was fixed. I removed both the start and A/C relay's and opened them up. Both had badly pitted and burned contacts. I then also replaced the A/C relay with a new unit. This seems to be a common problem with the Grand Cherokee series.
When I insert the key in the ignition to turn the vehicle on, it makes a clicking noise and does not start up. I replaced the battery less than two months ago. The last time I drove it before this new problem, it overheated and a yellow fluid started pouring from underneath the car.
Same problem as everyone else. I replaced battery, start relay, checked wires, in fact all of the reported fixes. I have lived with this for almost a year. Finally it failed completely and would not start at all. My problem was a loose wire on the inside of the starter solenoid lug. On the outside of the lug bolt are two nuts. The inside one holds the lug bolt tight against the solenoid cover. Then the battery terminal is secured with the outside nut. I found the entire terminal lug was slightly loose and I could easily twist it. Although I have not seen the inside of a starter solenoid I surmise that on the inside is a wire lug for the solenoid coil and that is what is loose. I removed the battery terminals wire and associated nut from the solenoid and tightened the bottom nut so the entire terminal was solid. I then replaced the battery terminal and tightened the outside nut. It has been seven months and the problem has not occurred again. The click you here is the solenoid operating, however, if the battery wire is not tight you will not get sufficient current for the starter motor to spin. The starter and solenoid are a one piece unit. Getting to the assembly is a large pain but if it solves the problem it is worth it. Howard
My Jeep will not start. We tested t he battery and it is still good, we try and crank it over but all we hear is a click sound. Im thinking maybe it might be a starter but im not 100% sure.
Follow-up on "Report #2": the problem for me was a starter. Sounds like that is likely the problem with your's, too, though I'm no mechanic and can't say for sure. Basically, I was having the same problem where the shop didn't know the problem since it was starting for them, but once it didn't they knew it was definitely the starter. Ended up being about a $300 fix for me, but it took a little more labor since they didn't know what it was, and a tow job. Part costs $150, so you could likely get this replaced for around $200 at a reasonable shop (not a dealership).
Problem started a year ago when I left a meeting and my car would not start. Made a clicking sound like starter problem or near dead battery ... but ...gages went haywire, auto CD player went through search, and after a minute or so all stopped until I turned the key again. Note that removal of the key with ignition off did not stop the events with the gages, etc. Called AAA and after a while the man said it was a bad battery. Note that jumping the battery did nothing. I kept turning the key on and off (to start) and finally it started. Nine months later I had the exact same problem. And AAA towed me to Jeep dealer who, after a day, said it was a bad battery. (The battery was about 2 years old at that time). Had them replace battery and all worked well till today when I left church and the car had the same problem. After turning the key on/off multiple times, moving the shift gear through all shift points, trying jumpers. Nothing except clicking, and wild gages/cd player. After talking to a nearby garage who could not help till Monday, I returned to the car, turned the key on and off quickly, and shifted gears also, and after about 10 key movements, the car started. Drove the car home and there it sits. Neither the dealer or anyone else can identify the problem (note dealer diagnostics did not show a problem). Any suggestions???
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee2,409,888
Drove it home the day we got it everything was fine. Turned it off drove around a few places then went to advance auto to get oil turned the jeep off and still won't start. Got new distrutrer cap rotor button and couple other things. Still nothing it cranks but won't start. Help please.
Same issue as everyone else, except it's on a 2012... Dealer was useless and still no fix to this day
Car would not start after driving in hot weather, happened twice so far. Now it is starting but now it is making a clicking noise, I have read so many people replacing the starter, and the same thing happening, Help!
I put key in ignition it won't start. Just clicks won't turn over. Touch positive battery post ant it was hot. Tried to disconnect the battery post it sparks. What's my problem?
Started about a year ago, happens about 1x every 2-3 months in different locations, weather conditions, there is no rhyme or reason. The last week it has happened 3x intermittent. Dealer had it for a week about 3 weeks ago, problem could not be recreated. This also happened inconjuction with the check 4 wheel drive light coming on-which the software did get updated for. Dealer opened ticket with Chrysler-they have no solution. Dealer has went through the whole electrical system. It is going back to the dealer and they warned me to rent a car for at least a couple weeks because unless the problem is recreated they cannot fix it-I dont even know what to do this this car and either do they. I want it to start then I am getting rid of it.To recap-car will not start, not a battery issue all lights etc come on, if it sits for about 12 hours will finally start but will do it again anywhere between 2-3 months, 2-3 days, 1 x a year. The key has been tested.
get it back running and sell it looks great 4wdgets stuck on level damp grass i need my nissan truck im a fool
Started when vehicle was 2 years old. Have replaced starter several times, but keeps coming back within a year.. If you beat on the starter it when it just clicks, the starter will work. This gets old fast, and is a pain.
The starter has just failed for the 3rd time. . 1st time replaced with rebuilt - car 4 years old. 2nd time car 6 years old put new starter in. 3rd time car 9 years old failed today 70000 mi
the starter relay buzzes and vehicle will not start---replaced starter still has same problem.currently wont start no codes active or stored.
Check engine light on, note said "key fob battery low" I changed the battery in both fobs and...
Have owned is jeep since aug.09. 3 times Ive had it towed off because it wont start. Everything...
Will not start at times. Has happened numerous times. When you turn key on and directly to st...