starting problem on Jeep Grand Cherokee

Average mileage: 135,754 (23,000–270,000)
18 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, more2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
74 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 20 of 44 problem details
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 223,000 mi,
Very similar situation. Wouldn't start earlier in the day, but eventually did after about 15 tries and after a failed jump. Started next 5 times throughout the day, but then didn't at the end of the day. Battery has been tested and has good charge. I only hear a click, and no turning over. Having it looked at tomorrow, will report the problem once it's fixed.
On January 17th I took my car in because I went to the gas station after leaving home got my gas went in to pay for my gas came out and my car would not start. Tried starting it 15 times and finally it started. Took it into the dealership and they said that the battery was bad so I replaced it. Today left my home vehicle started. I got to the gas station again shut the car off locked it came back out within 20 minutes and it would not start it just clicked. I took it back into the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with it. They let it sit for 1 hour and it still started up. I need help I have not had this vehicle even a year.
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 125,000 mi,
Hello, I have 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 125,000 miles and it will not start sometimes. By sometimes, i mean it just clicks. Other times it starts just fine. I have full batter life, so that cannot be the issue. Has anyone else experienced this before and how do i fix it?
Same deal cranks fine but no start, New Battery. New Starter. New Crank Sensor. No problems for about a month. Did it again last night. Very frustrating.
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 81,300 mi,
When I insert the key in the ignition to turn the vehicle on, it makes a clicking noise and does not start up. I replaced the battery less than two months ago. The last time I drove it before this new problem, it overheated and a yellow fluid started pouring from underneath the car.
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 107,000 mi,
Started great then just started making a clicking noise and won't start.??????? Starter? Battery? ????
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 112,000 mi,
turn key on sounded like it wanted to start, did, and just died. did this about three times and then it just clicked
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 50,000 mi,
Same problem as everyone else. I replaced battery, start relay, checked wires, in fact all of the reported fixes. I have lived with this for almost a year. Finally it failed completely and would not start at all. My problem was a loose wire on the inside of the starter solenoid lug. On the outside of the lug bolt are two nuts. The inside one holds the lug bolt tight against the solenoid cover. Then the battery terminal is secured with the outside nut. I found the entire terminal lug was slightly loose and I could easily twist it. Although I have not seen the inside of a starter solenoid I surmise that on the inside is a wire lug for the solenoid coil and that is what is loose. I removed the battery terminals wire and associated nut from the solenoid and tightened the bottom nut so the entire terminal was solid. I then replaced the battery terminal and tightened the outside nut. It has been seven months and the problem has not occurred again. The click you here is the solenoid operating, however, if the battery wire is not tight you will not get sufficient current for the starter motor to spin. The starter and solenoid are a one piece unit. Getting to the assembly is a large pain but if it solves the problem it is worth it. Howard
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 169,000 mi,
Car will start and then I turn it off to go in somewhere and when I come back out to start my car it will not start. I've tried jump starting it and it still will not start. All I hear when i turn the key is a click and nothing else. Also it sounds like the click is coming from the dash.
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 180,000 mi,
solenoiod clicking but starter not engaging
There has been a recall on the ingnition key fob. The dealership states they replaced the recall but it's still not starting!! Now they want to charge me and also this take the responsibility off them to refund me for the tow service because their are saying it's not the recall. Very frustrated!! Has anyone else had the same issuse's??
I swapped the Air Conditioner relay with the start relay. This fixed the random start problem. Two months later it was back, only much worse. This time I changed to a new relay. Problem was fixed. I removed both the start and A/C relay's and opened them up. Both had badly pitted and burned contacts. I then also replaced the A/C relay with a new unit. This seems to be a common problem with the Grand Cherokee series.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 91,000 mi,
Stopped vehicle while running into a store. When I cam back wouldn't start. Just like most of the posts here. I see alot of complaints by other folks about this issue, but not any solid answers. What gives? I don't have the money to run my jeep through the dealer multiple times!
So they replaced my ignition switch, if I don't start the truck by pushing it in when turning it on or off. It won't start. It locks up. I'll let it sit for a hour or two go back and it will start. When I put the key in, the lights and dash board comes on. So they said they coded my key to the ignition switch.
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 130,000 mi,
Had the same problem with my jeep starting, first it was the battery on my daughter wedding day, replaced that and now i have to replace the starter. the list goes on.
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 90,000 mi,
Same issue as everyone else, except it's on a 2012... Dealer was useless and still no fix to this day
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 192,000 mi,
Car was fine. Got to work and it wouldn't start back up. Got a jump and still nothing. Waited about 20 minutes then is started with no problem. Next morning, it wouldn't start at all. Waited 30 minutes started with no problem. Takes multiple tries to start. Battery is fine and fuses are fine. I don't know where to go from here.
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 223,000 mi,
Follow-up on "Report #2": the problem for me was a starter. Sounds like that is likely the problem with your's, too, though I'm no mechanic and can't say for sure. Basically, I was having the same problem where the shop didn't know the problem since it was starting for them, but once it didn't they knew it was definitely the starter. Ended up being about a $300 fix for me, but it took a little more labor since they didn't know what it was, and a tow job. Part costs $150, so you could likely get this replaced for around $200 at a reasonable shop (not a dealership).
Try to start the Jeep and the engine sputters and will not fully turn on. Tried many time and after about 20-30 minutes it starts normally. I've taken it to the dealer and they cannot find anything...no codes. The ignition switch was recently changed per the safety recall. I did not have the problem previously, but have had this engine sputter several times since the ignition switch was changed. The dealer said the ignition switch is working properly... Any ideas?
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 23,000 mi,
Problem. remote start crank car but dies after 10 seconds. message reads "remote start disabled, turn car on to reset". check engine light stays on.