starting problem on Jeep Grand Cherokee

Average mileage: 7,503,178 (40,000–212,000,000)
14 model years affected: 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, more2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
37 people reported this problem
27 people shared problem details
On January 17th I took my car in because I went to the gas station after leaving home got my gas went in to pay for my gas came out and my car would not start. Tried starting it 15 times and finally it started. Took it into the dealership and they said that the battery was bad so I replaced it. Today left my home vehicle started. I got to the gas station again shut the car off locked it came back out within 20 minutes and it would not start it just clicked. I took it back into the dealership and they could not find anything wrong with it. They let it sit for 1 hour and it still started up. I need help I have not had this vehicle even a year.
Very similar situation. Wouldn't start earlier in the day, but eventually did after about 15 tries and after a failed jump. Started next 5 times throughout the day, but then didn't at the end of the day. Battery has been tested and has good charge. I only hear a click, and no turning over. Having it looked at tomorrow, will report the problem once it's fixed.
Same deal cranks fine but no start, New Battery. New Starter. New Crank Sensor. No problems for about a month. Did it again last night. Very frustrating.
I swapped the Air Conditioner relay with the start relay. This fixed the random start problem. Two months later it was back, only much worse. This time I changed to a new relay. Problem was fixed. I removed both the start and A/C relay's and opened them up. Both had badly pitted and burned contacts. I then also replaced the A/C relay with a new unit. This seems to be a common problem with the Grand Cherokee series.
When I insert the key in the ignition to turn the vehicle on, it makes a clicking noise and does not start up. I replaced the battery less than two months ago. The last time I drove it before this new problem, it overheated and a yellow fluid started pouring from underneath the car.
Same problem as everyone else. I replaced battery, start relay, checked wires, in fact all of the reported fixes. I have lived with this for almost a year. Finally it failed completely and would not start at all. My problem was a loose wire on the inside of the starter solenoid lug. On the outside of the lug bolt are two nuts. The inside one holds the lug bolt tight against the solenoid cover. Then the battery terminal is secured with the outside nut. I found the entire terminal lug was slightly loose and I could easily twist it. Although I have not seen the inside of a starter solenoid I surmise that on the inside is a wire lug for the solenoid coil and that is what is loose. I removed the battery terminals wire and associated nut from the solenoid and tightened the bottom nut so the entire terminal was solid. I then replaced the battery terminal and tightened the outside nut. It has been seven months and the problem has not occurred again. The click you here is the solenoid operating, however, if the battery wire is not tight you will not get sufficient current for the starter motor to spin. The starter and solenoid are a one piece unit. Getting to the assembly is a large pain but if it solves the problem it is worth it. Howard
Had the same problem with my jeep starting, first it was the battery on my daughter wedding day, replaced that and now i have to replace the starter. the list goes on.
My Jeep will not start. We tested t he battery and it is still good, we try and crank it over but all we hear is a click sound. Im thinking maybe it might be a starter but im not 100% sure.
Follow-up on "Report #2": the problem for me was a starter. Sounds like that is likely the problem with your's, too, though I'm no mechanic and can't say for sure. Basically, I was having the same problem where the shop didn't know the problem since it was starting for them, but once it didn't they knew it was definitely the starter. Ended up being about a $300 fix for me, but it took a little more labor since they didn't know what it was, and a tow job. Part costs $150, so you could likely get this replaced for around $200 at a reasonable shop (not a dealership).
Battery location
4 times in the past 2 months the car will not start. jumping from another car, or battery starter pack does not help. turning the ignition key only results in one short grind and nothing after. like a dead battery. every time battery was fully charged upon testing so battery is not problem. had new battery and new alternator installed and 3 weeks later same problem. dealer is baffled. read several articles on line and so many people have the same issue. Jeep has a problem that has not been addressed.
Wont start gave ine single click thiught i would replace starter i did didnt fix then i replaced ignton switch their ya go problem solved
After my battery died put in a new battery but it then would start and imidiately die after starting.
Will not start replaced battery now nothing replace cables also
Car wouldn't start one day so I brought it to a mechanic and now it starts.
turn key on sounded like it wanted to start, did, and just died. did this about three times and then it just clicked
There has been a recall on the ingnition key fob. The dealership states they replaced the recall but it's still not starting!! Now they want to charge me and also this take the responsibility off them to refund me for the tow service because their are saying it's not the recall. Very frustrated!! Has anyone else had the same issuse's??
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: There is a recall/warranty work on the fuel pump that may be the issue. Ask the stealershit if your jeep is one of the ones that requires the new fuel pump and see if you still have the problem after they replace it. Enjoy!
Problem started a year ago when I left a meeting and my car would not start. Made a clicking sound like starter problem or near dead battery ... but ...gages went haywire, auto CD player went through search, and after a minute or so all stopped until I turned the key again. Note that removal of the key with ignition off did not stop the events with the gages, etc. Called AAA and after a while the man said it was a bad battery. Note that jumping the battery did nothing. I kept turning the key on and off (to start) and finally it started. Nine months later I had the exact same problem. And AAA towed me to Jeep dealer who, after a day, said it was a bad battery. (The battery was about 2 years old at that time). Had them replace battery and all worked well till today when I left church and the car had the same problem. After turning the key on/off multiple times, moving the shift gear through all shift points, trying jumpers. Nothing except clicking, and wild gages/cd player. After talking to a nearby garage who could not help till Monday, I returned to the car, turned the key on and off quickly, and shifted gears also, and after about 10 key movements, the car started. Drove the car home and there it sits. Neither the dealer or anyone else can identify the problem (note dealer diagnostics did not show a problem). Any suggestions???
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee2,409,888
Drove it home the day we got it everything was fine. Turned it off drove around a few places then went to advance auto to get oil turned the jeep off and still won't start. Got new distrutrer cap rotor button and couple other things. Still nothing it cranks but won't start. Help please.
Will not start at times. Has happened numerous times. When you turn key on and directly to st...
the starter relay buzzes and vehicle will not start---replaced starter still has same problem.c...
Check engine light on, note said "key fob battery low" I changed the battery in both fobs and...
Have owned is jeep since aug.09. 3 times Ive had it towed off because it wont start. Everything...