1990 Lincoln Town Car Q&A

1990 Lincoln Town Car Question: Starter problems

Hi I have a problem My lincoln town car wont start. Battery is fully charged and all I get when i turn the key is a loud click and twang from the diode. The kids were playing in the car right before this happened is there some type of anti theft system that could cause this? -
If your are just getting a click, that is the starter solenoid working, but the starter is not turning over the engine. You might try tapping on the starter with a hammer ( if you can safely do this ) while some one is cranking trying to crank the engine. If the starter begins to work, then you need a new starter. This is assuming that your battery is still powerful enough to turn over the engine. A fully charged battery can still not have enough power to crank an engine over if it is old and worn out. It can still operate the lights, but that is minor compared to the energy needed to crank over an engine. -
Comment 1
Hi I have. a. 2000 lincoln town car and it is doing the same thing i. got my starter replaced started fine for a few days now its doing it again -
experiencing coolant loss. coolant appears to be coming from area near starter. checked engine top to bottom to include hoses,clamps,freeze plugs,heater hose connections,water pump weep hole. only ...
even when driving the battery will die had alternater and starter checked it tested good but something killing the battery
If you experience poor running and low fuel economy after the starter has been repaired, it could indicate that an incorrect starter relay was used. A diode-suppressed starter relay may be needed.
I went a got a brand new battery and when I try to start it I get nothing at all. With the hood up, you can hear a tiny little tick, but that is it. Is this a starter if I never had any sign it was...
My 1992 towncar has been a good one. When we got back from town today I parked in Driveway to wash all the mud off, (we have snow and mush. Roads were mostly dry. I hosed down the car to remove mud...