speedometer on 1997 Dodge Ram 2500

I put a 354 gear in my truck and speedometer running 7 mph low. Can I change the speedometer pinion gear in the tranmission to correct this problem.

by in China Grove, NC on February 17, 2011
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
1 answer 1 comment
ANSWER by , February 18, 2011
Rear axle gear ratio and tire size determine speedometer pinion requirements. REMOVAL 1.Raise vehicle. 2.Disconnect wires from vehicle speed sensor. 3.Remove adapter clamp and screw 4.Remove speed sensor and speedometer adapter as assembly. 5.Remove speed sensor retaining screw and remove sensor from adapter. 6.Remove speedometer pinion from adapter. Consult your local dealership for the correct pinion gear for your application.
COMMENT by , February 20, 2011
Thanks Dealer ship don't have gear order from a place out west.