Honda Q&A

2004 Honda Element Question: SOMEONE.....ANYONE?? STARTING PROBLEM!!

Elemental, East Peoria, IL, October 25, 2009, 12:56

Ok everyone, I love my Element just like the rest of you, but I am about ready to turn it into a realllly big boat anchor!!!
Here's the issue......vehicle was run low on gasoline (VERY LOW)...had been hard to start for a few weeeks prior (old battery)...finally wouldn't start and battery went completely dead from cranking. BRAND NEW battery now, and I can't get it to start. As with my other fuel injected vehicles that have run low/out of gas, I pumped the accelerator once to the floor, and released before starting. NO LUCK at all!!! The new battery is now very low/dead and like I said, it's about to become a boat anchor unless I can get it started.......HELP me......I don't want to drown my Element....but I WILL!!!
Thanks everyone!!!

1 Answer

October 25, 2009, 16:36
     Journeyman

There are three things that an engine needs to run, spark, fuel and compression. If the car ran fine before the no start issue then I would go out on a limb and say the compression and timing are probably okay. The other issues are spark and fuel. You will need to find out if you are getting fuel to the injectors and if the injectors are actually working. Also you will need to check to see if the vehicle is getting spark. Since your vehicle has individual coils (4) for spark there may be an issue with the power source and not just an individual coil. In both cases you will need an electrical troubleshooting manual and a voltmeter to diagnose the problems. If you are not familiar with these things you will need to find a qualified technician that can pinpoint the problem for you.