Recently when shifting into reverse it seems as if the emergency break is on and will not allow the vehicle to back up. Have been able to put in park and in drive gears and eventually back to reverse and can back up. Is this a transmission problem? What is my recourse? Estimate of cost?
Shifting to reverse gear problems on 1999 Chevrolet Malibu
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by Bret Bodas ,
November 09, 2009
The next step would be to have the transmission checked for proper operation. It may be an issue with the shifter, but more likely it's in the transmission, but the only way to know for sure is to have it diagnosed.
Transmission Fault and/or Check Engine Light With Code P0716, P0776, P0717, P0777, P2714, P2715, and/or P02723
Verified for the Chevrolet Malibu95 reports
1 answerMay 11, 2015
This week's top 10
Recent Chevrolet Malibu Questions
- I smell radiator coolent when I'm driving.
- Was changing spark plugs and brittle hose/tube broke.
- How do you replace one of the torsional bars and n the trunk? The front on pop
- My car sounds a lot louder than it should when I first start it? Please help!
- I Change the airflow sensor & The map sensor.On my Chevy Malibu 2006.
1999 Chevrolet Malibu Estimates
- Power Door Lock Actuator Replacement ($209 - 300) in Cheltenham, MD
- Knock Sensor Replacement ($100 - 121) in Greencreek, ID
- Wheel Bearing Replacement - Rear ($318 - 537) in Mooers Forks, NY
- Brake Drum Replacement ($316 - 456) in Van, WV
- Stabilizer Bushing Replacement ($90 - 112) in Olympia Fields, IL
- Emergency Brake Cable Replacement ($205 - 244) in Loughman, FL