Honda Q&A

1997 Honda Accord Question: Shifting problems.

, 2.2L 4 Cylinder, Wapakoneta, OH, February 10, 2011, 13:48

I took it to get an oil change and the men showed me it was low on transmission fluid. I knew my car has been shifting funny so I let them flush it. It was working fine until today it wouldn't shift around 20 mph. I stopped and put it in park then back in to gear but it wouldn't shift into gear so I turned it off for a minute then turned it back on and it started working for about 10 more minutes. After a couple more stops it acted up around 20 mph. again. It has 180,000 miles so it won't surprise me if I will need to get another transmission.

foreigntech from Foreigntech of South Florida, February 10, 2011, 16:18

The car needs a new transmission.The torque converter and the seals has gone bad and is clogging the screen in the transmission causing it to slip.My recommendation would be to replace the unit with a remanufacture transmission which should cost about 950.00

January 04, 2015, 14:15

Your speed sensor is bad only ,if you are going to change it your self change the fluid also,the shift sensor screen need cleaning ,you can take them off used a part cleaner and replace them ,remenber flushing the transmission tranny is done by three refill or go to youtube and see transmission flush.next