Occasionally as I am driving, for no apparent reason the front end of my explorer will shake uncontrollably. I step on the brake hard and slow down, almost stop and it goes away. I was told this could be caused by the steering stabilizer bar. If this is so how difficult is it to repair and how dangerous is it.
shaking front end on 1998 Ford Explorer
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by dandd ,
April 12, 2009
Have a an expert front end person check this out. It could be the steering dampener as well. I would have a pro do this inspection and repair. It can take some powerful air hammers to break loose these parts and you want to be sure that the entire, real problem is addressed, or it could endanger your life.
1 answerOctober 12, 2010
1 answerMay 14, 2011
2 answersFebruary 13, 2011
2 answersJune 15, 2010
1 answerMay 11, 2014
This week's top 10
Recent Ford Explorer Questions
- How much does it cost to replace harmonic balance on 1999 Buick century custom
- what is the cost to repair all the timing belts in vehicle?
- how do I fix the windshield wipers that don't work
- the motor dies when I put the unit in drive
- Has there been replacement of the PT unit I am having grinding grunting noise
1998 Ford Explorer Estimates
- Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement ($226 - 293) in Carson, IA
- Wheel Bearing Replacement - Rear ($351 - 545) in Aristes, PA
- Brake Wheel Cylinder Replacement ($229 - 293) in Troy, IL
- Spark Plug Replacement ($142 - 197) in Minerva, OH
- Suspension Control Arm Replacement ($195 - 271) in Grygla, MN
- Window Switch Replacement ($99 - 244) in Elk, CA