During manufacturing, a sealed type wheel bearing is lubricated for life and will not require routine maintenance during its lifetime.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Wheels may make a growling, groaning, or rumbling sound at speeds above 15 mph or when turning
Related Repair Advice
- Due to the vehicle weight transfer when turning, bearing noise noted when turning right commonly indicates a failed left wheel bearing (and vise versa)
- Wheel bearings need to be replaced if they are found to be worn or loose during related repairs or inspections
- Noisy tires can sound similar to a failing wheel bearing
- All related wheel bearings seals should also be replaced during bearing service