Hyundai Q&A

2003 Hyundai Sonata Question: Rough Idle, Stall problem...repairs not helping

Lovebostons3, 2.4L 4 Cylinder, Bronx, NY, February 24, 2011, 15:57

For a month my car has tried to stall and shakes like crazy when I am idling. No codes ever showed. Have had 2 ignition coils replaced, wires replace, throttle cleaner, new alternator, new battery, and some ignition sensor thing....still rough idle, stalling, Prior to all of this I never had a problem with this car. I'm the only owner, , bought it new in 2003, only drive it back and forth to work, maintained, only 43,000 original miles, and I'm the only driver. EGR valve checked, it's fine. Cam sensor checked, it's fine. What the heck else can it be?

• Medium-star Best Answer
    dandd February 25, 2011, 10:51

How well does the idle control motor work? It may be worn out. This is what controls how well your car idles and or dies at stops. Did anyone check this? I assume that there are no vacuum leaks, that some one check for those. Also how clean is your mass air flow sensor.

pbc90723 July 27, 2011, 00:14

Hope U got it fixed by now. Around those miles my car would stall and the delear replaced a bunch on belts and stuff, thank god it was still under warranty.

Now my 02 Sonata has 80K miles and I have all the symptoms you have. Rough idle; I have a voltage meter on my stereo and see it drop when it shakes. Actually turned off once @ a stop. Had the battery tested @ Autozone...it checked ok.

Took it to local shop for another issue (leaking boot). They said it had a transmission code and that the dealer should know what it is.

The dealer kept the car for 2 days and basically said their hands were tied w/o a code. They did suggest that it could be the alternator (since I have HID lights and sound system). Can't belive they couldn't fix it.

The car continued to shake during stops. Leaving the radio off did help, but just seem to prolong not fix the problem. Actually turned off on my twice today (both while traveling @ slow speeds). A co-worker of mine has a cousin that worked for Hyundai and he suggested to replace the Throttle Position Sensor. It's less that $50. I will try this tomorrow and post what happens.

Answer Ranks