The resonator is a smaller muffler that works in conjunction with the larger muffler to help reduce the noise produced by the engine. It’s located between the catalytic converter and the muffler.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Louder than normal engine noise from the exhaust system
- Unusual smell from exhaust
- Rattle type noise from under the vehicle
- Vehicle may fail an emissions test
Related Repair Advice
- Failure of the exhaust system may cause exhaust gases to enter the passenger compartment. The exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide (CO), which can cause drowsiness and death.
- The exhaust hangers and mounts should be inspected whenever an exhaust system component is replaced