Reports of Daytime Running Light Problems on Toyota Corolla

There are occasional reports of daytime running light problems.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 134,385 (22,000–213,000)
10 model years affected: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, more2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
47 people reported this problem
38 people shared problem details
Recently my dashboard lights on my 2008 Corolla began flashing on and off. After a few days of this they finally went off. I have been told that when this happens it also is shutting down my tail lights (brake lights work). Now in the early AM as the sun is rising, I notice them trying to come on and then shutting down. This on off will continue for the entire drive to work. I am thinking it is a problem with the day time running lights sensor. When the lights flash there is a clicking sound coming from behind the glove box. Any ideas?
Upvoted (37)Flag Inappropriate
2001 Toyota Corolla194,000
Running lights will not turn off. Spent entire day at repair shop and still no repair. Mechanic thought it was a bad relay switch. Not! Another mechanic thought it may be a bad switch in steering wheel that needs to be replaced. Got to find a solution. Tired of opening hood to disconnect battery terminal.
Upvoted (24)Flag Inappropriate
2003 Toyota Corolla98,000
Lights turn themselves on when car is not running. Happened two nights in a row during extreme cold snap - single digit temperatures - leaving the battery dead. Got a new battery. Saw online somone said turning the highbeams on before turning the car off will prevent this from happening. Hoping for warmer temperatures as it definitely seems to be related to extremely cold temperatures.
Upvoted (22)Flag Inappropriate
2001 Toyota Corolla110,000
Daytime running lights not working correctly. Tested all relays and fuses, Running Light Assy Relay behind glove box burnt. Installed a new one, it burnt as well. Haven't resolved underlying problem.
Upvoted (15)Flag Inappropriate
My DRLs on my 2001 corolla won't turn off even with the key out of the ignition, and I have no idea how to fix this. Also, my headlight indicator won't stop flashing. I've also read elsewhere that checking the fuses, disconnecting the TAIL lights, changing shorted DRL modules and relays, changing fuses, switching the defroster with the DRL relay, taking apart the fuse box, checking for corroding wires, replacing corroded/perfectly fine wires, and praying does nothing. So far I've been disconnecting the battery every time I park, and reconnecting every time I need to drive. I really don't know what all this means. Please help (without any directions to take apart the glove compartment, because apparently that doesn't work either).
Upvoted (14)Flag Inappropriate
my lights will turn on by themselves in the middle of the night, when its colder then -20, drains the battery every time, but also heard to leave the brights on, going to try it next time. also glad i'm not the only one this happens to. I live in ontario, canada it gets cold a lot here, have had a dead battery few times this year already.
Upvoted (11)Flag Inappropriate
2005 Toyota Corolla143,000
Daylight running lights:tail lights not working, but brake lights work. When I turn lights on manually, all dash lights go out-- unable to read speedometer or any other dash indicators
2003 Toyota Corolla100,000
My daytime running lamps have gone out twice. the first lamp that went out was the passenger side, and now it's the drivers side lamp.
2001 Toyota Corolla165,000
day time lights
2003 Toyota Corolla160,000
Daytime runners are turning on at night and in the morning I have a dead battery. Temperatures have been below 0.
Car lights turning on by themselves
2002 Toyota Corolla84,000
lights not shutting off when car is turned off
I've experienced problems with the lights kicking on due to extreme drop in temp. Last winter I had to jump start my car regularly.
2004 Toyota Corolla176,000
Daytime running light malfunction. Working intermittently. When it is not working, the battery light comes on. Sometimes the headlights randomly dim and brighten while driving at night during total darkness. I'm thinking the dashboard sensor has gone bad.
1999 Toyota Corolla209,000
Every time I turn the headlights on, it cuts power to the car. Thought it was the relay switch, so I replaced it but I still have the same problem
2001 Toyota Corolla154,000
High beam indicator flashes,parking lights stay on after car shutoff and keys removed,daytime running lights do not come on automaticly
Taillights won't shut off when car isn't running. Brake lights won't work now
Running lights stay on after the car is shutoff.the lights will shut off when running but then when the vehicle is shut off the running lights come back on. While this is happening the high beam light keeps flashing until high beams are clicked on.
2000 Toyota Corolla162,000
When i turn head lights on, then turn the switch off. Its stays on
2008 Toyota Corolla102,200
Light check engine is on in five days and off on 2days on again idont no what the problem
check engine light came on for 2 weeks, got a diagnostic with the code p0741 but then after 2 w...
Friday after work I started the car in a sheltered car garage and as soon as I started the car...
Engine indicter yellow light does not go off after starting of engine
When I turn the light switch on the dashboard light and tail lights do not come on until 5 or 1...