Reports of Daytime Running Light Problems on Toyota Corolla

There are occasional reports of daytime running light problems.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 129,696 (22,000–213,000)
12 model years affected: 1993, 1994, 1999, 2000, more2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
50 people reported this problem
40 people shared problem details
Recently my dashboard lights on my 2008 Corolla began flashing on and off. After a few days of this they finally went off. I have been told that when this happens it also is shutting down my tail lights (brake lights work). Now in the early AM as the sun is rising, I notice them trying to come on and then shutting down. This on off will continue for the entire drive to work. I am thinking it is a problem with the day time running lights sensor. When the lights flash there is a clicking sound coming from behind the glove box. Any ideas?
2001 Toyota Corolla194,000
Running lights will not turn off. Spent entire day at repair shop and still no repair. Mechanic thought it was a bad relay switch. Not! Another mechanic thought it may be a bad switch in steering wheel that needs to be replaced. Got to find a solution. Tired of opening hood to disconnect battery terminal.
2003 Toyota Corolla98,000
Lights turn themselves on when car is not running. Happened two nights in a row during extreme cold snap - single digit temperatures - leaving the battery dead. Got a new battery. Saw online somone said turning the highbeams on before turning the car off will prevent this from happening. Hoping for warmer temperatures as it definitely seems to be related to extremely cold temperatures.
My DRLs on my 2001 corolla won't turn off even with the key out of the ignition, and I have no idea how to fix this. Also, my headlight indicator won't stop flashing. I've also read elsewhere that checking the fuses, disconnecting the TAIL lights, changing shorted DRL modules and relays, changing fuses, switching the defroster with the DRL relay, taking apart the fuse box, checking for corroding wires, replacing corroded/perfectly fine wires, and praying does nothing. So far I've been disconnecting the battery every time I park, and reconnecting every time I need to drive. I really don't know what all this means. Please help (without any directions to take apart the glove compartment, because apparently that doesn't work either).
2001 Toyota Corolla110,000
Daytime running lights not working correctly. Tested all relays and fuses, Running Light Assy Relay behind glove box burnt. Installed a new one, it burnt as well. Haven't resolved underlying problem.
2005 Toyota Corolla143,000
Daylight running lights:tail lights not working, but brake lights work. When I turn lights on manually, all dash lights go out-- unable to read speedometer or any other dash indicators
my lights will turn on by themselves in the middle of the night, when its colder then -20, drains the battery every time, but also heard to leave the brights on, going to try it next time. also glad i'm not the only one this happens to. I live in ontario, canada it gets cold a lot here, have had a dead battery few times this year already.
2001 Toyota Corolla165,000
day time lights
2003 Toyota Corolla160,000
Daytime runners are turning on at night and in the morning I have a dead battery. Temperatures have been below 0.
2002 Toyota Corolla84,000
lights not shutting off when car is turned off
2003 Toyota Corolla100,000
My daytime running lamps have gone out twice. the first lamp that went out was the passenger side, and now it's the drivers side lamp.
I've experienced problems with the lights kicking on due to extreme drop in temp. Last winter I had to jump start my car regularly.
2009 Toyota Corolla76,000
right side low beam went out tried changing the bulb and the fuses. still didn't work high beams work. taking it to the dealer ship in two days.
2002 Toyota Corolla210,000
I keep changing the running lights censor on my 02 corolla, because every so often it blows out. Any ideas of wy it happens?
1994 Toyota Corolla55,204
Parking lights will not turn off after key was removed. Tried the daylight controls, turned it completely off, lights still on.
2001 Toyota Corolla154,000
High beam indicator flashes,parking lights stay on after car shutoff and keys removed,daytime running lights do not come on automaticly
Running lights stay on after the car is shutoff.the lights will shut off when running but then when the vehicle is shut off the running lights come back on. While this is happening the high beam light keeps flashing until high beams are clicked on.
Car lights turning on by themselves
1993 Toyota Corolla125,000
At night my headlights turn on by themselves, even though the switch is definitely off. Now, when we turn the high beam switch on after parking it, they seem to stay off. I think this has something to do with the cold, as it has been getting chilly lately and there is always frost on my window in the morning. I am not car savvy and I really need a solution for this soon. =(
Taillights won't shut off when car isn't running. Brake lights won't work now
check engine light came on for 2 weeks, got a diagnostic with the code p0741 but then after 2 weeks, the check en...
Engine indicter yellow light does not go off after starting of engine
Friday after work I started the car in a sheltered car garage and as soon as I started the car...
When I turn the light switch on the dashboard light and tail lights do not come on until 5 or 1...