Reports of Daytime Running Light Problems on Toyota Corolla

Problem Description and Possible Solution

There are occasional reports of daytime running light problems.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 132,622 (22,000–213,000)
15 model years affected: 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, more2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2015
64 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 20 of 42 comments
Recently my dashboard lights on my 2008 Corolla began flashing on and off. After a few days of this they finally went off. I have been told that when this happens it also is shutting down my tail lights (brake lights work). Now in the early AM as the sun is rising, I notice them trying to come on and then shutting down. This on off will continue for the entire drive to work. I am thinking it is a problem with the day time running lights sensor. When the lights flash there is a clicking sound coming from behind the glove box. Any ideas?
Running lights will not turn off. Spent entire day at repair shop and still no repair. Mechanic thought it was a bad relay switch. Not! Another mechanic thought it may be a bad switch in steering wheel that needs to be replaced. Got to find a solution. Tired of opening hood to disconnect battery terminal.
My DRLs on my 2001 corolla won't turn off even with the key out of the ignition, and I have no idea how to fix this. Also, my headlight indicator won't stop flashing. I've also read elsewhere that checking the fuses, disconnecting the TAIL lights, changing shorted DRL modules and relays, changing fuses, switching the defroster with the DRL relay, taking apart the fuse box, checking for corroding wires, replacing corroded/perfectly fine wires, and praying does nothing.

So far I've been disconnecting the battery every time I park, and reconnecting every time I need to drive. I really don't know what all this means. Please help (without any directions to take apart the glove compartment, because apparently that doesn't work either).
Daytime running lights not working correctly. Tested all relays and fuses, Running Light Assy Relay behind glove box burnt. Installed a new one, it burnt as well. Haven't resolved underlying problem.
Daylight running lights:tail lights not working, but brake lights work. When I turn lights on manually, all dash lights go out-- unable to read speedometer or any other dash indicators
Lights turn themselves on when car is not running. Happened two nights in a row during extreme cold snap - single digit temperatures - leaving the battery dead. Got a new battery. Saw online somone said turning the highbeams on before turning the car off will prevent this from happening. Hoping for warmer temperatures as it definitely seems to be related to extremely cold temperatures.
lights not shutting off when car is turned off
my lights will turn on by themselves in the middle of the night, when its colder then -20, drains the battery every time, but also heard to leave the brights on, going to try it next time. also glad i'm not the only one this happens to. I live in ontario, canada it gets cold a lot here, have had a dead battery few times this year already.
I keep changing the running lights censor on my 02 corolla, because every so often it blows out. Any ideas of wy it happens?
day time lights
Running lights stay on after the car is shutoff.the lights will shut off when running but then when the vehicle is shut off the running lights come back on. While this is happening the high beam light keeps flashing until high beams are clicked on.
Daytime runners are turning on at night and in the morning I have a dead battery. Temperatures have been below 0.
My daytime running lamps have gone out twice. the first lamp that went out was the passenger side, and now it's the drivers side lamp.
Parking lights will not turn off after key was removed. Tried the daylight controls, turned it completely off, lights still on.
right side low beam went out tried changing the bulb and the fuses. still didn't work high beams work. taking it to the dealer ship in two days.
Daytime running lights not working
At night my headlights turn on by themselves, even though the switch is definitely off. Now, when we turn the high beam switch on after parking it, they seem to stay off. I think this has something to do with the cold, as it has been getting chilly lately and there is always frost on my window in the morning.

I am not car savvy and I really need a solution for this soon. =(
High beam indicator flashes,parking lights stay on after car shutoff and keys removed,daytime running lights do not come on automaticly
Car lights turning on by themselves
I've experienced problems with the lights kicking on due to extreme drop in temp. Last winter I had to jump start my car regularly.