Car Problem Reports

Toyota Corolla Problem
25 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008

Average Mileage: 127,936 mi (22,000 mi - 213,000 mi)

Verified

There are occasional reports of daytime running light problems.

•  Rookie

Recently my dashboard lights on my 2008 Corolla began flashing on and off. After a few days of this they finally went off. I have been told that when this happens it also is shutting down my tail lights (brake lights work). Now in the early AM as the sun is rising, I notice them trying to come on and then shutting down. This on off will continue for the entire drive to work. I am thinking it is a problem with the day time running lights sensor. When the lights flash there is a clicking sound coming from behind the glove box. Any ideas?

• Visitor, , 98,000 mi

Lights turn themselves on when car is not running. Happened two nights in a row during extreme cold snap - single digit temperatures - leaving the battery dead. Got a new battery. Saw online somone said turning the highbeams on before turning the car off will prevent this from happening. Hoping for warmer temperatures as it definitely seems to be related to extremely cold temperatures.

• Visitor, , 194,000 mi

Running lights will not turn off. Spent entire day at repair shop and still no repair. Mechanic thought it was a bad relay switch. Not! Another mechanic thought it may be a bad switch in steering wheel that needs to be replaced. Got to find a solution. Tired of opening hood to disconnect battery terminal.

• Visitor, , 110,000 mi

Daytime running lights not working correctly. Tested all relays and fuses, Running Light Assy Relay behind glove box burnt. Installed a new one, it burnt as well. Haven't resolved underlying problem.

• my lights will turn on by themselves in the middle of the night, when its colder then -20, drains the battery every time, but also heard to leave the brights on, going to try it next time. also glad i'm not the only one this happens to. I live in ontario, canada it gets cold a lot here, have had a dead battery few times this year already.

• Visitor, , 165,000 mi

day time lights

•  Rookie

My DRLs on my 2001 corolla won't turn off even with the key out of the ignition, and I have no idea how to fix this. Also, my headlight indicator won't stop flashing. I've also read elsewhere that checking the fuses, disconnecting the TAIL lights, changing shorted DRL modules and relays, changing fuses, switching the defroster with the DRL relay, taking apart the fuse box, checking for corroding wires, replacing corroded/perfectly fine wires, and praying does nothing.

So far I've been disconnecting the battery every time I park, and reconnecting every time I need to drive. I really don't know what all this means. Please help (without any directions to take apart the glove compartment, because apparently that doesn't work either).

• Visitor, , 100,000 mi

My daytime running lamps have gone out twice. the first lamp that went out was the passenger side, and now it's the drivers side lamp.

• Visitor, , 143,000 mi

Daylight running lights:tail lights not working, but brake lights work. When I turn lights on manually, all dash lights go out-- unable to read speedometer or any other dash indicators

• jko, , 50,000 mi

The same problem. they always come on...frequent bulb burnout!

+ See more reports