replace rubber boot on cv joint on 1997 Nissan 200SX

how do i replace the rubber boot on the outboard cv joint

by in Springfield, MO on March 18, 2011
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
1 answer 1 comment
ANSWER by , March 18, 2011
The shaft has to be taken off the car to replace the CV boot. There are universal fit boots that are "split" that don't require shaft removal but they are awful and don't work. Removal of the axle is not very difficult if you are experienced in working on cars but if you are not its best left to a professional mechanic. If you do remove the axle you may be better letting an auto parts store or repair shop fit the boot for you and clean and inspect the axle or replace the axle all together if it is cheap. There is a company that independent auto repair shops "buy" their information from that the same information inexpensively to do it yourselfers. The information is year make and model specific repair procedures, service bulletins, component locations, wiring diagrams ect.... Alldata is very easy to navigate
COMMENT by , March 18, 2011
there are several companies that make brand new complete axles for about $100 if you shop around. why would you ever replace just a boot for that kind of money??