I have two remote keypads that do not lock/unlock the doors or trunk and they do not arm/disarm the alarm. I have changed the battery in both keypads but that did not solve the problem. Any suggestions?
Buick Q&AAsk Your Question
1999 Buick Century Question: Remote keypad stopped working
Answer #1Oakman October 15, 2009, 16:24Master
Here are some possibilities for the problem you are having with the keyless entry system on your 1999 Buick Century. 1) Both remotes are bad and need to be replaced. 2) The remote door lock receiver has failed. 3) There is a wiring issue to the door lock receiver. 4) The body control module have failed and is not receiving messages from the door lock receiver. The first step would be to try "reprogramming the remotes" here is the procedure:
1) Sit in the driver's seat.
2) Remove the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
3) Close all vehicle doors.
4) Press and hold unlock on the door lock switch.
5) While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, insert and remove the ignition key twice. Do not rotate the ignition lock cylinder.
6) Insert the ignition key a third time leaving the key in the ignition lock cylinder. The ignition must remain in the LOCK position for the rest of the procedure.
7) Release the door lock switch. You will hear three chimes. This chime feedback indicates that transmitter programming is active.
8) Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time on the keyless entry transmitter for 12 seconds. You will hear two chimes. This chime feedback indicates that the transmitter has been programmed successfully.
9) Repeat step 8 for the rest of the transmitters (for a total of 4 transmitters).
10) Exit this procedure by removing the ignition key from the ignition lock cylinder.
If this restores the operation of your remotes, great! If not or if the old remotes work for a while and then stop again you will need to try programing a "known good" or new remote and see what happens.