2001 Mazda Tribute Q&A

2001 Mazda Tribute Question: Recurring EGR valve problems

Car began idling rough today; hesitant ignition. EGR valve was sticking. Have replaced the EGR valve twice in the past year and a half. If I hook a vacuum line to it, I can get it unstuck but after a while it will do it again. No engine light indicating problems with sensors, but then again, the thermostat for temp has been lit for about 5 years even though there is no problem with overheating, mechanic told me at that time that he could run a test at the price of about $80 but that it was a common fault on these cars for the light to be on. Got a rebuilt transmission little over a year ago and that seems to be having some minor hesitation shifting from second to third gear at random times. Ideas? Solutions? -
Are you doing the work , or is a mechanic? That will help in how the question is answered. -
Comment 1
DIY, as before. -
possible clogged EGR ports. -
After reading this forum, I am wondering if my Tribute's problem is the EGR. I have taken car to dealer and 2-3 other mechanics to fix recurring check engine and gas cap error lights. Over the past...