Ford Q&A

1990 Ford Taurus Question: radiator fan problem

jgdixon1961, Spokane, WA, May 05, 2011, 01:10

I have an 1986 ford taurus lx with the 3 liter v-6 engine. My radiator fan would not come on. I changed the relay, (part from salvage yard) then the fan comes on, even when the car is not running and the key is in the off position. I had changed the coolant heat sensor (new part) also. I have tried the fuse box, there isn't a fuse there for the radiator fan. I pulled the controls from the dash and disconected all the plug in wiring, and the fan still comes on. Then I found the resistor ( located bolted to the block its a ceramic block with wires coming out of it )and disconected it, and the fan did not come on, but I noticed that in that breif moment when I had the negative cable touching the battery there were some fumes. I smelled the battery post and it smelled like a hot electrical smell. So, what do I do now ? and what part does this resistor play in the problem, can I fix my problem with a replacement resistor ? Or do I put the old relay back in the car and change the resistor ? The goal here is just to get the fan to work as it is intended to. Thanks for reading my problem.

1 Answer

Visitor, May 05, 2011, 05:17

i think the resistor is for running fan on low speed, so if fan is calling for low speed the fan isnt going to run with it removed unless it gets warmer and calls for high speed, when you say relay i assume you are talking about integrated control module that has about 17 wires, i dont see another relay, also the module has power at all times even with key off. i suspect control module.

Visitor, May 05, 2011, 22:38

I went back to salvage yard and exchanged the relay, yes it's the integrated control module that sits on top of the radiator under a shroud just under the hood. This time, the fan stays off when the car is off, and key is off. However, the fan comes on as soon as the key is in the on position. These ancient modules are a little hard to come by just now as no one makes them. It seems to me that it's not very likely that this module is defective too, that would be three out of three. But, I am wondering, I know the fan is supposed to be on when the compressor for the AC is activated. If the wiring for the AC compressor is compromised and the module is getting a faulty signal that the AC is on can I just disconnect the compressor from the electrical ? This car hasn't blown cold air for years, so I am not using the AC anyway, it just happens to be where the serpentine belt rides and that's it. What do you think ?