Get answers to questions about your Nissan at RepairPal. Find solutions, diagnose problems and get back on the road.Refine by vehicle
I have been a gear head better part of 40 years. After taking the worst case ?? I purchased a $100.00 starter to being right back where I was. I hear the starter trying ,but sounds like teeth are not in line. Like early chevy starters I tried the shim method to no avail.teeth on fly a ok. Puzzled
We replaced the knock sensor and fuel pump but problem persist. I can be driving, slowing down and it stalls or sitting still and it stalls. Will restart withing a few minutes. Help?
how do i replace the rubber boot on the outboard cv joint
How do I replace the headlight bulbs?
the serpentine belt is squeaking even after changing it,
What kind of brake fluid should I get. The indicator light has been on for two days. Thank you
how much do it cost to purchase a under carriage shield for a 1999 nissan sentra and how much it would be to install it
I took a nail in one of my tires. It is in between the tread, not on the side wall. I know when I go to get it fixed they are going to try and sell me a new tire. Can someone comment on how I should assemble my argument ?
I am tired of being ripped off by these guys.
I HAVE A WATER LEAK ON PASSENGER SIDE WHEN IT RAINS OUTSIDE
I CANNOT FIND IT TOOK OFF SIDE PANELS PULLED CARPET BACK
EVEN TOOK BACK PANELS OFF CANNOT FIND IT
idles rough and jumps or bucks during excelleration
when driving the truck, gas meter and temperature meter is not working at all.
Truck cranks over fine, good battery, can hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds after turning key on. Seems to have spark from the distributor to plug wires. Just pulled the fuse from fuel pump started but had to put fuse back in the keep it running, turn it off try to start again runs rough for a couple seconds dies and will not dtart again til I repeat the process. ?????
Got check engine code P0731. Need to replace Shift solenoid valves A & B. I know they are in the A/T valve body - Question is can they be replaced at home or is this a shop job. If they can be done at home what are the steps and any special things to look out for?
I hope someone can advise me on this. Here's the background info:
1. My wife bought her 2000 altima GXE with 38k miles already on it in 2002. Now it has over 150k miles on it.
2. Once or twice a year since she bought it, the car won't start (engine will not even crank) unless she shifts the automatic transmission into neutral and back into park a couple of times. Sent it in to the Nissan dealer because she had extended warranty on it but since they could not replicate it and could not find any issue, nothing was done to fix it. And since it happens rarely, we basically forgot about it.
3. Last month, it started to happen almost weekly, but this time, shifting the transmission back into park does not help and but now ALL electronics (Power locks, alarms, lights, blinkers) are completely dead (this never happened before). A couple minutes later, it would start okay again. Thought it was a battery issue, but the AAA guy who came to help jumpstart tested the battery and it was fine. Went back to Walmart where the battery was still under warranty and it tested fine too. I cleaned the battery connectors and made sure everything was tight. Pretty sure it's not a battery or connection issue because the clock on the factory standard radio does NOT reset to 12:00 after every time this happens.
4. On Friday, not only did it fail to start after almost every time my wife turns off the ignition, (It would start okay again after a few minutes). The engine also shuts off (no sputtering, though) a couple of times when she was at a red light and when she was in stop and go traffic on the freeway. Called AAA for a tow. 30 minutes later, when the car was being put on the tow, the driver had her shift into neutral, and she decided to just try starting the engine and it actually started. But to be on the safe side, we had the car towed to our regular mechanic to have it looked at anyways.
5. Our regular mechanic hooked it up to his fancy shop-grade OBD II machine and did not find any error codes. Left it Idle for a while, drove it around his neighborhood a couple of times and cannot replicate the problem. When he was more confident that it would not break down while he was road testing it, he actually drove further away on the freeway and put some 40 miles total and still no problems. Due to that, he refuses to recommend any repair work to me simply because he does not want any of his customers coming back to complain that his recommendation did not fix the issue. He's confident it's not the alternator so I don't think he tested it. From what I know about alternators, I"m thinking it's not that either
6. I'm no car expert in any way but from my internet research i think it's a bad neutral safety switch. When I asked him about it, he said it's possible and he'll replace it if I want him to but he just would not recommend any possible fix for me himself. He quoted me $150+tax for a used/salvaged switch and $280+tax for a new one.
If i were to go ahead with this, I'd pay more for a new switch for peace of mind, but since I'm not employed right now I really want to be sure that this is what I should be fixing. What else can I do to test this...Or is there something else I should be testing?
Please advise, thanks!
Additional info that could be helpful:
1. Could this be a car alarm short/killswitch issue? About 5 years ago, the factory standard keyless entry remote broke, and rather than pay $90 to the dealer to get a replacement remote, I had a thrid party install a new Viper alarm with keyless entry remotes for $120. Last year, that viper alarm keylesss entry started failing and a replacement alarm box/brain was installed.
2. About 6 months ago,the check engine light started to turn on. determined that it was because of the front catalytic converter needs to be replaced. But since I was already laid off from work at the time and the same mechanic assured me that not replacing it immediately won't cause any more damage to the car. I opted to just buy a $50 OBDII code reader and reset the code to clear the check engine light every time it pops up again. So far the same error code has come up about 3 times and I've reset it everytime. Could this be related?
I have not ruled out a starter motor issue, but would a bad started motor cause the engine to shut off during idling at a red light and during stop and go traffic? What is really confusing is that it happens randomly and that all electronics go dead but the clock on the radio does not reset. Bad fuse?
Also, I'm in southern California where the temperature range and weather is relatively moderate so it's harder for me pinpoint if it happens only in specific environmental conditions.
the probelm just started
Why would my oil pressure light come on and then go off and then come back on real faint
Does the 2003 350z come w/ a timing chain or is it a belt?
car want start replace dist. and feul pump getting fire to spark plugs.does my car have regulator please help
starter spin's but does not engage engine flywheel. replace starter same problem. Starter drive gear not engaging engine flywheeel. move flywheel position, no help.
The service engine soon light just came on. The owners manual says to make sure the gas cap is tight. I did that a few days ago. Been driving short trips for a few days. The light is still on. Should I wait or take the car to a Nissan dealer?
Hi, this is Ed and i just drove my wife's 2000 Nissan Altima about 30 miles and i noticed the temp gage fluctuating up and down while driving at 55 to 60 mph. I was wandering what would cause this and how to fix it. No engine light on at this time. Thanks, Ed.
I just want to change the fluid for the first time, i noticed that when clamping a hill it slow down my mechanic to told me to change the transmission fluid
when do you change the timing chain? if it breaks will the pistons hit the valves?
I have a 2004 nissan xterra 3.3 v6 and the timing belt broke going down the road at approx55 mph, possibility valves are bent; how would i go about replacing the valves without buying a new motor.
i have replaced the pads on the truck but now i can not put the drum back on. i cant seem to be able to get it any tighter. what are all the steps i should do?
When turning the car on sometimes the gear shift just wants to stick and not move out of park, it seems to do it more when it was cold outside, and once the heater is running for a little while then it shifts. But today it is not cold outside and my husband was having difficulty shifting it. We keep jiggling it and then if finally shifts, then the rest of the day it seems to be ok
what is the cost of the knock sensor and the labor for installing. Is it for sure that I should replace it? or is something else causing me to get that code? How soon should it be done? what harm in waiting? Car running fine and no pinging or knocking sound from the engine.
I have a 1994 Nissan 300zx non-turbo.I just had a fuel injector replaced on my 3rd cylinder. 3 days later after my car was sitting for about 7 hours i started my car an it was making really weird noises when i pressed on the gas. I then noticed that i lot of white smoke was coming from 1 of my tail pipes(i have 4) I turned the car off and i noticed that some type of fluid was leaking from the pipe where the smoke was coming from. Inside that pipe there was alot of black sludge. What could this be? Please help.
my 2000 maxmia gle only runs hot when its drove for a period of time. Especially when u get above 60mph! cant figure out the problem need answers asap!!!
My a/c in my van blows out little air when I go on long trips.It starts off cold and blowing good then it gets warm and only alittle air blows out.