Volkswagen Passat Problem Reports

Most Reported Volkswagen Passat Problem Reports

View:Most ReportedNewestRepairPal Verified

Ignition wire breakdown is common, resulting in misfires.

The water pump and/or other cooling system may develop a coolant leak. Oil leaking from the  valve cover gasket is also common.

Extensive transmission damage can occur in some of the automatic transmission models when the transmission oil cooler fails and allows coolant to mix with the automatic transmission fluid.

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

Throttle body failure is not uncommon and can lead to shifting issues with the automatic transmission and other drivability concerns.

Poor drivability symptoms—including hard starting—can be caused by coolant temperature sensor and oxygen sensor faults.

The parking brake may not operate correctly. The correction involves addressing any stored anti-lock brake system (ABS) fault codes, replacing the rear brake pads if required, and following the basic settings procedure as per the scan tool. Our technicians tell us these procedures must be performed in the correct order for the parking brake to function correctly.

A damaged water pump impeller may cause an engine overheating condition. Our technicians tell us the repair should include replacement of the water pump, thermostat, and flushing the cooling system.

The Check Engine Light may illuminate as a result of a oxygen sensor and coolant temperature sensor fail. Replacement if the failed part will be necessary to correct this issue.

A coolant leak may develop after oil filter replacement. The coolant o-ring seal can be damaged if the oil filter housing turns when removing or installing the oil filter. The recommended procedure is to hold the filter housing when tightening or loosening the oil filter.

To ensure longevity of the engine, our technicians recommend to follow the maintenance schedule for the timing belt.

Cars using biofuel typically have problems with injection pump failures; symptoms can include a "no start" condition or external pump leaks.

My head gasket went in my 2002 VW Passat. I am so mad because I just paid it off Oct. 2011, and last winter had the turbo, timing belt, serpetene belt, and water pump replaced. It only has 171,000 miles on it and my JETTA never had any of these issues. It is a piece of junk! I also need my top valve cover replaced as well. They should have a recall on this because I see many others have had the same issues. The car is just a money pit; I...