Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Most reported Volkswagen problems

Reported by monkeytoesbme for the Volkswagen CC

Both of my back windows leak when it rains or even worse if I wash it. It has been to the shop 5 times for repair and they haven't been able to get them to stop leaking yet. It is an obvious design flaw. I would like to see VW recall this and get it fixed!

Reported by SpadGuy for the Volkswagen Golf TDI

The glove box hinges (made of plastic) on our 2000 Golf TDI have failed three times in the 10 years we have owned the car.

Verified for the Volkswagen Touareg TDI

Using the incorrect coolant may cause the engine coolant to become jelly like which can result in cooling system damage. Our technicians recommend using only the recommend G-12++ coolant.

Verified for the Volkswagen Touareg TDI

If the incorrect viscosity engine oil is used an engine noise may develop, in most cases heard only when the engine is cold. Our technicians recommend using the correct oil viscosity engine oil as noted on the oil fill cap.

Verified for the Volkswagen Passat TDI

Condensation may develop in the heater case which can cause a musty odor from the heating, ventilation and AC (HVAC) system.  Our technicians tell us a cleaner is available for the heater case. Also, the drain system should be checked for debris.

Verified for the Volkswagen Eos

A brake pulsation may develop due to improper torque of the wheel lug nuts. Our technicians tell us the lug nuts should be hand torqued to the proper specification to help avoid this condition.

Verified for the Volkswagen GTI

Water may be noted in the tail lights. The repair involves re-sealing the tail light housing mounts at the body.

Verified for the Volkswagen Touareg TDI

Because of issues with the glow plugs and/or the glow plug wiring harness from the control relay, the Check Engine Light may illuminate. Our technicians tell us there is a service bulletin, not a recall from Volkswagen regarding replacement of the glow plugs on the 2004 model year only.

Reported by Erika.Gastonguay for the Volkswagen Passat

My head gasket went in my 2002 VW Passat. I am so mad because I just paid it off Oct. 2011, and last winter had the turbo, timing belt, serpetene belt, and water pump replaced. It only has 171,000 miles on it and my JETTA never had any of these issues. It is a piece of junk! I also need my top valve cover replaced as well. They should have a recall on this because I see many others have had the same issues. The car is just a money pit; I...

Reported by blankman for the Volkswagen Passat

Thers a SEAL that seperate the differental from the transmissing clutches this is there cause unit uses to fluids DIFF side is GEAR OIL....TRANS side is DEXTRON. WHEN SEAL GOES BAD THE TWO FLUIDS MIX CAUSIENG A MAJOR problem cluthes stop gripping and car stops moving ...

Reported by dx01 for the Volkswagen Jetta

Vehicles with 2.0L engines consume oil at an unusually high rate. VW specifies the oil consumption should not be a cause for concern unless it exceeds 1 quart per 1000 miles.

Reported by dx01 for the Volkswagen Jetta

An accumulation of dust inside the body of the turn signal switch can cause a partially closed circuit, which results in the turn signal relay intermittently clicking at a high rate. Spraying a small amount of residue-free electronic contact cleaner (such as Electrosolve) inside the turn signal switch can resolve this problem. The turn signal relay is not the root cause of this problem, but may be damaged by it.

Reported by Machinist43 for the Volkswagen Jetta TDI

Two fuel injectors leaking and spraying fuel on engine replaced by VW $1300.