» »

Problems for specific Toyota Corolla years:

Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Most reported Toyota Corolla problems

Verified for the Toyota Corolla

A transmission fault code of P0770 or P0773 may occur at higher mileages which indicates that the 3-way lock-up solenoid has failed and will need replacement.

5 Reports

Verified for the Toyota Corolla

If the engine will not crank over, the most common problem is the starter. These will tend to go out at about 100,00-125,000 miles. Sometimes it is only the starter solenoid, but often the complete starter (including solenoid) needs to be replaced.

4 Reports

Verified for the Toyota Corolla
The timing belt tensioner may make a rattling noise at a higher mileages. This is due to the adjustment being at its limit. Our technicians tell us the range of the adjuster may be lengthened by elongating the slot where the spring attaches by 2-3 mm to remedy this problem.

Verified for the Toyota Corolla

The anti-lock brake system (ABS) may function erratically or illuminate the warning light due a damaged wheel speed sensor. A wheel bearing and/or CV joint with excessive runout can cause the ABS trigger rings to rub against the ABS sensors and damage them.

Verified for the Toyota Corolla

Typically the AC compressor is worn out by about 150,000 miles in warm and/or humid climates. It is recommended to replace the complete compressor including a new clutch and rpm sensor, and to replace the receiver/dryer as well.

Verified for the Toyota Corolla

The AC Expansion Valve may develop a very slow leak or allow too much refrigerant flow which reduces cooling. Our technicians tell us that Toyota makes an updated expansion valve to resolve these problems if and when they occur.

Verified for the Toyota Corolla

Front brake rotors can wear causing a pulsation felt in the brake pedal. Our technicians remind us to to use only factory quality rotors when brake rotors are replaced.

Verified for the Toyota Corolla
The rear Oxygen sensors are a critical element in fuel control (unlike other vehicles) and can cause an emissions test failure for high CO and HCs. The sensing element cracks and and reports an erroneous steady state lean condition which confuses the engine computer.

Reported by Jen D. and 2 others for the Toyota Corolla

The last 2 times it has rained my driver's side floor board has been full of water. Took it to the shop and determined the drain for the sun roof was clogged.

Verified for the Toyota Corolla

Occasionally, the timing chain and sprockets need replacement due to premature wear and problems with the variable valve timing system (VVTi).

Verified for the Toyota Corolla
It is important to regularly check the valve clearance as the exhaust valves may become too tight. This will lead to valve failures which are expensive to repair.

Reported by TinaV47 and 1 other for the Toyota Corolla

for about 1 week been putting in a qt per day of fluid my mechanic replaced sealbut still leaks a little especially when parked what 2 do

Reported by Liz M.A. for the Toyota Corolla

I wanted to share something I just found out this weekend when I took my 2009 Toyota Corolla in to the dealership. Problem was that I was hearing a loud humming sound in the cab. I could tell it was coming from the rear of the car. In addition, my airbag light went on. The problem was that my driver side rear axle bearing was out. Cost for the job, approx. $700. The continuously lit airbag light was fixed by installing a clock spring? C...

1 Report

Reported by Jen D. for the Toyota Corolla

Started the car one morning and the transmission started shifting extremely hard between 1st and 2nd gear. Took it to the dealership and the entire transmission had to be replaced. Thank goodness for my extended warranty. A $3700 repair cost me $50.

1 Report