Subaru Problem Reports

Newest Subaru Problem Reports

I have 2 Subaru Legacy's. Both have given me the same overheating problem at various times. This mimics all the symptoms of a head gasket leak. But the solution is ridiculously simple. Air gets trapped in the heater element, which sits under the dashboard and is higher than the radiator so that the air does not bleed out. There is no independent thermostat bypass in a Subaru. The hot water flowing through the heater element re-joins the main c...

Passenger seatbelt light comes on & dings when no passenger is in the seat

Hi, I'm seeing abs, traction control, parking brake lights with ER 55 above the mileage shown on my dashboard. I would like to know what the issue is and how to fix it. Is it common issue on the Subaru? I've diagnosed in the agent they told me it's the abs motor but they don't the part. Where can I buy this part? Appreciate your help and feedback.

I had the battery replaced over summer, but it died immediately. It needed an alternator. The alternator failed and I had it replaced again - but it was a warranty repair. Went to a good mechanic for the work.

At 150,000 miles, my Subaru Legacy developed a problem with the radio. Depending on my luck, the radio might or might not turn on. Eventually, the radio stopped working altogether, instead making a loud feedback type of noise. Subaru maintenance crew told me that the issue was electrical in nature and would cost upwards of $600 to repair.

My Subaru Legacy experienced three blown wheel bearings. Each time, the car would develop a droning noise, which would get progressively louder with continued driving. A fourth was in the works when my engine blew due to a leaking head gasket. Each wheel bearing cost $450 to replace.

At 130,000 miles, the engine began to overheat. I could smell burning oil while driving and, especially, while idling. Subaru maintenance told me I had an engine fan failure and that I had to replace both fans at a cost of $600. I refused to replace the fans at that time and took the car to a different dealership, where I was told that the fans were working fine...

...but that the head gasket was blown. Not just the head gasket either - the...

Sometimes the Check Engine Light illuminates because the computer detects misfires. Subaru released an improved spark plug wire set to solve the problem. The ignition coil should also be inspected for carbon tracks or short circuits between the contacts

A matter of some three minutes between smelling something burning (and, thankfully, pulling onto the shoulder of I-81 to investigate) and the vehicle bursting into flames. Took 4 firetrucks 45 minutes to put it out, at which point it had literally melted into the pavement, which presented quite a challenge to the tow truck driver who came to remove the carcass. Fire dept couldn't be certain of cause, but best guess was an electrical fire orig...

The air pump rusts out causing the the valves to get stuck open or closed. This appears to happen more frequently around wet areas (snow or humid). There are two valves; for the first one all you need to remove is the inter-cooler, the second valve is between the intake manifold and engine block.

The Check Engine Light may illuminate because of low catalytic converter efficiency. This same issue may cause the car to fail the State Smog Test if one is required.

Some problems have been noted with the remote start system. Our technicians tell us that replacing the ignition switch antenna ring and wire harness will generally correct this concern.

Subaru issued a recall (WWG-90) because the mass air flow sensor has a manufacturing defect.