» »

Problems for specific Subaru Legacy years:

Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Most reported Subaru Legacy problems

Verified for the Subaru Legacy

A failure in the anti-lock brake system (ABS) causes the ABS pump to continuously run, which will eventually wear down the battery. An improved ABS relay is available to solve the problem.

15 Reports

Verified for the Subaru Legacy

The head gasket has a high failure rate due to cooling system problems. Subaru is aware of the problem and has extended the warranty to 8 years/100k miles on many vehicles.

15 Reports

Verified for the Subaru Legacy

Front engine oil leaks can develop from the camshaft seal and the crankshaft front seal. If one or more seals require replacement, it may be wise to consider replacing the timing belt as well. These seals are commonly inspected and replaced as needed as part of a timing belt service.

9 Reports

Verified for the Subaru Legacy

The leak may develop from the oil pump seal. Our technicians prefer to use thread locker when replacing the seal to prevent the bolts from becoming loose again.

5 Reports

Verified for the Subaru Legacy

The front oxygen (air fuel ratio) sensor element may develop a crack, causing the Check Engine Light to illuminate. Subaru has recalled certain models to replace sensors that may fail. The Subaru service program number is WXW-80, this is not a government mandated recall.

2 Reports

Reported by lifeson22 and 1 other for the Subaru Legacy

At 150,000 miles, my Subaru Legacy developed a problem with the radio. Depending on my luck, the radio might or might not turn on. Eventually, the radio stopped working altogether, instead making a loud feedback type of noise. Subaru maintenance crew told me that the issue was electrical in nature and would cost upwards of $600 to repair.

2 Reports

Verified for the Subaru Legacy

Subaru issued a recall (WWG-90) because the mass air flow sensor has a manufacturing defect.

Verified for the Subaru Legacy

A vibration or shutter may be noted on acceleration. If the transmission torque converter is suspected a revised part is available to correct this concern.

Reported by lifeson22 for the Subaru Legacy

At 130,000 miles, the engine began to overheat. I could smell burning oil while driving and, especially, while idling. Subaru maintenance told me I had an engine fan failure and that I had to replace both fans at a cost of $600. I refused to replace the fans at that time and took the car to a different dealership, where I was told that the fans were working fine...

...but that the head gasket was blown. Not just the head gasket either - the...

Reported by lifeson22 for the Subaru Legacy

My Subaru Legacy experienced three blown wheel bearings. Each time, the car would develop a droning noise, which would get progressively louder with continued driving. A fourth was in the works when my engine blew due to a leaking head gasket. Each wheel bearing cost $450 to replace.