Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Most reported Nissan problems

Verified for the Nissan Xterra

Screws inside the intake manifold can become loose causing internal engine damage if they fall out completely. Our technicians report that using a strong thread locker on the power valve butterfly screws can help prevent them from becoming loose.

Verified for the Nissan Frontier

Verified for the Nissan 240SX

Regular maintenance is recommended to avoid timing chain failure. Rattles may develop in higher mileage vehicles. Regular oil changes will help reduce the incidence of this problem.

Verified for the Nissan Axxess

Verified for the Nissan Pulsar NX

Excessive timing chain noise, a rattling or ticking, on higher mileage cars may lead to timing chain failure, which can cause engine damage. There are upgraded chain tension guides with a steel backing to improve durability and a modified repair procedure no longer requires the removal of the cylinder head to replace the timing chain. Maintaining proper engine oil level and frequent oil changes are important to ensure the long-term durability of this engine.

Reported by Bret Bodas for the Nissan Pathfinder

For no reason the fuel gauge will go up, or down and couldn't seem to figure out why. Had the voltage regulator for the gauges replaced and that fixed it.

Verified for the Nissan 370Z

Various navigation system faults may be corrected by updating the navigation software. Proper diagnoses of the navigation system should be performed before the software upgrade is performed.

Reported by it_wasnt_me for the Nissan Maxima

Service Engine light came on. Took it to Auto-Zone initially. The diagnostic tool pointed to the EGR valve. I then took the car to a Nissan dealership who advised me it was indeed the EGR valve "stuck in the open position" along with a bad bank 1 convertor. Now, according to the dealership the engine is burning oil. Time for a second opinion.

Reported by mastertech6371 for the Nissan Sentra

Some Nissans with the 2.5 have multiple ignition coil failures.
The reason is the negative battery cable is corroded at the mounting at the bell housing on the transmission.
the solution is to replace the entire negative cable with a factory upgraded cable and replace the coils as well.

Reported by Azeraleo for the Nissan Xterra

My 2006 had had one problem after another , in one year I have spent over 2k in repairs and they said I will soon have to pay another 1700 to fix the quite high pitch noise I here that will soon get louder , and now my truck needs a new transmission , I am giving this car away hate it nothing but problems , and more to come . My truck started shaking bad after 60 mph and fixed it once 600$ then it happens again on other side , check engin ligh...

Reported by electrical for the Nissan Frontier

The Sunroof would not properly close and open. After the second try it would just open in vent position and would not close.
Solution
Depress the close button until slowly the sunroof closes and then it is a trip to the dealership to get it repaired. Beware that this problem took Nissan 2 months to repair and you are without a truck. The solution was a whole new liner from Japan to fix the issue. The fix does not repair it 100% as Nissan...

Reported by mellen333 for the Nissan Rogue

According to the service station, my oil cooler is cracked. I have read that there is a problem with the Altima Oil Cooler but not sure if the part is the same for the Rogue or if it's even the same issue. The mechanic said he can get the part and replace it thankfully, before it could damage my transmission.

Reported by Bweznen for the Nissan Pathfinder

Car would stall at a stop light or while driving. No engine lights/codes. Originally I took advice from a mechanic and replaced the distributor. This did not fix the problem. Problem got a little worse and eventually I got a MAF code. I wiggled the connector to the MAF sensor while the car was idling and I was able to get the engine to shut off, without engine light/codes. I replaced the MAF sensor and have not had a problem since.
Jim

Reported by PISCIAPH for the Nissan Frontier

The rear universal joint failed when I was driving.

Me Too

Reported by hrdbdy92 for the Nissan Pickup (D21)

I purchased my 1992 Nissan D21 truck in 1999 at 32,000 miles from the original owner. At that time the gas gauge was wandering. Also the anti-lock brake light was on. A few months later the gas gauge stopped working, but the low gas warning light still worked when gas got low in the tank. Then the temperature gauge stopped working. I took this car to several Nissan dealerships and they all said to replace the gas tank sending unit, which I tho...