Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Newest reported car problems

Reported by Chanman48 for the Chevrolet Avalanche 1500

One day after driving noticed green fluid leaking from the bottom of the truck. Talked with a few folks and found out it could be a very common problem with the transfer case. So I drove it around the block, and climbed underneath afterwards. Sure enough the fluid was comming from the side of the rear casing on the transfer case. Had to pull out the entire transfer case and take it in for a rebuild (I removed it myself, but the shop would've r...

Reported by URob for the Jeep Liberty

When attempting to start the engine, it turns over normally but will not start. The engine does not even attempt to start.

Found the problem, a mouse had chewed through a wire located near the ECU. The ECU is located on the fender by the right side hood hinge. Spliced the wire and wallah it starts and runs normally!!!!

Reported by PISCIAPH and 3 others for the Nissan Frontier

Truck was in for routine service and service told me I had coolant leaking into transmission. Over $1.000 to repair!

Reported by PISCIAPH for the Nissan Frontier

The rear universal joint failed when I was driving.

Reported by StanPique and 1 other for the BMW 325Ci

You have to reset the system manually by removing the back seat cover - there is a special allen key there to reset the system - a mechanic can do it for you in 10 minutes

Reported by hollmg and 1 other for the Chevrolet Tracker

the vehicle shuts off when driving ,sometimes starts right back up, sometimes you have to sit 5 to 15 minutes before it will start, it cranks but will not always start up in till it sits, I can not find any bad grounds or any bad wires.

Reported by jk585044 for the Kia Amanti

but it will start but the motor is making some noise. will it be safe to put the oil back in it and a new filter and fire it up

Reported by Bweznen for the Nissan Pathfinder

Car would stall at a stop light or while driving. No engine lights/codes. Originally I took advice from a mechanic and replaced the distributor. This did not fix the problem. Problem got a little worse and eventually I got a MAF code. I wiggled the connector to the MAF sensor while the car was idling and I was able to get the engine to shut off, without engine light/codes. I replaced the MAF sensor and have not had a problem since.
Jim

Reported by robbratton and 1 other for the Toyota Camry

The car seems to go out of alignment on all four wheels frequently. I've purchased an unlimited alignment plan from a local auto service provider and I get it done every month or so. It's always out, sometimes significantly.

I had the rear adjusters replaced since they had rusted to the point that they couldn't be turned anymore.

Reported by mozon and 1 other for the BMW 645Ci

down shifts hard

Reported by tenabrig for the Suzuki Grand Vitara

Oil leak was found thought it was the timing chain housing but with further investigation mechanic thought the head gasket was the leak after the heads were pulled, a crack was found. Machine shop said it probably came the factory that way. I bought my Suskui brand new in 2003 know for a fact is has never over heated.

Reported by wesley2 for the Mercedes-Benz C220

I have a 1996 Mercedes-Benz c220, and the oil light has came on ,but the oil level is correcet .I have checked for leaks and codes for that pay problem and there are none.

Reported by gemyle85 for the Cadillac Seville SLS

My car had a slow oil leak for about 6/mo, didnt pay it much attention cause it wasnt bad, but last week the flood gates open, oil leak went from a few drips to almost a steady stream from the lower driver side of the engine, thought that it was the intake manifold gaskets but turned out to be the rear main seal...this repair is very expensive if you take your car to a dealership or a shop, luckily im a engineer an i had a shop at my disposal ...

Reported by firemanjim81 for the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8

When I shift into sport mode and get on the throttle and then down shift into any lower gear it does not want to idle down. It stays around 3,000 rpm's which means I have to do some harder braking. I'm still looking for a solution.
The dealer tells me everything on the computer reads fine with no problems detected.

Reported by tj23 and 1 other for the Cadillac Seville STS

on u-tube a couple guys show a much cheaper 14 dollars fix for this not easy but can be done im tj and have blogged on this before,the car may run ok but gas mileage and will not pass emissions where applicable have had this problem multiple times it is listed under engine and drive train also

Reported by DanLexus for the Lexus GS430

I am the original owner and still love this car. Solid ride, no squeaks, and still can tear ass. One night, the Check Engine light and BOTH VSC lights came on. I paniced. I looked in the owner's manual and it said I could continue to drive the car, but to be aware that the VSC was was not enabled. Furthermore, I should take the car to the dealer for (expensive?) diagnosis and repairs. The next day, for some unknown reason, I did a Google...

Reported by mergon for the Honda Accord

ok when i bought mine it did not have a problem a lot of people out there with that Honda trans ,i got one but did my research,the unit only takes 3 bottles of fluid so the fluid is prone to heat up ,you have to use fully synthetic whether its hondas DW1 or other, this unit suffers from a bad design ,IE you cant get to the filters and it has a design fault on the valve that supplies fluid to the converter,regardless of people say flushing the ...

Reported by sailorfrog for the Volkswagen Jetta

first the airbag light keep coming on and going off starting at 25,000 miles was told it was due to having items in front seat. Then Drivers seat airbag sensor went out at 34,000 miles and had to be replaced thankfully under warranty. Then at 78,000 airbag control module went out and also needs to be replaced VW says it will cost nearly 1,000 to replace. This should be a recall but isn't.

Reported by tj23 and 1 other for the Cadillac DeVille

i got trapped in the tranny replacement thinking i would never have to worry about it again, hah 2 months after the warranty its back. 3year 100,000 miles warranty and 40,000 miles later the 4000 dollars i had put in the car is all for nil. this motor drivetrain has so many service bulletins it is a another high end GM rip off,that was junk to begin with and Cadillac wont own up to it. Lets see a 70,000 dollar throw away my house was a bit mor...

Reported by Jackie69 and 2 others for the Volvo S60

Alarm siren module does not work and then the sun roof will not work.Need to replace the alarm module,in from of drivers side front wheel.

Reported by Ben Zone for the Toyota Avalon

I happen to drive through a flooded street, spent around 2 hours in a traffic jam, then the car started displaying battery check signs on the screen. 22minutes later, the lamps went off, radio etc. when i managed to park, i let the engine cool then i restarted it and remove the positive battery terminal, the engine stopped!

Reported by tito7 for the Isuzu Ascender

air condition and windows won't work

Reported by Saw629 and 3 others for the Chevrolet Malibu

3 no starts in 2 weeks. First 2 times said security and made me buy new key. 3rd ubec
, relay and wire harness melted. 3 months later no start not getting fuel. If they would recall ignition switch and security system everyone complain nhtsa site

Reported by stormruneJB and 3 others for the Buick LaCrosse

Sometimes if I put my purse in the passenger seat, it triggers the seat belt alarm. Weight is about 2-3 lbs. The alarm will not turn off even if I move my purse to the floor. Must turn off the car, put purse in floor and then turn it back on. Dealer says that it is caused by my cell phone in my purse and that there is a bulletin out about this problem. The fix is to never put my purse in the passenger seat.

Reported by julie happy and 1 other for the Chevrolet Impala

Last year I paid about $700 or $800 cause my car didn't want to start at first the light read security then I wait 10min then it would start and one day the car didn't want to start I took my car in to the dealer and they told me they have to redue the key code. They said after so many miles the code changes. I feel I should get a reburissment for spending so much money on just to reduce the code. Please help me I want my money back.

Reported by cosmoncomet and 2 others for the Nissan Versa

A/C condenser located at the BOTTOM of radiator 2 feet off the ground. Gee, wonder why it picked up a road stone and went thru condenser? Now my 11 month old Versa has to have $1000.00 of repair to fix an obvious manufacturers design flaw. Not happy.

Reported by vancouvermom and 2 others for the Toyota Sienna

We bought our 2004 Sienna new, drove it in town and on vacations. The transmission died at 250000 mms or about 155000 miles. It would have cost more to replace the transmission than the value of the car so it had no trade-in value. Toyota's usual reliability and resale value was sorely missing.

Reported by DawgsinFL for the Mini Cooper

Belt tensioner went out. Diangosis from service center: A/C comp bolts broken, damaging both tensioners. Replaced A/C compressor, extracted broken bolts from block, repalced studs and nuts, replaced both tensioners.

Reported by DawgsinFL and 1 other for the Mini Cooper

Car ran hot. Hood latch failed. Towed in. Had to have hood latch replaced. Then diagnosis included "cylinder head warped, cylinder walls scored, cyl 2 and cyl 3 filled with water rusted/pitted." Replaced motor. After engine install, technician diagnosed "knocking noise coming from pulleys of engine" and cause was "serp belt tensioner/friction gear assy faulty due to mechanical malfunction - excessive bearing clearance causing pulley movement a...

Reported by DawgsinFL for the Mini Cooper

Starter with solenoid replaced at 58312 miles.