Car problem reports

Problem with your car? See what our experts say or submit your own.

Newest reported car problems

Reported by dberriel for the BMW 528xi

GPS will not read disk , whole (ccc) system wont turn on everytime ..to get system to start HOLD the cd next button or the mode button for several seconds to several minutes until it turns on ..

NOTE: gps still wont work, but all else will..

Reported by susielou and 2 others for the Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I was driving early one morning and it was dark out. All of a sudden my headlights went out. I hit the dimmer switch and they came back on, but while driving home the same thing happened again. I took it to one garage and he could not figure out what the problem was. The next time I drove after dark, the same thing happened again. I took the car to different garage and found that the multi function switch in the steering column was bad an...

Reported by willfixit and 1 other for the Ford Windstar

I was investagating the ABS indicator light on the van and why it stays on. During this time I was going through and fixing a few other things that had stopped working and one of them was the drivers side door power lock and also the passenger side power door lock, I aslo had trouble with the interior lights flashing while I was driving. I decide to change the lock assemble in both front doors to fix the power lock feature and be able to use t...

Reported by rangerwinslow for the Plymouth Grand Voyager

Some of the "idiot" and other indicator lights were intermittently failing just after I bought our van used a year ago. Most repair info suggested replacing the instrument cluster, but upon further digging I found the true problem is cold (bad) solder joints in the circuit board at the FACTORY!

Having 9 years professional electronics repair experience, all I had to do was yank the cluster, reflow EVERY soldered connection on the board, d...

Reported by AFAULK for the Mercedes-Benz CLK500

It makes the whoe car haywire. Sparatic Enginle light, Abs warning, Esp warning, loss of speedometer sometimes, Brake Wear warning, Abs light. They can go away and come back. The best part is when you have these lights, the car will stay stuck in park, if restarting doesn't clear, you need a pointess pencil and the manua release is located through a little whole in your middle console (behind the little slide out drawer). What a headache!

Reported by allenw for the Toyota Tundra

The AIR Pump (or otherwise know as the smog pump in the old days) that preheats the cadilidic converters by running for 1 minute after engine start will fail. It produces a P1445 or P14442 error. I have two of these vehicles and both have failed at around 100K miles. The cause is the foam inside the pump deteriorates and gets in the hi speed fan. That burns out the DC motor that runs it. The cost of this pump is $1200 plus $800 labor because i...

Reported by ssheila1950 for the Chrysler 300M

First: is the clock light is on but the clock wont run
second: when I turn on the air or heat the wording shows up sometimes and sometimes not
If it is not on I can't see what position I want the heat or air on, no wording, it comes on
sometimes and sometime it doesn't.

Reported by DeanLisi for the Ford Explorer

The engine was running perectly when all of a sudden it started misfiring and check engine light began to flash. Ford Dealer said timing chain jumped bent a few valves, broke apart and pieces fell down into the internal engine. Also said this has been an ongoing problem for years.. Dealer said approximately $10,000 to repar... YES "$10,000" is the exact number he quoated me. My warranty is 60,000 miles I am 113 mile over the warr...

Reported by Srinivas1971 for the Audi A4

Backside of steering there is a digital display which have all meters etc. When I put the key and start the car some times I am finding car symbol. In that car symbol front (bonnet) shows red blinking. Please let me know what is the problem

Reported by lifeson22 and 1 other for the Subaru Legacy

At 150,000 miles, my Subaru Legacy developed a problem with the radio. Depending on my luck, the radio might or might not turn on. Eventually, the radio stopped working altogether, instead making a loud feedback type of noise. Subaru maintenance crew told me that the issue was electrical in nature and would cost upwards of $600 to repair.

Reported by lifeson22 for the Subaru Legacy

My Subaru Legacy experienced three blown wheel bearings. Each time, the car would develop a droning noise, which would get progressively louder with continued driving. A fourth was in the works when my engine blew due to a leaking head gasket. Each wheel bearing cost $450 to replace.

Reported by lifeson22 for the Subaru Legacy

At 130,000 miles, the engine began to overheat. I could smell burning oil while driving and, especially, while idling. Subaru maintenance told me I had an engine fan failure and that I had to replace both fans at a cost of $600. I refused to replace the fans at that time and took the car to a different dealership, where I was told that the fans were working fine...

...but that the head gasket was blown. Not just the head gasket either - the...

Reported by kortas1973 and 1 other for the Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

The Throttle body had a censor inside go bad. We had to replace it twice.

Reported by Wisenheimer for the Mercedes-Benz E320 BLUETEC

Engine light on, but car working well, EXCEPT no downshift on acceleration. Power off slightly. Cause was a leak in the large diameter high pressure hose to/from the intercooler.

Reported by Ricola and 1 other for the Volkswagen CC

Have had several problems electrical. Interior light will go out after only 5 seconds of the door opening. Playing the radio while the engine is off radio will announce that it will be shutting down due to the fact that the battery is too low, I once started the car and the passenger window went all the way down, the instrument panel Speed for example will change to whatever it wants too, when starting the engine radio will occasionally be ver...

Reported by linmerc04 and 3 others for the Lincoln Aviator

The sunroof may leak and the problem is the little drain ports may be clogged.

4 Reports

Verified for the Dodge Durango

On the 5.2L and 5.9L V8 engines, rerouting the ignition coil wire and spark plug wires can help solve a misfire and/or surge problem that occurs at approximately 45 mph. A service bulletin was published that outlines the specifics of the repair. It states the rerouting procedure should be performed before other repairs are done for misfires, surging or spark knock.

Verified for the Dodge Durango

On the 5.9L V8 engine, rerouting the ignition coil wire and spark plug wires can help solve a misfire and/or surge problem that occurs at approximately 45 mph. A service bulletin was published that outlines the specifics of the repair. It states the rerouting procedure should be performed before other repairs are done for misfires, surging or spark knock.

Verified for the Volkswagen Beetle TDI

Because of issues with the glow plugs and/or the glow plug wiring harness from the control relay, the Check Engine Light may illuminate. Our technicians tell us there is a service bulletin, not a recall from Volkswagen regarding replacement of the glow plugs on 2004-2005 model years only.

Verified for the Volkswagen Touareg TDI

Because of issues with the glow plugs and/or the glow plug wiring harness from the control relay, the Check Engine Light may illuminate. Our technicians tell us there is a service bulletin, not a recall from Volkswagen regarding replacement of the glow plugs on the 2004 model year only.

Verified for the Ford E-350

The spark plugs may become dislodged from the cylinder heads. A loud popping noise can be heard and a subsequent misfire experienced. The threads on the spark plug ports in the cylinder head(s) can become stripped or missing when the spark plug is dislodged. The threads in cylinder heads may be replaced using “Lock-N-Stitch” aluminum inserts. Our technicians tell us thread replacement is performed when the vehicle is out of base warranty. Vehicles under base warranty receive a new cylinder head.

26 Reports

Verified for the Mercury Marauder

Low compression caused by leakage from exhaust valves can cause the check engine light to illuminate indicating an engine misfire. The cylinder head will need to be rebuilt by a qualified machine shop if possible. Please note that this problem will require careful diagnosis because misfires can also be caused by basic ignition components like spark plugs, coils, etc.

Verified for the Mercury Marauder

Verified for the Ford E-350

The Check Engine Light may illuminate, the engine may run rough and have misfires on acceleration. Commonly the ignition coils and/or the ignition coil boots are the cause of this problem. The rubber boot that insulates the coil to the spark plug can dry and crack allowing arcing. Inspect the coils and boots, and replace them as needed. Our technicians also recommend replacing the coil boots any time the spark plugs are replaced.

35 Reports

Verified for the Porsche 911 Turbo

The accumulation of moisture at major connectors and control units can cause various ABS/PDAS faults due to corrosion.

7 Reports

Verified for the Porsche 911 Turbo

Check Engine Light illumination and performance issues can be caused by oxygen sensor faults.

6 Reports

Verified for the Porsche 911 Turbo

Cam tensioner/cam timing issues can cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate.

10 Reports

Verified for the Ford E-350

The engine may have a misfire, hesitation, and/or run roughly – notably after a service and/or ignition wire replacement. If after recent ignition wire replacement, the cause can be misrouted ignition wires. The wires from the distributor to the valve cover must be routed correctly to avoid interference and induction crossfire. Verify all clips are used to secure and separate ignition wires.

Verified for the Audi A3

An engine misfire may develop from one or more cylinders resulting in a loss of power and illumination of the Check Engine Light. Our technicians tell us that ignition coil failure is a common cause for this concern. On high mileage vehicles it may be wise to consider replacing all of the ignition coils if one fails to try and avoid future misfire issues on another cylinder.

Verified for the Audi A3 Quattro