Problems with Engine Idle on Ford Escort

Average mileage: 108,868 (3,594–199,800)
Engines affected: 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC, 2.0L 4 Cylinder SOHC
4 model years affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002 more
11 people reported this problem
7 people shared problem details
1998 Ford Escort- 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC112,000
I purchased my 1998 Ford Escort ZX2 from a private owner. His daughter had been using it to travel back and forth to college. The price was right, and so was the mileage at just 112,000 miles. Aside from the few to be expected highway dings, the vehicle was in good condition. One morning when I went out to start it I noticedthat the car was idling very low, below 1,000 RPMs. It actually stalled once or twice. I ruled out an electrical problem at first because the car cranked right back over. It just would not idle correctly. One by one I had ruled out the fuel injectors, and many of the other usual suspects. That is when I became aware of this problem that the Escort is prone to having with its CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module). I took the car in to my guy for service, and I am still waiting to get it back. While it's been in the shop I also became aware that the entire exhaust system is shot. From what my mechanic tells me th vehicle still has all original equipment. I guess the previous owner's idea of vehicle maintenance was to check the fluids once in a while and change the oil every 3,000 - 7,500 miles. I am pretty confident that this problem with the idle is due to a faulty CCRM. The more I have read up on the subject the more confident I have become. I should also let it be known that from the time I bought the car the interior cooling(A/C) fan has not worked on any setting. This just helped to bolster the theory about the CCRM. I figure that the defective CCRM has failed to provide power to either the fuel pump, the powertrain control module(PCM) or both. So, once he finishes replacing the entire exhaust system and repairs or replaces the CCRM I figure I'm looking at a bill somewhere around the $500-$700 range. Some would think it might not be worth it but I gotta say that the car has grown on me since I bought it. It runs great on the highway, has impressive pick-up for a 4-cylinder, and isgenerally good on gas. The suspension is nice and tight, just what one would expect from a sporty little car. All around it's just fun to drive. Hopefully this will resolve the problem and I can get it back on the road ASAP. I have always been a Honda guy at heart, but this ZX2 has impressed me. I did make the mistake of buying a VW Jetta once during my college years. It was like driving a go-cart without any of the fun. Anyway, I should be getting the vehicle back early this week and I'll be sure to post a follow up to let anyone with similar questions know how everything turned out, and more importantly, how much it cost to complete the repairs. Be safe out there on the roads.
23 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2002 Ford Escort- 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC105,000
bad idle with ac on
3 people like thisFlag inappropiate
1999 Ford Escort- 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC3,594
Shift weird, really hard on gas, probably an exhaust leak somewhere as well. Seems like I'm putting 20 bucks in gas daily even if I only go 5miles down the road. What could cause such a fast leak in such a small amount of time and getting worst daily
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
1998 Ford Escort- 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC129,000
Turn on air and engine power greatly decreases, loud moan from under hood, loss of dash board lights.
1998 Ford Escort- 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC199,800
Doesn't have take off , bogs down , air conditioner won't come on and problems with radio
2000 Ford Escort16,550
Different people feel it's a vacuum leak. I agree it coughs, chokes, sputters under the 1000 rpms. Tricky thing is the accillerator is sticking and winds itself up to 4000 rpms.. It'll go 30 to 40 mph on its own. Something else is happening here in thinking. It needs a tune up. Just got an oilchsnge. Starts like a champ every time.
1999 Ford Escort- 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC160,000
engine ran very rough idle stalled could not run without foot on gas, ground vacuum hose for the 90 degree boot underneath intake manifold wore out and collapsed. Replaced 90 degree angle vacuum boots solved engine running problem.
When I turn on my air I 'feel' it pull on the engine. Does this mean compressor or new belt? Or...
Have Valve train noise at 56,000 miles, engine oil and filter changed, drove about 70 miles hav...
my timing belt bgoke on my car and the repair shop said I could possibly have an interfence eng...
I have a 2001 Ford Escort ZX2 with 120,000 miles. I had the timing belt, Serpentine belt and Va...