Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement on Pontiac G6

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 93,655 (6,500–238,000)
6 model years affected: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, more2009, 2010
171 people reported this problem
114 people shared problem details
2007 Pontiac G677,000
Right now my car is showing a power steering warning, and the steering wheel is shaking very bad. I've notice if you turn the car off and restart it 80% of the time the problem goes away. There is also knocking when slightly turning the wheel.
53 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2010 Pontiac G692,000
Power steering shuts off mid driving or isn't on when I start the car. Steering wheel shakes horribly bad and vears to the left. Was told my vin number is not one of the recalled cars. Bunch of b.s.! They want me to pay out of pocket 1st and maybe it will be recalled. They offered to pay 10%...what crap. Guess ill have to wait until its recalled. Im not spending all that money for their mistakes.
23 people like thisFlag inappropiate
While the car is still warming up there is very little power steering assist. Very difficult to steer and if you start to pull out of a parking stall before turning the steering wheel you can be in for big surprise when you need to turn.
17 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2006 Pontiac G670,000
my check gas cap lite comes on. i double check it the first time but it continues. also, my power steering isn't working properly. It freezes up while I'm driving which makes steering DIFFICULT especially when turning and it freezes at that time.
11 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2006 Pontiac G667,000
i have recently bought my car from a friend, and its only been drivin a short bit off time. i was turning in the middle of the highway and my steering locked up on me, and we almost crashed, that has been the scariest thing that has ever happened, i took me and my friend to steer cuz it was so hard, ever since my car locks up almost ever curve i make, i have to kill my car and restart it, just to losen the wheel up, i will be giving the dealership a call in the am,,,is there anything else that i should do are any suggestions?
10 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2007 Pontiac G6111,000
Power steering finally just quit . No warning.
8 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2007 Pontiac G646,000
When I first bought car, 39000 miles I noticed clunk when I took off and was turning. They agreed to fix it for me before I took it. Stopped up until maybe 9 months ago and now it is doing it again. I saw drivetrain warranty is 5 year or 100,000 miles. Doesn't that mean they should fix it RIGHT this time?
8 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Symptom was a click noise when made sharp turns while going slow. Dealer fixed a minimal charge because it is such a know problem.
6 people like thisFlag inappropiate
The power steering light began appearing a couple months ago, but the power steering was not affected. A few days ago the power steering began going out. If I restart the car, it seems to fix it. I took it to a mechanic who says it's a bad sensor, but that you can not replace only the sensor, the entire steering column must be replaced at a cost of just over $500.
6 people like thisFlag inappropiate
clicking in steering column something loose power steering readout comes up intermittenly , has done this before at only 30,000 miles and was supposedly fixed at dealership , same problem AGAIN
5 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2010 Pontiac G6105,000
Driving at a speed of 35 MPH and the steering just when off and was hard to steer. CHECK POWER STEERING SERVICE ESC and the ESC off indicator came on (the warning came at the same time, so that was worthless) and had to re-set by turning the car off. It happens again on 2/23/2015. When it did happen it was nearly impossible to steer. I see where GM has recalled up to the year 2009 but not beyond that. What’s up GM?? I have been a GM owner most of my life, but if GM does not own up to this problem I will not be buying another GM product. I purchased this car brand new. Estimated cost to repair this problem is between $800.00 to $1200.00 GM RECALL IT NOW BEFORE SOMEONE GET HURT OR KILLED!!!!!
2010 Pontiac G696,000
I submitted the following e-mail to the NHTSA regarding my 2010 Pontiac G6 power steering matter. Dear NHTSA; I own a 2010 Pontiac G6 that within the last week incurred a power steering failure. Recall research shows that on March 2014 the NHTSA required GM to issue a recall for this exact problem, however, it only covered the G6 models up to the year 2009. The Service Advisor at the dealership acknowledged that the "problem" was very similar to the steering problem for earlier models that are subject to the recall. However, since the 2010 model year was not included in the NHTSA recall, the cost to repair the problem falls to the consumer and is estimated to be in the $1,800 to $2,000 range. This is clearly a safety issue and mirrors the same characteristic's as earlier models included in the recall. I have contacted GM regarding this matter and have been assured that a local customer service representative will be contacting me within 48 hours. While I appreciate GM's willingness to "consider" the matter, I urge the NHTSA to re-visit the model years subject to the recall. The consumer should not be burdened with the cost of repairing what is obviously a design defect. Further and more importantly is safety for the passengers and other drivers on the road. I hope that the NHTSA will investigate this matter accordingly and amend the power steering recall to include 2010 models. Thank you.
2010 Pontiac G690,000
The problem start back in June 2013 when my 2010 Pontiac G6 started flashing a trouble code in the DIC message screen. The problem first started as an annoying issue the code would say CHECK POWER STEERING SERVICE ESC and the ESC off indicator would light up this would happen on startup and for months all I would do is turn the key off and restart the car and it went away and the car worked fine. This would pop up sporadically sometimes multiple weeks without out a problem. Then back in November 2013 the problem remained exactly the same but it would not reset unless I removed the key from the ignition then reinsert the key and it would start and the car would again work fine. However, in December 2013 as I was traveling 70mph down the interstate radio cranked up and did not hear the alert of the trouble code (which never happened while driving only when starting) I went to pass a car and my car did not respond to the steering. I immediately grabbed the wheel with both hands and with everything I had I steered the car and got pulled over to safety on the side off the road. I was happy this didn't happen just 3 miles further down the road as I would have had to negotiate a set of curves that I'm almost certain would have required more steering wheel rotation and most likely would have resulted in an accident. I was very surprised by the amount of power and upper body strength needed to steer the car. The car has been sitting in storage since as I try to determine what to do with it. I went to TWO local GM/Pontiac dealers and was told the issue is a common one on earlier model G6s and there is a GM recall/service bulletin on earlier models but not the 2010. They went as far as to explain it was the same equipment used on the 2010 model but did not have a recall/service bulleting on the 2010. I am very disappointed. I have been a dedicated GM owner for my entire life and cannot believe I'm considering a different brand.
2010 Pontiac G6100,000
Service esc displays and then immediately after the power steering displays and I lose all power steering. Wheel shakes and makes a crinkling sound. It comes on and off when I turn the car on and off
2010 Pontiac G6109,000
Steering wheel shake at idle, clunk noise when turning... Catching feeling and excess play in steering at highway speeds.
2007 Pontiac G6109,000
Power streeing flashes across screen and my car shakes really bad. It shakes so bad the hubcaps popped off.
2007 Pontiac G680,000
Had the steering column problem, sounded and felt rough when turning.After having it repaired every thing was back to normal.
2007 Pontiac G683,539
Power stearing went out. Only works for a short period of time after i start the car.
2005 Pontiac G676,000
WARNING LIGHT ON DURING OPERATING MY CAR. POWER STEERING COMES AND GOES.
2005 Pontiac G629,245
STOPPED AT INTERSECTION AND RECEIVED TWO CHIMES, DIC MESSAGE "POWER STEERING". WHEEL WOULD NOT MOVE. PUT CAR IN PARK, TURNED ENGINE OFF/ON. POWER STEERING RESUMED AS NORMAL. TOOK CAR TO DEALERSHIP NEXT DAY TO HAVE REPLACEMENT STEERING COLUMN INSTALLED (AT NO CHARGE, BC PONTIAC EXTENDED WARRANTY ON STEERING COLUMNS)
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
Where does the power steering fluid go in the 3.5 V6??
what can I do to fix the problem I have that my brakes and rotors keep needing repaired! I onl...
My power steering light comes on but there is no where to put power steering fluid? Why is the...
Car running like crap all of a sudden, loss of engine power, traction control and check engine...
Various electrical issues may be caused by poor terminal contact at the body control module (B...