Car Problem Reports

Pontiac G6 Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement

Pontiac G6 Problem
105 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Average Mileage: 91,754 mi (8,000 mi - 238,000 mi)

Verified

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

• Visitor, , 77,000 mi

Right now my car is showing a power steering warning, and the steering wheel is shaking very bad. I've notice if you turn the car off and restart it 80% of the time the problem goes away. There is also knocking when slightly turning the wheel.

• Wags05, , 75,000 mi

While the car is still warming up there is very little power steering assist. Very difficult to steer and if you start to pull out of a parking stall before turning the steering wheel you can be in for big surprise when you need to turn.

• Visitor, , 70,000 mi

my check gas cap lite comes on. i double check it the first time but it continues. also, my power steering isn't working properly. It freezes up while I'm driving which makes steering DIFFICULT especially when turning and it freezes at that time.

• Visitor, , 46,000 mi

When I first bought car, 39000 miles I noticed clunk when I took off and was turning. They agreed to fix it for me before I took it. Stopped up until maybe 9 months ago and now it is doing it again. I saw drivetrain warranty is 5 year or 100,000 miles. Doesn't that mean they should fix it RIGHT this time?

• Visitor, , 111,000 mi

Power steering finally just quit . No warning.

•  Rookie

Symptom was a click noise when made sharp turns while going slow. Dealer fixed a minimal charge because it is such a know problem.

• Profile_thumbnail

The power steering light began appearing a couple months ago, but the power steering was not affected. A few days ago the power steering began going out. If I restart the car, it seems to fix it. I took it to a mechanic who says it's a bad sensor, but that you can not replace only the sensor, the entire steering column must be replaced at a cost of just over $500.

• Visitor, , 67,000 mi

i have recently bought my car from a friend, and its only been drivin a short bit off time. i was turning in the middle of the highway and my steering locked up on me, and we almost crashed, that has been the scariest thing that has ever happened, i took me and my friend to steer cuz it was so hard, ever since my car locks up almost ever curve i make, i have to kill my car and restart it, just to losen the wheel up, i will be giving the dealership a call in the am,,,is there anything else that i should do are any suggestions?

• Visitor,

clicking in steering column something loose power steering readout comes up intermittenly , has done this before at only 30,000 miles and was supposedly fixed at dealership , same problem AGAIN

• Visitor, , 92,000 mi

Power steering shuts off mid driving or isn't on when I start the car. Steering wheel shakes horribly bad and vears to the left. Was told my vin number is not one of the recalled cars. Bunch of b.s.! They want me to pay out of pocket 1st and maybe it will be recalled. They offered to pay 10%...what crap. Guess ill have to wait until its recalled. Im not spending all that money for their mistakes.

+ See more reports