Rough Idle and/or Engine Stalling Condition on Lincoln Continental

In high dust areas, problems with the EGR system are common. The filter for the EGR solenoid may plug and cause the EGR to activate when it should not; this can cause the engine to stall. The dirty filter should be replaced to correct this concern.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 123,666 (45,000–178,000)
13 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
29 people reported this problem
8 people shared problem details
car starts fine and idles fine .....put in gear and stalls!!!!
Engine likes to stall at a stop sign, especially in colder weather
we went to pass a car so my girlfriend stept on the gas and the car down shifted and took off normally. we noticed a rotten egg smell and then car started running really ruff. almost like it was coughing. then we noticed a smell of oil. we drove maybe a mile home and parked it. next day she left for work and she noticed there was a hesitation and maybe drove a half mile and the car just died. when i got there it started back up but wasnt running right at all. there was a heavy miss and then just shut down. now the car wont start. sounds like it wants to but wont.
car will keep runing as long as you push on gas pedel. remove foot and car shuts off
Engine runs fine. Car stalls when placed in any gear
help Fixing/Cleaning EGR valve - Lincoln
Runs rough when idle.
clean filter and new vac hoses to now fine
please help me with this car shuts off when i am about to stop...and i put on t...
My car has the V8 engine, where is the EGR valve located on this car?
Prior to jacking or lifting a vehicle with air suspension, you must turn off the suspension sw...
The 'door ajar' lamb is lit when every door is closed and we are either stopped or driving. The...
my check engine light comes on and it is coding out to say a problem with the egr valve