2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Q&A

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Question: problems with down shifting

My 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe (91,000 miles) is not down shifting right. When I let off gas to coast, it acts like its either going to die or down shifts hard. Been doing this through 3 or 4 tanks of gas, so I know it is not bad fuel. Also, rpm is running high. -
Check engine light on 'check codes,sounds like bad IAC motor ,idle air controller or tps sensor throttle position sensor.. -
Comment 1
My check engine light is not on. Thank you for the response, any idea of cost in these possibilities? -
Comment 2
most likely your TCM (trans control solenoid). some places call it the PCM (powertrain control module). looks like this is a common problem on these vehicles. which engine is in your vehicle? RR -
Comment 3
Have found out (after spending a lot of money) that it is the tps. Will be a fairly cheap fix. Thanks to everyone who offered help. I truly appreciate it. -
sounds like your transmission is having a problem, the PCM may be intermittently failing, the MAP, MAF or TPS sensor could be bad or going bad. let me know if you find out the solution. -
Comment 1
I took it to the Hyundai dealership and had a scan ran on it. Had transmission fluid flushed and a new timing belt. Will see what happens. Thank you for your response. -
The timing belt can fail prematurely; if it fails while driving, it can cause catastrophic damage to the engine. Be sure that the timing belt is inspected and replaced according to the manufacturer...
my car is an automatic with the manual shift option the car will lose all power when I step on the gas mostly about 60 mph (sometimes slower) and shifts down then I have to manualy shift to ge...