Ford Q&A

2001 Ford Escape Question: Problems with back hatch window and door leaving door ajar light on

bhayden, 3.0L V6, Hays, KS, August 09, 2009, 05:04

Everytime I open my back hatch or the hatch window especially when it is hot outside and I shut the door or the window the door ajar light stays on. I have had this problem fixed once and it started back up a couple days later. How do I fix this myself because I was charged $30 for nothing because the problem is still there? Is there a way to unhook a sensor for the ajar light so it does not come on anymore until I can get it fixed so my battery doesn't run down, because even trying to shut the door and window over and over again will not turn the light off and they are both tightly shut?

• Medium-star Best Answer
    August 09, 2009, 06:00

Vehicle Application: 2003 Ford Escape 3.0L, Vin 1, Eng Cfg V6

Customer Concern: The door ajar indicator light and interior lights are staying on. The vehicle was just recently bumped in the back and the owner claims it was ok before that. The hatch was replaced.
    Tests/Procedures: 1. Perform self-test of the Generic Electronic Module (GEM) with all doors and the liftgate glass closed to identify a code for the faulty ajar switch(es), or use the data Parameter Identification (PID)s for verification of which switch is not indicating a closed position.

2. If both the liftgate glass and hatch ajar switches are indicated, verify that the Black (BK) wire at both switches is supplying a good ground from the tailgate.

3. If the ground is ok, check the C406 and the C408 connections to verify that both are properly seated to provide a voltage signal to the hatch and liftgate glass switches.
    Potential Causes: Circuit

Tech Tips: The hatch and liftgate switches are provided a voltage signal from the GEM. When the hatch or glass are closed, the switch closes and grounds out the voltage signal indicating that the hatch and glass are closed.

I hope this gives you an idea how complex your problem is. Take it to another repair shop with expertise to fix it right the first time.
    I hope I have been of some help.

Visitor, July 24, 2010, 21:43

Today, I just replaced my rear door lock actuator but now my door ajar light is on. Found out that the sensor on the rear glass is the culprit. I disconnected it and tomorrow, I'll go find a replacement.