PROBLEMS WITH ALTERNATOR on 1999 Ford Taurus

HELLO I HAD PUT A NEW BATTERY AND ALTERNATOR ON MY CAR NOW WHEN I START IT UP IT RUNNES UNTIL I TAKE THE CABLE OFF IT SHOULD BE RUNNING BUT IT STOPS WHAT SHOULD I DO

by in Raleigh, NC on August 15, 2010
1 answer
ANSWER by on August 15, 2010
Don't disconnect a battery cable or alternator power cable with the engine running it causes a surge in current that can damage the alternator. Turn on the ignition switch to the on but not run position do you see an icon on the instrument panel representing a battery, if you do not see this battery icon the alternator is not seeing power to allow it to charge. Start the engine does the battery icon go out. Put a volt meter across the battery terminals with the engine off, at rest the battery voltage should be 12.6 volts if the battery is fully charged. Now get a friend to start the car while you watch the voltmeter, the voltage reading across the battery should read approximately 14.6 volts if the alternator is charging correctly.
charge light on dash not on. is there anothr feed that activates alternator?
Hi, I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE 24 valve 3.0L DOHC with a huge problem. It started with the starter one day it just died on me so i had that replaced and when i turned my car on it started but the...
I have replaced the alternator. The vehicle worked fine for awhile after short drive. The tach,heater, radio quit working and battery light came on. Could it be just the battery?
is there a reasonable way to replace alternator
i checked the voltage and its 14.4 at the battery. the dash says its 13.9. i checked all grounds and replaced. i replaced the power cables too. i checked wiring to the pcm and i get the correct vol...