Engine Stalling and/or Hesitation on Acceleration due to Faulty Idle Air Bypass Valve on Mercury Grand Marquis

If you experience difficulty starting the engine when cold, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steady when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 98,220 (13,000–151,100)
6 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1999, 2000, more2001, 2006
11 people reported this problem
Viewing
of
problem details
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis 103,000 mi,
Engine turns over, but cuts off when I put it into gear. I have to sit with my foot on the gas pedal to keep it going. Usually, after 10-15 minutes - and several attempts - it will continue running when I take my foot off the gas pedal...then, I can go and it will keep running. Once in a while (1 in every 10-15 times) when I start it, it will immediately just run like it's supposed to.
it starts up and than it shuts off but starts back up. can anyone help me with this problem.
When accelerating between 1st and 2nd gear, there is a lengthy shift time, also I notice when pressing slightly harder on gas pedal while already in travel, it is not responsive as a v-8 should be with quick acceleration. It seems as either gas is not traveling through the gas pump at the required rate, or after getting my intake replaced, that possibly one of the (pistons/cylinders) could be bad, or may have a compression leak. No smoke or stalls and no problems starting when cold. Thanks!
my car cuts off when i crank it but if i give it gas it will stay running Take my foot off it cuts off then crank back up
1991 Mercury Grand Marquis 151,100 mi,
Cold starts difficult (long crank and had to throttle engine to keep idle going.)