Engine Stalling and/or Hesitation on Acceleration due to Faulty Idle Air Bypass Valve on Mercury Sable

If you experience difficulty starting the engine when cold, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steady when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 121,081 (1,000–204,000)
Engines affected: 3.0L V6, 3.0L V6 DOHC, 3.8L V6
14 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, more1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
42 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 20 of 23 problem details
2002 Mercury Sable 100,000 mi,
Idle control valve makes the idle high and with foot off the accelerator car runs at 40-45 MPH. I disconnected the electrical plug to the valve and car runs great!
2003 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 187,000 mi,
My car sputters at stop signs and signal light as well as rpm goes up and down when sitting in park and when stopped at lights or stop signs what could this be
2002 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 150,000 mi,
Revs up and down when idling change the Idle control valve and still does the same
2001 Mercury Sable 145,000 mi,
Car starts,but dies immediatley when take foot off gas. When pressing on gas, will die if I dont rev engine. Also, this summer electric locks stopped working and recently car seems to idle high when sitting or when I put heat on.
2002 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 DOHC 204,000 mi,
idling very rough and sluggish when taking off runs fine when get up to speed been researching all night seems to be iac will change and hope for the best!
2001 Mercury Sable 109,000 mi,
when i start the car it revs up on and off with out me hitting the pedal. also it stalled twice on me while i was on the highway exit ramp. rear three spark plugs are impossible to get to and the driver side door wouldn't lock with the remote locking device or the car lock button.
1990 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 60,000 mi,
hesitation in engine, and check engine light is coming on and off.
1994 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 150,000 mi,
Car sputters when you mash the gas mostly when the first few miles and when engine is cold
2002 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 DOHC 155,000 mi,
idels way to fast
2002 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 124,000 mi,
When the car is in drive, it jerks and hesitates while idling. If I put it in neutral, it's fine for the most part.
1994 Mercury Sable - 3.8L V6 180,000 mi,
As you accelerate half pedal rpms good and as you give it go to the floor bogs out
2002 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 DOHC 160,000 mi,
Rough Idle problem, be careful WRONG Idle Control valves IAC are being sold for this year model, that cause super high idles over 2,000 rpm then settles down. Looking inside it, it has a little brass shaft with a spring extending out. Check first before buying. I need to find a another source to purchase, the Ford dealer wanted 2 1/2 times more than the general parts store. My local Ford dealership didn't have the part in stock so I was not able to inspect it for not having the extended bass shaft.
2002 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 DOHC 54,100 mi,
My car stalled out, all the panel icons flashed when I was either braking and barely moving in traffic and when I would also turn on the heater. I thought it might be the fuel filter...and had it changed, but it was a minor expense.. The problem continues, though...will take it in to have the idel air bypass valve investigated. When I took it to the mechanic before he could not replicate the problem and only changed the fuel filter,because I insisted. I think I will take it to the dealership this time.
2002 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 DOHC 69,000 mi,
replaced it with the latest,updated Motorcraft part because there was a Ford TSB [technical service bulletin] release about it
2004 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 99,000 mi,
Everything in your description was accurate to the tee
same problem. haven't found a solution - still searching even after spending over $500 unnecessarily at the Ford dealership.
2000 Mercury Sable 1,000 mi,
will not idle when cold have to keep foot on gas.. When warm will sputter when idleing
1996 Mercury Sable - 3.0L V6 121,491 mi,
Seems likz it wont down shift while going
When I'm at a red light my car accelerates and decelerates on its own on the RPMs go up and down Mitsubishi Eclipse in 98
There is a hesitation when I accelerate