Problem with Fuel Pump and Fuel Tank on 2005 Volvo S80

I have always serviced and taken care of my car in a timely manner to avoid any serious problems. My car has 68,500 miles and I have had the fuel pump replaced 3 times. My check engine light went on about a week ago and I took it in to the dealer for service, mind you, I am under 100,000 mile warranty, certified and pre-owned. The three previous times I did not pay for fuel pump repair, however, now: Cause: Performed diagnostics and scan for codes ECM-2900 Fuel pressure Faulty Signal Tech checked Duty Cycle 50.94% upon removing the left side pump te3ch found alot of sedement in the tank. Correction: Tech cleaned the screen of the fuel pump cleared DTC codes and reset parameters customer is aware that when the check engine light comes back on a new fuel tank and pump will be needed. Cost $2006.98. I only use Premium gas and now am being told after 3 pumps I have to pay for the forth, I feel this is a problem with the Fuel System itself. Please advise on how I should handle this one. I feel like trading it in and getting something I can depend on.

by in East Stroudsburg, PA on March 01, 2011
2 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on March 01, 2011
Sediment in the fuel tank is a serious issue. Where do you buy your fuel? If the fuel has sediment, premium grade will make no difference. When I take apart fuel tanks, there is zero sediment, none. No matter what type of car you get, sediment will ruin the fuel pumps, I once took care of a fleet of 600 trucks and cars, and we were using a filling station that had problems with their underground storage tanks, and I had to replace over 100 fuel pumps. Of course we switched where we bought fuel and had no more issues again, ever. Food for thought.
ANSWER by on March 02, 2011
first of all, Volvo is expensive to repair, there are not a lot of independent shops that can diagnose it and it not a dependable car like a Honda or Toyota. buying premium fuel means nothing today. read the info on this website www.toptiergas.com and ONLY buy top tier fuel. my shop's invoices have a specific disclaimer for contaminated fuel. no dealer or shop is responsible for fuel issues, period.
COMMENT by on March 03, 2011