Lexus Q&A

2004 Lexus LS430 Question: Problem with driver side rear view mirror housing

rshekar, 4.3L V8, Silver Spring, MD, April 13, 2011, 17:36

Each time I start the engine the left mirror housing hyperextends all the way(faces to the leftside). With some difficuly I can mannually bring it to the right position but after turning off the engine and start again it repeats the same problem.Is this reported before. What to do other than replacing the whole mirror unit. I wonder can this function be disabled. Thanks

April 19, 2011, 16:38

I have a feeling that the problem is not in the mirror itself but in the control. You could possibly remove the trim panel and disconnect the connector at the mirror to disable it. I recommend you find a Lexus or Toyota specialist for help.
    If you want to find a specialist, here's a directory link for you:

• Medium-star Best Answer
    January 27, 2014, 07:31

I'm having the same problem. My mechanic is looking at it and I've instructed him to disconnect the extention part if nothing else works. Will let you know if this works.

Update: My mechanic deactivated the motor that turns the mirror assembly out and in. He was successful and it works perfectly. I can still rotate the mirror assembly inward by hand if necessary. The mirror itself adjust back and to or up and down just fine. Costs: $70. Better that replacing whole mirror unit at $700.