Problem with driver side rear view mirror housing on 2004 Lexus LS430

Each time I start the engine the left mirror housing hyperextends all the way(faces to the leftside). With some difficuly I can mannually bring it to the right position but after turning off the engine and start again it repeats the same problem.Is this reported before. What to do other than replacing the whole mirror unit. I wonder can this function be disabled. Thanks

Asked by for the 2004 Lexus LS430
I'm having the same problem. My mechanic is looking at it and I've instructed him to disconnect the extention part if nothing else works. Will let you know if this works.

Update: My mechanic deactivated the motor that turns the mirror assembly out and in. He was successful and it works perfectly. I can still rotate the mirror assembly inward by hand if necessary. The mirror itself adjust back and to or up and down just fine. Costs: $70. Better that replacing whole mirror unit at $700.
3 answers
Yea right call and take to a dealership or a Lexus approved dealership. Either way you are getting ripped off . My mechanic took 10 min and disconnected it for 10.00
I have a feeling that the problem is not in the mirror itself but in the control. You could possibly remove the trim panel and disconnect the connector at the mirror to disable it. I recommend you find a Lexus or Toyota specialist for help.
If you want to find a specialist, here's a directory link for you: