problem front end shimmy on 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

drives normal then when you hit 50 MPH it shakes really really bad. Like everything is gonna fall out from under the front end.i've replaced all but trailing arm bushings

by in Troy, MI on May 23, 2009
4 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on May 25, 2009
I am not very familiar with your Jeep but have you tried rotating the tires front to rear. Do the tires appear to wear evenly, no "scalloping" or uneven tire wear that may be due to bad shock absorbers? Does your Jeep have a shock absorber on the steering linkage to act as a steering damper, they leak or wear out causing symptoms like what you describe.
ANSWER by on March 06, 2010
have you had the rocker arms checked?
ANSWER by on May 20, 2010
what u describe sounds like what is commonly referred to as "death wobbles" common problem with lifted vehicles and oversized tires. have u recently changed tires? if so try rotating them and or re balencing them. other causes are- steering stabilizer worn,worn tie rods and or ball joints, bad tire, front end alighnment, trac bar bushings, control arm bushings, wheel bearings. thats some of the causes i have encountered, i build alot of 4x4's lol
COMMENT by on February 12, 2011
Your problem is the track bar. You need to torch out the old rubber and insert a newer bushing.
ANSWER by on September 11, 2012
Steering Stabilizer shock absorber needs to be replaced
we recently had new seals installed in the rear axel along with all new rear bushings.Oddly the front end now wobbels loudly.Upon applying the brakes the wobble stops.It seems to be opposite of the...
when I get the shimmy it is felt in the steering but I have had the tires checked and balanced but I still get it slightly. I also feel a vibration when I brake at highway speeds. I think it may ...
I recently noticed that whenever I drive over bumps in the road, my jeep begins to shake severely until I slow my speed down to nearly 10 or 15mph. What could be causing this to happen and how muc...