Pontiac Q&A

2005 Pontiac Sunfire Question: Power window problems

calley, Austin, TX, June 17, 2010, 10:26

for about 4 months my power windows have been acting funny. Sometimes they will go up. I have to press on the window button a couple of times before it will go up. Now driver side window will not go up at all. anyone else have this problem and can someone help me fix it?

• Medium-star Best Answer
    June 17, 2010, 17:33

It is not uncommon for window motors to fail on Pontiac Sunfires. Commonly the window will roll a bit and then stop, after waiting a short time the window will again roll a bit a stop. If this is what you have experienced then chances are the window motor has failed. The only way to confirm this would be to remove the door panel and test the power and ground to the window motor.

January 02, 2015, 16:02

I just had this problem as well. My wife's car has had off limits on the passengers window. Just in time for winter weather her drivers window quit working, and it stopped working at about 80% open (before I could do anything about it) it got plastic and duct tape. I went online and read several sites posts, where it is a forgone conclusion that the motors die. I thought it over and with what information I could gather, decided that the problem more so reflected that the control switches could be the issue. I pulled the switches and tore things down. Sure enough the design that put the switches on the console is a very poor design. Dirt, dog hair, sand, etc had inundated the switches and they were burnt, charred, and completely not possibly functional. I cleaned and polished and renewed the lube on them, tested them, and then plugged them back into the car and guess what, both windows work perfectly. All I can say is, if your motors are for sure burned up, it most likely is because the switches got gunked up and caused the problem to become more serious. I will soon put a video on You-tube explaining the issue and several tricks needed to successfully repair them (seeing as how they are basically designed to be UN-repairable).